Available 215/40/R17 which meet load/speed rating

xoom

Hi All,

I am currently searching for tyres to go with my rims and after looking high and low and hours n hours on the web i thought i will be really nice :P :P and post my findings for anyone who might be interested.

Ok i am after 215/40/17 which meet or exceed the standard rating of 87V as i dont want any insurance issues... mind u along the way i found many many many tyres in this size which did not meet the rating so all i say is use any of those at ur own risk.

Ok i have done my research for this tyre size and rating based on 16 tyre manufacturors which supply to Australia so i think its pretty comprehensive but if i missed any manufacturors i wouldnt mind knowing.

Ok here's my findings

Bridgestone, Firestone, Pirelli and Goodyear dont make tyres to meet what is required.

Kelly Tyres and Cooper Tyres from what i could find only make 4x4 tyres.

Olympic tyres i couldnt find any info on their products anywhere.

Now to the ones that did make a tyre with 215/40/17 and rating 87V or better:

Manufacturer - Model - Approx price per tyre - Rating

Michelin - Pilot Preceda - $380+ - 87V

Dunlop - SP Sport 8000E - $??? - 87Y

Falken - Ziex ZE512 - $175 to $190 - 87W

Falken - GRB 451 - $??? - 87? (note these also come in a 84 speed rating)

Kumho - Ecsto KU21 - $??? - 87W

Hankook - Ventus K102 - $??? - 87W (the XL version)

Hankook - Ventus Sport K104 - $175 to $190 - 87Y

Toyo - Proxes T1-R - $??? - 87W

Toyo - Proxes T1-S - $??? - 87W (note these are being replaced by T1-R)

Toyo - Tranpath SW - $??? - 87W

Yokohama - A539 - $??? - 87W (note apparently these arent made anymore)

GT Radial - Champrio HPZ 40 - $??? - 87W

GT Radial - Champrio 328 - $??? - 87W

Continental - Sport Contact - $??? - 87Z

Continental - Sport Contact XL - $??? - 87Z

Continental - Sport Contact 2 XL - $??? - 87Y

cheers

Bill

p.s. i just relized i miss typed the topic heading "214/40/R17" :P :P :P

cheers

Bill

p.s. i just relized i miss typed the topic heading "214/40/R17"  :P  :P  :P

Bill, the Yokohama A539 has bee replaced by the C. Drive and they don't come in 40series rubber. You can go 215/45ZR17 91W rating though and probably cost you $260 each tyre from BobJane.

At least the ones that know what they are talking about Marcus... I had one guy want to fit, 205/40r17 to mine :blink::blink::blink::blink:

I obviously didn't go back there!!!

also what about BF Goodrich???

Zee - I can confirm that is the price Bob Jane quoted me, no wonder you stuck with 16's. <_<

Edited by Blue_Stivo

At least the ones that know what they are talking about Marcus... I had one guy want to fit, 205/40r17 to mine  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

I obviously didn't go back there!!!

also what about BF Goodrich???

Zee - I can confirm that is the price Bob Jane quoted me, no wonder you stuck with 16's.  <_<

:D Yeh Dylan, mine are $200 a corner still not cheap compared to the wheels at $130 each :huh: but i love the tyres expecially now that the protective coating is coming off slowly, the C.drives grip! In the wet too especially with the rainfall we are getting recently. The protective coating explains why i was spinning up tyres in 1st and 3rd gear last week when i raced a FC RX7 :blink:

cheers

Bill

p.s. i just relized i miss typed the topic heading "214/40/R17"  :P  :P  :P

Bill, the Yokohama A539 has bee replaced by the C. Drive and they don't come in 40series rubber. You can go 215/45ZR17 91W rating though and probably cost you $260 each tyre from BobJane.

The only problem i can see though by getting the 215/45/17 is that i have been advised by many members that these will scrub if the car is dropped which is why i am not going down this path....

I am also compiling a list of 205/45/17 which are closer to keeping the speedo in line than the 215/40/17.

Will post once done.

cheers

Bill

can we sticky this?

good to see im contributing valuable info to the forum and not being a post wh0re like some :P :P :P :P :P

• 3 months later...

Fulda Excelero 215/40/17. AA traction rating,280 degree temp rating, A wear rating, 87W load rating and a nice big rim protector. Great in the wet and the dry.

OK heres a silly question since in running 17s wheel does tis alter any insurance issues?? does anyone know??

Im a green P driver im 22, if i do report this to there insurance does anyone know roughly how much insurance premium would change....and what i wanted to get a sport muffler would this also alter insurance price and issues..?

i know this is a stupid question....oppsy :P

• 2 weeks later...
OK heres a silly question since in running 17s wheel does tis alter any insurance issues?? does anyone know??

Im a green P driver im 22, if i do report this to there insurance does anyone know roughly how much insurance premium would change....and what i wanted to get a sport muffler would this also alter insurance price and issues..?

i know this is a stupid question....oppsy :P

everyone insurance company is different. some will increase your premium, some won't. some will be fussy, some won't. as Silva said, call and find out :D

• 5 months later...

Just to add on some more information

Fulda Excelero - $256

Toyo Transpath SW - $185

Toyo Proxes 4 - $195

Toyo T1R - $295

These are all approximate pricing of course. All prices include fitting and balancing.

• 1 month later...

The only problem i can see though by getting the 215/45/17 is that i have been advised by many members that these will scrub if the car is dropped which is why i am not going down this path....

I am also compiling a list of 205/45/17 which are closer to keeping the speedo in line than the 215/40/17.

Will post once done.

cheers

Bill

so is it with 205/45/17 2 inch drop with full load it wont scrub ??

when i mean it scurb with full load such as when u go on a bouncy road or hit a bump

• 4 months later...

Fulda Excelero 215/40/17. AA traction rating,280 degree temp rating, A wear rating, 87W load rating and a nice big rim protector. Great in the wet and the dry.

I got some of these Fulda's on Friday. Great tyre. On special at the moment at Bob Janes for like $209 or something, but I got them for around $30 each cheaper than that (it's who you know)...

Must say, so far I love them. Handling is fantastic.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All,

I am currently searching for tyres to go with my rims and after looking high and low and hours n hours on the web i thought i will be really nice :P :P and post my findings for anyone who might be interested.

Ok i am after 215/40/17 which meet or exceed the standard rating of 87V as i dont want any insurance issues... mind u along the way i found many many many tyres in this size which did not meet the rating so all i say is use any of those at ur own risk.

Ok i have done my research for this tyre size and rating based on 16 tyre manufacturors which supply to Australia so i think its pretty comprehensive but if i missed any manufacturors i wouldnt mind knowing.

Ok here's my findings

Bridgestone, Firestone, Pirelli and Goodyear dont make tyres to meet what is required.

Kelly Tyres and Cooper Tyres from what i could find only make 4x4 tyres.

Olympic tyres i couldnt find any info on their products anywhere.

Now to the ones that did make a tyre with 215/40/17 and rating 87V or better:

Manufacturer - Model - Approx price per tyre - Rating

Michelin - Pilot Preceda - $380+ - 87V

Dunlop - SP Sport 8000E - $??? - 87Y

Falken - Ziex ZE512 - $175 to $190 - 87W

Falken - GRB 451 - $??? - 87? (note these also come in a 84 speed rating)

Falken - FK452 87Y

Falken - RT615 87W

Kumho - Ecsto KU21 - $??? - 87W

Hankook - Ventus K102 - $??? - 87W (the XL version)

Hankook - Ventus Sport K104 - $175 to $190 - 87Y

Toyo - Proxes T1-R - $??? - 87W

Toyo - Proxes T1-S - $??? - 87W (note these are being replaced by T1-R)

Toyo - Tranpath SW - $??? - 87W

GT Radial - Champrio HPZ 40 - $??? - 87W

GT Radial - Champrio 328 - $??? - 87W

Continental - Sport Contact - $??? - 87Z

Continental - Sport Contact XL - $??? - 87Z

Continental - Sport Contact 2 XL - $??? - 87Y

cheers

Bill

p.s. i just relized i miss typed the topic heading "214/40/R17" :P :P :P

made some additions