OBDII READER FOR ZZE COROLLAS (NOW WORKING!)

I was having a random browse on ebay and noticed you can buy obd II blue tooth readers for around $30.

Do you think these would produce accurate results at all?
zze123's have obd II sensors yes? Do you think this would actually work, would it have the correct protocol?

I’m getting a little bored with my stivo so was just thinking might be interesting to see what the computer is doing and might be helpful if I ever get a check engine light.

I also thought it would be interesting to see how much the timing is being advanced when putting in 98ron fuel compared to 95ron.

Heres the product I am talking about
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Bluetooth-Scanner-OBD2-OBD-II-Diagnostic-Interface-V1-3-/190438448666?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c57041e1a

This is the first time I have ever looked at obd so I am very new to the area.

Dave

I have the same one in your link, that i use with my yaris. It works fine. I cant comment on use with a ZZE, but AFAIK they are OBD II

they are all going to be 'accurate' as they are just reading data from the ECU, so each OBD II reader should display the exact same results.

You will need a laptop/smartphone and the right software to use this though. (if you have an iPhone/iTouch/iPad and plan to use it, dont get a bluetooth OBD II, get a wifi one)

A better solution if you plan to use it alot would be a scangauge II

http://www.scangauge.com.au/

I have the same one in your link, that i use with my yaris. It works fine. I cant comment on use with a ZZE, but AFAIK they are OBD II

they are all going to be 'accurate' as they are just reading data from the ECU, so each OBD II reader should display the exact same results.

You will need a laptop/smartphone and the right software to use this though. (if you have an iPhone/iTouch/iPad and plan to use it, dont get a bluetooth OBD II, get a wifi one)

A better solution if you plan to use it alot would be a scangauge II

http://www.scangauge.com.au/

That scangauge looks great, thanks for your reply, i will use the bluetooth one to begin with on my android device and see how it goes. Thanks

I tried one from the UK before whose name now escapes me.

That didn't seem to work because apparently the stivos aren't OBD II but a different protocol and that was more than a year ago. This site does seem to boast to suit Toyotas after 1996 so it might just work.

Just a heads up.

I tried one from the UK before whose name now escapes me.

That didn't seem to work because apparently the stivos aren't OBD II but a different protocol and that was more than a year ago. This site does seem to boast to suit Toyotas after 1996 so it might just work.

Just a heads up.

I do recall chicaboo (Gav) here in Brisbane was having issues with the Scangauge II which is meant to be OBDII compliant and what not. He couldn't seem to get it to work on his Sportivo even after changing all the settings etc. Just a heads up as well.

Thanks for the heads up , that’s interesting o well I guess it’s only $30, worth a try I guess. Does anyone know what protocol the sportivos are then?

Dave

EDIT: from what i have found so far is that the brazil made Corolla XLI, 2003 moddel is "iso" protocol. That scanner seems to support a range of iso protocols so it might juuussst work.

(then again sportivos probs use a different ecu to a xli and they wernt made in brazil :S)

Edited by 2zz corolla

I would be really keen to grab one of these if we can sort it out and know what the go with them is. I have an android based phone also does anyone know if an app is available?

I would be really keen to grab one of these if we can sort it out and know what the go with them is. I have an android based phone also does anyone know if an app is available?

What android os version is yours, I am running 2.2 and there is one called torque. The free version has many functions and the paid version includes added features like 0 to 60mph timer.

Type it into the market place and see if it appears. Or just type in OBD into the market.

Here is a you tube video I found showing the free version.

Dave

Im not sure what version it is ive just got the phone it's a Samsung Galaxy S and i havn't updated it or anything so what ever they run out of the box , im sure ive seen that torque app in the market place thanks for the link!

Im not sure what version it is ive just got the phone it's a Samsung Galaxy S and i havn't updated it or anything so what ever they run out of the box , im sure ive seen that torque app in the market place thanks for the link!

From memory yours is 2.1 and should defenetly have the torque program. Lets just hope our cars support these bluetooth readers !!

My iMac also has bluetooth so i wonder if the range from the car to the computer would suit? i'd rather use the phone though! for $30 bucks ill have a crack!

From what i have seen Bluetooth can go for about 5 to 8m so yea could be possible depends how much interference there is though i guess (walls , other Bluetooth devices ect)

I will just address one thing though im not sure how compatible that ebay item is with the android torque program. Apparently the program supports that type of Bluetooth reader. For $30 i think its well worth a go. Even if it doesn’t work on the stivo it should work on your future car as long as its 2006 or newer. : P

Dave

Yours is 2.1 mick and yes, if you back your car just out where the garage door is, should be able to bluetooth

;)

So sad, I so wanted to play with these ...... now can't anymore ...

Yours is 2.1 mick and yes, if you back your car just out where the garage door is, should be able to bluetooth

;)

So sad, I so wanted to play with these ...... now can't anymore ...

hehe o well guni just make sure you buy a relatively new car and you should be sweet :)(Y)

I noticed there’s also some other ones on there for $8. I am going to purchase one cross my fingers and hope it works. If it does then I might be able to give one of those intake temperature chips a go to see if it advances my timing or not.

I will hopefully report back with good news :)

Thanks for every ones help

Dave

EDIT: Looks like ive flushed $30 down the toilet after reading deeper into the forums. O well pays to do the research before you buy ;)

posted by daviboy

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:10 PM

a heads up,

Dont get the Elm Scan ELM327 off ebay cos it isnt compatible with some cars, toyota corolla for 1, i found that out after purchase.

Edited by 2zz corolla

What do you mean it doesn't work. I'm looking at a list of these scanners on ebay and now i'm not too sure what to get.

would this one be the same elm 327 one?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Auto-OBD-Diagnostic-tool-Bluetooth-CAN-BUS-Scanner-B15-/290441900066?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item439fafb022

What do you mean it doesn't work. I'm looking at a list of these scanners on ebay and now i'm not too sure what to get.

would this one be the same elm 327 one?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Auto-OBD-Diagnostic-tool-Bluetooth-CAN-BUS-Scanner-B15-/290441900066?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item439fafb022

sorry i cant comment exactly as to why it doesnt work as i didnt post it, im just quoting it. hopefully in about 1 or 2 weeks ill be able to give you a yes or no answer if the elm327 works on an 05 october build sportivo.

Is it true that the normal corollas (zze122) recieved obdII ports in october of 2005

dave

Ahhh right, i misread that. My bad. Well hopefully there is some good news as i would love to try out torque on my touch diamond 2

All good it’s my mistake I didn’t do it as a correct quote. Yea same here ill research a bit more in-depth tomorrow to see what type of obdII port our cars actually have considering the conventional OBDII that is known by other countries like America wasn’t enforced in Australia until 2006 apparently.

Dave

I got one of these bluetooth ODBII dongles off ebay for about 30 bucks, I was planing on using it with my HTC desire using Torque. However it cant find the correct protocol to use with the sportivos ECU. Works fine on my girlfriends swift and a friends liberty though.

I got one of these bluetooth ODBII dongles off ebay for about 30 bucks, I was planing on using it with my HTC desire using Torque. However it cant find the correct protocol to use with the sportivos ECU. Works fine on my girlfriends swift and a friends liberty though.

dam. I wonder if theres any way of getting around the issue.

thanks for your post

Dave

It might have just been that the Torque app didnt support the right protocol. Dont know what one the ECU is using but it might just be a matter of finding an application that uses the correct one.

It might have just been that the Torque app didnt support the right protocol. Dont know what one the ECU is using but it might just be a matter of finding an application that uses the correct one.

Thanks for your post dboy. I think your onto some thing there.

I received the device a couple of days ago. AND I CAN CONFIRM ................. THAT IT WILL WORK............ on a friend’s 2008 rav 4 ;). Sadly doesn’t work for sportivo (as everyone has pointed out before hand :unsure: ). The OBD reader powers up and the torque app just continually tries searching through its protocol database for a match but has no luck. I have not had time to try the software provided but I don’t have high hopes that it will work :(.

In regards to the app and the obd II reader. Its not a bad little device. Looks to be accurate in regards to rpm, speed ect. I recommend the purchase as long as you have a car that supports full OBD II..

Thanks for every ones help, hopefully one day this issue is solved.

Dave

• 7 months later...

bumping up an old thread. i too have bought an obdII reader. it didn't work on my stivo. rang toyota customer relations in sydney and they said that ALL toyotas made across the world is OBD-II compliant. OK, so i decided to try on johnniebois ZRE152 and WHAM! it worked... some things didn't work like the fuel consumption and what not, but at least the main things worked: coolant temp, rpm, tacho... good for winton to record on the laptop and playback ;) also the dyno and drag strip worked too. johnnie made a flying start and got a 17.5 second in 1.4 mile ROFL! :D dyno... well... 20 kw @7026RPM??? :lol: too bad i didnt save the drag strip data sheet, it would have been epic :P

so still on the freaken quest to get this damn thing to work on our supposedly OBD-II compliant sportivo Pif.gif

anyone wanna lend me their stivo for me to try out on their car? what about any zze122s out there? Que.gif