Locust protection mission!

Tash

Howdy all :) Down here in Vic and I'm guessing probably most of the other states we are expecting an epic locust plague again, ugh! Given last year's epidemic when locusts were in my grille, engine bay, fog lights and in between the spokes of my alloy wheels I am a bit concerned as they are predicting this year will be even worse, lucky us.

Now, I have seen those ugly horror DIY jobs of a bit of mesh/shade cloth basically taped on the front or wrapped around really poorly and I'm after something a bit more sophisticated than that. So I guess firstly, I need to take the grille out (need to investigate the Camry manual on where the screws are, should do it this weekend anyway as its really faded and marred by old wax so it needs a good clean) and then figure out what would be the best material to use and how to attach it to the back of the grille where it will be essentially out of sight.

Because it's that stupid honeycomb shaped grille (I wish I could get the fine mesh grille like the Aurions can!) basically the locusts can get sucked straight through it to their impending doom. Any others planning on some kind of protection or I am I just too anal-retentive when it comes to my cars cleanliness lol

Off topic but on topic, you can not be too anal with protecting your car when driving through a locust plague. I had them wedged in every possible nook and crannie. Even between the A/C condenser and radiator. Learn from my bad experience.

di-1012844420453.jpg

di-5128444206510.jpg

Off topic but on topic, you can not be too anal with protecting your car when driving through a locust plague. I had them wedged in every possible nook and crannie. Even between the A/C condenser and radiator. Learn from my bad experience.

di-1012844420453.jpg

di-5128444206510.jpg

mate your gonna be picking out locusts for weeks i had the same problem b4 i put the kit on

sean

Oh Daryl I feel your pain - I remember that picture!! F'in locusts! I've got no idea what I'm going to use to cover the back of the grille though.

Feel sorry for you Tash. I had that experience with locust back in the 70's crossing the Hay Plains enroute to Adelaide. I used medium weight flyscreen wire and had it stretched over the front of the car, also covering headlights. I had it fixed inside at the front and coming over the top front section and down and fixing it underneath, covering halfway along the sump. Made sure it did not interfere with steering, pulleys or belts. Also covered the outside air vents. I had to stop every hour to brush the locust remains off the screen in the grill area to make sure I had air flow.

Tash, just a word of advice since ive taken off my grille when i had the bumper on, and when i had it off..unless you have small hands and your fingers are flexible, its easier to actually take off the whole bumper to do it.

Also, why dont you head over to bunnings and buy that material they use for fly screens?

..i got a grille for sale if you want to experiment with stuff. 50 bucks and its yours. Also, springs too ;)

//sneaky asian tryna make a sale

Edited by private number

di-1012844420453.jpg

di-5128444206510.jpg

supercharger sucked the locust plague in thats why!! :P

Have you thought about a Car Bra?

I ended up getting one for the Hilux and once you sort out the fitting, its great.

Not only do you have to worry about covering your air intakes, your paint cops an absolute pounding from hitting them at speed too.

Some people aren't fond of the car bras for various reasons, one of them being "but it rubs on the paint"

Which mind you, it is ON the paint, yes, but if the felt backing is clean and the car is spotless before it goes on, you will be fine.

Great for protecting against stone chips as well.

I will be using mine when I drive 3500km to Summernats in January.

Cheers for the replies guys - the fly wire idea is certainly an interesting one. Thanks for the note about the grille too Reece, my hands are small but I don't think that flexible! I will ignore the sneaky comment :P Looks like I'm heading out to Bunnings on the weekend then, after I clean the car heheh

Jap, I have definitely thought about getting a car bra before (put a fair bit of thought into it before heading up to Sydney for the TOCAU annual meet) but the cost is somewhat prohibitive for me at the moment, I have been quoted between $400-500 to get one made. I'm a tight **** you see lol, esp when that money should probably be put towards paying off my wheels :lol: I'd like to get one in future though I think.