TRD Aurion 3500 GSV40R engine failure

TRD 269

Toyota has agreed on a new motor, i have an app on Monday arvo with the dealer principal to find out exactly what they are going to replace and with what sort of warranty, the gearbox is my concern that they wont be changing it. if there was the possibility of a new one, that is what i want but obviously its not an option. mad.gifsad.gif

Just make sure it is done by the real pro, not by a bunch of kids who are still in their first year of apprentice.

Like was in my case, where you can really tell the sort of people that are hired by the dealer to do the work, by the quality or lack of it, when it comes to the re assembling of the parts that's been removed.

A friend who used to work for a Toyota dealer explained, most of the workers are just made up of apprentices, when it comes to changing oil, oil filter etc they're fine but get them to do anything other than the standard routine job and they stuff up.

This is a concern, however this kind of damage may get a new long engine (sump to cylinder head covers). The dealer and the regional office will determine what is required. The last thing Toyota want is for a return visit with a related concern.

New engines like the 2GR are high tech and many technicians are not fully comfortable working on them. The repair manual seems to be never ending and an engine repair can easily take over 30 hours to complete!

I have had my TRD engine blown up by a punk apprentice taking it for a "pre" test drive and I really find it hard to figure out what the hell he was doing or done to have broken a con rod and shatter a piston.

Did you ask the dealer to check for "brake shudder and wheel wobble"?

My questions are;

1. Has anyone heard of or had an engine failure with one of these motors?

Yes I have heard of it happen, but hoping not to have it happen to me.

2. With that type of damage going on in the motor, would i be looking at damage being caused to the gearbox or anything else?

(I saw photos of your engine torn down - ouch!).

Where? Would love to have a look.

I went in for a look at the new engine in the front sub frame today, still waiting for new fuel injection. while I was there I took a couple of pics before they put the sump back on the blown engine with the broken bits sitting in the bottom of it, the shots arnt the best but you can see the bent / broken rod and piston.

I will see if i can get the pictures that Toyota took of the bits, soon.

post-20947-128533710451_thumb.jpg

post-20947-128533710799_thumb.jpg

post-20947-128533710999_thumb.jpg

Hey mate, you are probably one of the first guys to have a look inside the engine properly. How was the condition? Any sludge, oil build up etc that you noticed?

As i would have expected, no sludge or **** in the sump other than the broken bits, there where some burnt oil marks in and around the small end and gudgeon pin which you can see on the pics ( i would suspect from the heat of fireing), The removed big end, and the bearings had no burn marks and looked good also, the pots had no carbon build up at all and no carbon build up on the piston tops or valves either, i wouldnt expect any carbon build up as I only ever put BP ultimate 98octaine fuel it it. So all in all for a motor that has done 76000km I thought that it was very clean and should have been good for 500,000km.

Way back I had a new 91 Ford Laser (livewire) I only ever put synthetic oil and BP 98 in it and when my EX took ownership of it, it had done 350,000km and never missed a beat, that car i drove at its optimum every day of the week 4000rpm every gear (top of the taco, 3800rpm in the book was optimum). if the ex continued with the 98fuel and good oil im confident that engine would still be going strong.

Hey mate, you are probably one of the first guys to have a look inside the engine properly. How was the condition? Any sludge, oil build up etc that you noticed?

As i would have expected, no sludge or **** in the sump other than the broken bits, there where some burnt oil marks in and around the small end and gudgeon pin which you can see on the pics ( i would suspect from the heat of fireing), The removed big end, and the bearings had no burn marks and looked good also, the pots had no carbon build up at all and no carbon build up on the piston tops or valves either, i wouldnt expect any carbon build up as I only ever put BP ultimate 98octaine fuel it it. So all in all for a motor that has done 76000km I thought that it was very clean and should have been good for 500,000km.

Way back I had a new 91 Ford Laser (livewire) I only ever put synthetic oil and BP 98 in it and when my EX took ownership of it, it had done 350,000km and never missed a beat, that car i drove at its optimum every day of the week 4000rpm every gear (top of the taco, 3800rpm in the book was optimum). if the ex continued with the 98fuel and good oil im confident that engine would still be going strong.

Awesome, that is good to know that I am not buying BP98 for no reason. Cheers! ;)

Awesome, that is good to know that I am not buying BP98 for no reason. Cheers! wink.gif

??you are using 98 or not?

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi ya. Sorry to hear about your TRD :-(

It may have happened due to extreme bumping and reves if they had it in Sports mode and Red Line limiter cut in (motor bounces violently - almost through your bonnet) ...

I'm wrecking an '07 TRD (SL) in WA (should be finished by 27.08.14), #140, and motor only done 75,500km and fully servised 3 weeks ago (I have full service history), so there's an original TRD motor available if you're interested ...

If anyone wants to send me an email bid for parts, read points 1 to 4 at the bottom of post #1 (current bid for brakes are at post #10) ...

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/48118-trd-wrecking-in-wa/

Craig

• 1 year later...