DIY Tutorial on Fitting HID into 2008 TOYOTA CAMRY

Rukus G

Hi there. I have a customer enquiry about putting HID into his 2008 TOYOTA CAMRY ALTISE and i WAS thinking it will be easy. However, I still did some normal research before the guy drop by but I found out that people do not able to get HID into their car. The car is using H7 unlike most current Toyota like Rukus, Aurion which using H11. When I first saw the plug, I was thinking how the HID will fit. However it is quite easy. Here is some basic tips on how to get aftermarket HID kit into your belove Camry.

1. First of all, you will need to take the plastic rubber out.
  2. Unplug the plug and you will see the halogen bulb is attached on it.
  3. Use a screwdriver to pull the halogen plug out.
  4. If you pay close attention to the plug, you will notice the silver metal thingy can actually seperate from the black plastic plug.
  5. You can now put your HID globe on the silver metal piece by running the HID plug and cable through the metal thingy.
  6. Put yout plug back into the headlight and use your fingers to lock the metal thingy onto the hole at the back of the headlight. The left hand side is actually a lot easier as there are a lot more rooomy compare to the right.
  7. Cut a small hole on the rubber cover and plug the +ve and -ve wires of the HID bulb into the plug. Please use voltage tester to check which one is +ve as both of the stock wires are in black color.
  8. Run all the wires through the small hole on the rubber cover and put the cover back in.
  9. Plug all the plugs and cable tie the ballast.

You will now enjoy the HID on your Camry. Since the new camry has the projector, it looks really nice without blinding upcoming traffic at all.

Here are a few of pictures to share. I hope admin will not delete my post.

71603_133136916736499_126906517359539_183464_7560640_n.jpg

33933_133137013403156_126906517359539_183465_6546697_n.jpg

68813_133137030069821_126906517359539_183466_7045493_n.jpg

71674_133137056736485_126906517359539_183467_2261562_n.jpg

Another Camry I came across with H7 6000k and 5 SMD LEDs. Look MAD

208787_176885999028257_126906517359539_447960_3255830_n.jpg

216094_176886025694921_126906517359539_447961_4071288_n.jpg

217202_176886039028253_126906517359539_447962_5608893_n.jpg

205104_176886055694918_126906517359539_447963_2655374_n.jpg

208265_176886072361583_126906517359539_447964_4279788_n.jpg

More images can be found in here http://******australia.com/

Edited by Rukus G

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To be honest, you would have been more useful if you actually posted a proper DIY. If you gave these instructions to someone who just bought their kit and tried to fit it, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't give them much assistance.

sorry man but the customer is beside me waiting for me to finish the job and go.

I may try to find some pictures of the plug so I can show what is the metal piece look like. But i assume the people who has actually taken the bulb out will know what I mean.

However, I can confirm CAMRY 2007+ can fit HID without any special plug or modification.

sorry man but the customer is beside me waiting for me to finish the job and go.

I may try to find some pictures of the plug so I can show what is the metal piece look like. But i assume the people who has actually taken the bulb out will know what I mean.

However, I can confirm CAMRY 2007+ can fit HID without any special plug or modification.

Yo man, I got a 2010 Camry, will be very keen to but a set of HID on, waiting for your step by step photo tutorial man :o)

Im gonna chime in here..

for the 07-09 (maybe 2010+) camrys and regards to that STOCK silver metal bracket your talking about which helps hold the bulb in place;

not all HID bulbs will fit in there as easy as you made it out to be. Most wont even fit through that hole (i know my one didnt). if you didnt buy your HIDs from rukusG (but i recommend you do) and you find out the bulb doesnt fit through there this is what you need to do....

What i had to do was buy a similar bracket as linked here http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-x-BMW-H7-AUDI-USE-HID-XENON-BULB-HOLDER-ADAPTOR-/280517809174?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41502a1416

Note how there is an opening at the bottom of the picture of the H7 bulb adaptor which the stock one doesnt? Yes its for a BMW/audi but i made it work for the camry.

Insert the bulb through there and then mount the bulb in. The adaptor is not an exact fit but all you need to do is fold the 2 tabs located at the back of the actual headlight which holds the bulb in place. Fold it enough so it holds your bmw/audi adaptor in place. One can put some rubber silicon around base of the bulb which has the bmw/audi adaptor around it so it doesnt move in the bmw/audi adaptor if one chooses. I just did this for an experiement and piece of mind but it should work fine without it.

Ill post up what it looks like when i pop the hood to install my cai today or tomorrow.

note; ive had this on for about a month now. my ride is stiff as im on coils and ridin low and there has been no issues in regards to the HID itself and the bmw/audi bracket i used.

Edited by private number

Yo man, I got a 2010 Camry, will be very keen to but a set of HID on, waiting for your step by step photo tutorial man :o)

Sorry man.... it was clients' car so I am not able to take some pictures anymore but if you have tried to pull your stock bulb out, you will get some better idea what I am refering to...

Yes those H7 bracket from BMW will fit it nicely as well for SOME HID kit out there.

Im gonna chime in here..

for the 07-09 (maybe 2010+) camrys and regards to that STOCK silver metal bracket your talking about which helps hold the bulb in place;

not all HID bulbs will fit in there as easy as you made it out to be. Most wont even fit through that hole (i know my one didnt). if you didnt buy your HIDs from rukusG (but i recommend you do) and you find out the bulb doesnt fit through there this is what you need to do....

What i had to do was buy a similar bracket as linked here http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-x-BMW-H7-AUDI-USE-HID-XENON-BULB-HOLDER-ADAPTOR-/280517809174?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41502a1416

Note how there is an opening at the bottom of the picture of the H7 bulb adaptor which the stock one doesnt? Yes its for a BMW/audi but i made it work for the camry.

Insert the bulb through there and then mount the bulb in. The adaptor is not an exact fit but all you need to do is fold the 2 tabs located at the back of the actual headlight which holds the bulb in place. Fold it enough so it holds your bmw/audi adaptor in place. One can put some rubber silicon around base of the bulb which has the bmw/audi adaptor around it so it doesnt move in the bmw/audi adaptor if one chooses. I just did this for an experiement and piece of mind but it should work fine without it.

Ill post up what it looks like when i pop the hood to install my cai today or tomorrow.

note; ive had this on for about a month now. my ride is stiff as im on coils and ridin low and there has been no issues in regards to the HID itself and the bmw/audi bracket i used.

• 3 months later...

mmmm just curious what lumens and "k" rating are those HID's? i run 6000k and are far far whiter than these ones? look as if there about 4300k?

Anyway isnt there already a pretty indepth step by step guide on how to install HID's in the Aurion section? this would be a good base for the install on any Toyota :)

• 3 weeks later...

hi there, i have the same problem with my 2010 camry. the original metal bracket hole is too small for the HID plugs and wires to go through.

thanks for the ebay link, but I just can't wait for the delivery... i am thinking to cut the metal bracket open, so i could slot the wires in.

what do you reckon? will it works?

Im gonna chime in here..

Can someone also please shed some more light as to exactly which parts are needed? I know the bulbs are H7 and you need the ballasts and wires but what else? What lumens and what K rating? I'd like to do this in the near future but want to make sure I get the right parts for it. Also, what about high beam and low beam??

When I do it I'll make sure I take plenty of pictures so I can put up a proper How To guide.

hi there, i have the same problem with my 2010 camry. the original metal bracket hole is too small for the HID plugs and wires to go through.

thanks for the ebay link, but I just can't wait for the delivery... i am thinking to cut the metal bracket open, so i could slot the wires in.

I encountered the same problem again on a late model astra. and the job i did is cleaner than my own one. What i did is just cut one line in the stock bracket so i can sort of bend the bracket far enough to let the wire through and essentially the bulb will fit in perfectly. Then just screw the bulb in as per normal.

Note; Make sure the bulb does not move in the bracket. If it is moving around and you think it may fall slip out, secure it in buy using silicon like what i have done. With my one it fit in nicely, however the bulb was rattling on the edges of the brackets just a bit and i wasnt happy with it so i used silicon to securely put it in place. x amount of months later, with a lowered car and a stiff ride..no issues or fall outs what so ever.

Can someone also please shed some more light as to exactly which parts are needed? I know the bulbs are H7 and you need the ballasts and wires but what else? What lumens and what K rating? I'd like to do this in the near future but want to make sure I get the right parts for it. Also, what about high beam and low beam??

When I do it I'll make sure I take plenty of pictures so I can put up a proper How To guide.

Tash; HIDs kits have everything you need for plug and play. only thing you may need is a new bulb bracket if your HID kit doesnt come with it. If it doesnt, read the above :)

Thanks Mate! yes I eventually cut it and used silicon to stick the bulb base to the metal bracket.

other problems with camry are... both stock plug wires are in black colour, it doesn't tell which is positive and negative...

also i had to take out the whole stupid bumper and the headlamp housing to fit the park light (led wedge bulb)... lots of work just to change that two stupid park lights...

I encountered the same problem again on a late model astra. and the job i did is cleaner than my own one. What i did is just cut one line in the stock bracket so i can sort of bend the bracket far enough to let the wire through and essentially the bulb will fit in perfectly. Then just screw the bulb in as per normal.

Note; Make sure the bulb does not move in the bracket. If it is moving around and you think it may fall slip out, secure it in buy using silicon like what i have done. With my one it fit in nicely, however the bulb was rattling on the edges of the brackets just a bit and i wasnt happy with it so i used silicon to securely put it in place. x amount of months later, with a lowered car and a stiff ride..no issues or fall outs what so ever.

Tash; HIDs kits have everything you need for plug and play. only thing you may need is a new bulb bracket if your HID kit doesnt come with it. If it doesnt, read the above :)

The Temperature for my HIDs are also 6000K.mine seems alot more white....

From what i have seen, that higher "K" is,(e.g. 8000k, 10000K, 12000K) the more blue is gets. Most likely anything above 6000K may be considered illegal if it looks blue.

Anything lower then 6000K (e.g. 4300K, 3000K) shows a white yellowish color..

Hey Tash,

The K (kelvin) rating of any lamp be it Xenon or halogen is of the light temperature and not it's "brightness", throw or power.

The Kelvin rating starts at 1000k which is a dirty yellow colour them moves through to around 3000k which is whats referred to as Tungsten then on 5000-5400k which is regarded as the most pure white light, 6000k which tends to be the most common is white with a blue tinge and then after that you get bluer until you get to around 10000-12000k where it will go purple and then it it’s pretty much useless light and really only good as a party piece.

Now lumens is a bit of a tricky one as there is also the little thing of "lux" to be taken in consideration.. but to keep things simple essential Lumens is the base measure of a lamp/fixtures power or "brightness output" as at the end of the day watts isn’t the be all end all much in the same way as a car engine capacity isn’t the definitive limiting factor in which engine can make more power..

to compare to apples with apples roughly a 55w halogen globe like what’s in Camry produces around 1200-1400 lumens in a set controlled environment and a 35w HID would produce something like 3200 -3400 lumens(Lm) and lux takes in account the total area that the luminous flux (spread of lumens) is spread, basically more lumens can be spread over a larger longer wider area. A larger area needs more lumens to be lit properly but throwing watts of power at it isn’t necessarily the answer.

It's also incorrect to consider lux as a measure of lamp brightness as not all of the luminous flux is received by the human eye, and brightness is a perception of light and should only be used for non quantitative references to physiological sensations of light

i hope that makes half sense, not something I’ve had to try and explain to anybody who’s not within the professional lighting side of things of the music industry and working with these kind of things so it's a little tricky, so let me know if you can’t quite follow and ill have another crack at it for you :) But essentially the two brands that make the best discharge lamps are Phillips and Osram, why? Because no other brand has the R&D or real world experiences and expertise of these two. Between them they supply all the lighting manufacture for the music and entertainment industry many of which make fixtures that produce in excess of 31000 lumens! In some pretty harsh environments

Thanks Adamsy, that makes perfect sense :) So for someone like myself who does country driving I'd probably be looking at getting 6000k and a 35w HID? So on low beam you'd have a nice white sort of spread in front of you, and then high beam would light up a larger area quite well.

I have been looking at this auction on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270608247224&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Or can anyone recommend a better seller?? Then I better work out what parkers to buy to replace those as well :)

http://cgi.ebay.com....e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I heard these are pretty good... Its got a Life Time warranty (while the seller exists on ebay) which can come in handy

Thanks Ronnyboy - they looked pretty decent to me compared to a lot of the other sellers on there. And even if they died after two years for $100 odd it wouldn't be the worst thing I've wasted money on! :lol: Plus the free shipping was appealing :)

Okay I'm just doing some reading up on Toyo Nation - looks like for the Gen 6 the fog lights and low beam are H11 and the high beam is H7, can anyone confirm? I want to replace fogs, low beam, high beam and parkers.

Thanks Adamsy, that makes perfect sense :) So for someone like myself who does country driving I'd probably be looking at getting 6000k and a 35w HID? So on low beam you'd have a nice white sort of spread in front of you, and then high beam would light up a larger area quite well.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270608247224&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Or can anyone recommend a better seller?? Then I better work out what parkers to buy to replace those as well :)

Oh that's a good thing :) reading it again im not sure it's a vry good discription haha

Okay I'm just doing some reading up on Toyo Nation - looks like for the Gen 6 the fog lights and low beam are H11 and the high beam is H7, can anyone confirm? I want to replace fogs, low beam, high beam and parkers.

H11 sounds correct for low beams and Fogs. I think high beams are 9005 (im guessing thats H7)

The only reason i didnt get Hi Beam HIDs is because id rarely use it. Parkers are a must :)

H11 sounds correct for low beams and Fogs. I think high beams are 9005 (im guessing thats H7)

The only reason i didnt get Hi Beam HIDs is because id rarely use it. Parkers are a must :)

Thanks Ronny - I do a fair bit of night time country driving, hence wanting to replace low and high beam with HID's, and the foggies as well. The more I can light things up the better :lol: Still debating what to use for parkers, some kind of LED, just need to work out what size.