New Aurion Transmission ECU - Better or Worse?

dave262

Just had the transmission ECU replaced in my Aurion with the latest revision due to the slipping gear changes between 3rd and 4th... and I don't know, but from driving the car today for a number of hours - somehow the new mappings make the car seem boring and unexciting? The change from the old ECU to the new one seems to have made the following changes in the shift mappings:

- Gear changes under light acceleration now occur extremely early, generally below 2000 RPM

- Kickdown does not occur nearly as easily - you have to essentially push your foot to the floor before it will drop down a gear especially on a freeway

- Torque converter lock seems to come into play much earlier, and doesn't release nearly as easily when you try to accelerate

- Gear changes under hard acceleration occur much earlier

- The transmission does not drop down gears very well slowing down to the lights as well as it used to, instead only dropping down at the last second. This is quite frustrating, as I am now having to rely heavily on the brakes to slow the car down as opposed to letting the transmission do part ofthe work

In addition, the VVT-i mappings seem to have changed also, and seem to occur at a higher RPM. Under heavy acceleration, it is quite noticeable when VVT-i kicks in at about 4500-5000 RPM. The engine is also running much quieter and the exhaust note has significantly changed, seeming slightly deeper and more subdued.

The only plus side I have seen so far, is that it no longer slips and under heavy acceleration (once VVT-i eventually kicks in!) - the car seems to pull significantly better than it did previously. It also seems to have made the sports mode shifts much faster (near-instant).

Overall, I am just hoping that the transmission is still in a "learning" phase. If it stays the way it is however, I am probably going to go and ask for the old transmission ECU back, since as far as I am concerned - I would rather an intermittent slipping transmission than a very boring drive consistently.

Has anyone else experienced this, or is it just me?

Well, I had mine replaced few months ago, and it was the best decisions I ever made. The early gear changes I very much like, I hated how it held the gear for too long on slow acceleration. Holding the gears made for a frustrating drive because the car was so persistent to hold gear when it shouldn't.

The kick down (I said this as well somewhere on TOCA, can't remember where I posted it) has definitely reduced, which again is a good thing. It was annoying when accelerating in my winding suburban streets, every time I would hit the accelerator a bit too hard the car would decide to kick down a gear, when the only thing I want to do is reach 50KM/h!

I have no complaints about the new transmission comp. IMO, it made the car a much better, smoother and enjoyable drive.

Also, I'm sure that slipping gears can't be good for the transmission in the long run.

i had mine done nearly 12 months ago and it is much better than version 1, no flareing. I still think they could improve its reaction time in sequential mode. just remember this is a learning ecu and it takes several hundred k's to learn your style of driving.

Im about to go down this path too, having had 200ml of oil added to the gearbox by toyota ( as per the toyota service bulliten ) and am still experiencing flaring between 3rd and 4th ( only ever when cold though ).My dealer has applied for an out of warranty fix for me , that they assure me will be honoured due to it being a known issue. My car is an 06 model with 66000klms.

Im not too worried about shift points etc changing , i just want the flaring to stop.

It is a relief to read that there has been positive results. (Hopefully the gearbox doees improve for you as well dave262)

Edited by MyATX

Interesting to read about the other experiences some of you have had. I am just really hoping it will re-learn properly!

I actually find the opposite about the speed, as now it seems *so* reluctant to change down that I need to constantly plan well in advance to give it a few seconds to change just overtaking another car. Most the roads I drive on are 50-60km/h, but the car does not seem very willing any more to even get up to that speed. Even take-off from the line is shocking. During kick-down, it seems to simply bog down the engine, then eventually change down a gear - but far too late to be of any use! If it stays the way it is though, I am seriously considering getting the old ECU back. In the state it is in currently, the car just does not feel like the Aurion I am used to. Previously I never had an issue going up hills, and now all it does is loses speed and refuses to change down a gear unless I put it in manual mode or push the accelerator to the floor!

yeah mine it much nicer, more responsive and smoother picks the right gear when it should and the Sports mode seems quicker and will also defeault to 3rd if your going slow enough :) All in all the new brain and top up of trans fluid was a good move i feel!

Just had the transmission ECU replaced in my Aurion with the latest revision due to the slipping gear changes between 3rd and 4th...

hi, just wondering where did u get ur transmission ecu replaced?

if you still have warranty it can be replaced if you can show the flareing in the transmission, i took the local head of diagnostics to a place where i knew it would do it and he booked it in on the spot.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

Hope you don't mind me hoping on this thread.

I purchased an ex-fleet 2008 Aurion Prodigy few months ago, and love it except for the gearbox. As people have written it is slow to change down, and when it does, it goes bat crazy, actually quite dangerous when on the highway and you want to overtake.

That 'flaring' thing people mention (slipping?) I think mine is doing that, how really know, is it if the RPM spikes without corresponding increase in speed?

Would mine still be under warranty? Build date is 10/2008. kms is ~32,000 .

My friend who owns an RACV workshop said its likely the firmware can be upgraded via toyota. Is this the ECU change you talk of. Is it change of actual control unit ? Any ideas of price?

Thanks for any input.

Regards,

Patrick.

Edited by psaunder

I called up Toyota in Mildura and they said there were quite a few service bulletins/notes regarding 'flaring' between 2,3 and 3,4 , though I'm going to take it in and let them evalulate it . He said the ECU can only be replaced, not firmward upgraded.

The did say that some issues were fixed in Jan 2008, so mine should have had that issue fixed. I think there are multiple issues noted for these as he read out heaps of stuff.

Also as mine is out of warranty, if existing fault is found, it would be toyotas discretion if they decide to pay for repairs. Will post as I find out more.

Pat.

• 3 years later...
On 21 October 2010 at 7:19 AM, SCOOTA44 said:

i had mine done nearly 12 months ago and it is much better than version 1, no flareing. I still think they could improve its reaction time in sequential mode. just remember this is a learning ecu and it takes several hundred k's to learn your style of driving.

Is this done for free by Toyota?

even if out of warranty 

From those descriptions I wonder if your replacement ECU is the same as the later Aurions.  My 2014 model auto changes sound like what you have described - very early changes with light throttle (as early as 1600rpm I reckon), late kickdown response (which is annoying to me, it's too slow for overtaking), and early change downs.   Only difference is TX does not immediately respond in sport mode.  I now tend to preselect 4 or 3 BEFORE hitting the throttle, it's a LOT quicker on the accel response, and you then know what's coming, and I reckon it's safer.  I notice TX can actually 'hunt' when doing the 50kph in town traffic as you slow for crossings, kids, etc. you can feel the changes, but it's still very smooth.  

I guess it would make sense for Toyota to simply use the later software ?  What do you think ?

Edited by V6_fan

• 3 weeks later...

Suggest doing a Google search with the search terms "u660e shift flare concerns"

Some of the search results show the Toyota Technical Bulletin issued in the USA.It mentions placing a sticker on the bonnet/hood when the transmission control module TCM has been recalibrated.

Look at the posts in the Toyotanation.com site. There is no obvious solution but the U660e transmissions are "supposedly sensitive" to their fluid level; neither under-filled or overfilled. Personally, I replaced the transmission filter and then replaced the ATF fluid with the same amount that was drained (approximate measurement 2.8 litres). Gear changes appeared to be a bit harsher at first then settled down. Next weekend, I checked the fluid level when the car engine was cold by loosening the overflow plug and about 300ml drained out.

Please note that there are no guarantees that changing the ATF filter and fluid will fix flaring but it does make sense as the ATF fluid ages and becomes contaminated that it will/could impact upon gear changes. Worthwhile doing for preventative maintenance purposes especially after 70,000KM if you towing or if "exuberant" in your driving style. 

I wouldnt be servicing the transmission like this you would be just guessing about getting the fluid level right if you don't have Techstream Software on a laptop to do it yourself get is serviced by a dealer or reputable ATF facility

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 7:04 PM, campbeam said:

Suggest doing a Google search with the search terms "u660e shift flare concerns"

Some of the search results show the Toyota Technical Bulletin issued in the USA.It mentions placing a sticker on the bonnet/hood when the transmission control module TCM has been recalibrated.

Look at the posts in the Toyotanation.com site. There is no obvious solution but the U660e transmissions are "supposedly sensitive" to their fluid level; neither under-filled or overfilled. Personally, I replaced the transmission filter and then replaced the ATF fluid with the same amount that was drained (approximate measurement 2.8 litres). Gear changes appeared to be a bit harsher at first then settled down. Next weekend, I checked the fluid level when the car engine was cold by loosening the overflow plug and about 300ml drained out.

Please note that there are no guarantees that changing the ATF filter and fluid will fix flaring but it does make sense as the ATF fluid ages and becomes contaminated that it will/could impact upon gear changes. Worthwhile doing for preventative maintenance purposes especially after 70,000KM if you towing or if "exuberant" in your driving style.