Oil for 2010 V6 Hilux

Guys

The 2010 SR5 will soon reach 5,000kM. I bought a new genuine oil filter for it today as I want to change over to Synthetic oil at 5,000kM.

Problem is there isn't much choice of 10W-30 Synthetic anymore. For this same reason I have swapped my CV8 and also the Cross8 over to Castrol Edge 10W-60.

Toyota specify 10W-30 or 5W-30 SL or SM. But they also state 15W-40 and 20W-50 are OK.

I just want to run a slightly more viscous oil at operating temperature, primarily as I do tow a heavy load on the odd occasion.

So is the 10W-60 OK or should I be sticking to a 10W-40 or 10W-50, or possibly even a 5W-50? Anyone had any problems with the 4.0L quad cam V6 running on slightly heavier oil?

• 3 months later...

Guys

The 2010 SR5 will soon reach 5,000kM. I bought a new genuine oil filter for it today as I want to change over to Synthetic oil at 5,000kM.

Problem is there isn't much choice of 10W-30 Synthetic anymore. For this same reason I have swapped my CV8 and also the Cross8 over to Castrol Edge 10W-60.

Toyota specify 10W-30 or 5W-30 SL or SM. But they also state 15W-40 and 20W-50 are OK.

I just want to run a slightly more viscous oil at operating temperature, primarily as I do tow a heavy load on the odd occasion.

So is the 10W-60 OK or should I be sticking to a 10W-40 or 10W-50, or possibly even a 5W-50? Anyone had any problems with the 4.0L quad cam V6 running on slightly heavier oil?

You do realise that 60 weight oil is for high mileage,smoking,worn out rings,old clapped out vehicles that had machining tolerances measured in millimetres.

Mate your hilux hasnt even been around the block (so to speak )do it a favour and stick with what it needs and that is a free flowing light weight oil,not something that is as thick as diff oil.I own a 4.0 V6 hilux and the heaviest that gets put in it is 15w/40.Afterall its a quad cam 24 valve variable timing and anything heavier is just too heavy.

I sure as sh*t wouldnt be mentioning it to your dealer about using such a heavy oil, if you make a claim in regards to the motor they would put it straight back on you for using the incorrect oil.Prime movers hauling a B-Double only use 15w-40 and they are lugging 90 tonne;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

But at the end of the day HK1837 its entirely up to you champ

• 4 months later...

stick with 10w30 mate. the old rattler gen 3 5.7ltr v8s needed something heavier to stop it burnin it all up between changes. no reason why you cant just get a good quality 10w30 and change it more often , cheap insurance . i do my aurion every 7500klms and 5000 on the mrs sp25 mazda 3 (with toyota 10w30 mind you)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey Mate,

I have done allot of testing for oil over many years.

Here is some thoughts and results >

I after my last toyota will NEVER use 0w-30 or 0w-40 oils! long term you will get piston slap! after 50,000km running this stuff, forget the "energy saving" crap. It all comes at a cost of elevated engine wear! there should be a warning in the Toyota manual about the negative effects of these light oils. The 0.5lt per 100km (maximum benefit) and 0.1 to 0.2 seconds faster 0-100km times don't count for much when your motor piston slaps when cold!!!

• 3 years later...

G'day Mate,

You probably won't have any problems running higher viscosity oils until you hit around 100,000ks.

I most certainly would not recommend running higher viscous oils in this engine!

Recomended is 5w-30, however I run Nulon 10w-30 full synthetic in mine.

These engines have extreamly tight tolerances and higher viscous oils are too thick to get where they are need to go.

Also from my previous experience and knowledge of these newer engines, running higher viscous oils robs HP quite dramatically too, which Inturn robs fuel economy etc........

Stick with recommended viscosity or as close near it mate

Cheers Loz 🍻