Footwell easy guide

czaja74

HI All

Yes yet another guide for the popular mod. This time it is easy to follow. I have attached photos of the wirring where you need to hook up your lights.

I take no responsibiility if you mess your car. If after reading he guide you have a question please ask and I will be happy to help.

To wire up rear lights you need to remove rear/front door scuffs and the panels behind the front seat belts.

Here are the wires you need to tap into for the rear lights:

p1020942v.th.jpg

This is the way I mounted the strip. Do this for the second rear light as well. The wiring will look identical.

p1020945.th.jpg

Here are the wires you need to tap into on the driver side.

p10209480.th.jpg

Again LED strip mounted.

p1020952v.th.jpg

Here are the wires you need to tap into on the pasanger side:

p1020953z.th.jpg

If you prefer Dome Light style here is the photo of the wires you need. The white one is positive and the brown is negative.

p10209750.th.jpg

Final result:

p1020954.th.jpg

p10209550.th.jpg

Hope someone will find it useful.

Edited by czaja74

2 questions. 1 bow.

1) The arrows in the photos, are they all pointing to the red wire?

2) Is it wired to the Door lights so they'll turn on when opening a door?

*bows* Thanks to your awesomeness, this actually seems possible for me now.

Nice post czaja74 really helpful with the photos :clap:

Just to clarify are they connected to the doors and come on individually with each door or all at once and fade out?

Also the wire is it connected to the red or orange?

Thanks for a great post I may give this a go now :spiteful:

No problem. Yes these come on individually when you open each door. The arrows point to both, ORANGE and RED wires (just like 1st photo).

Aw.. I want them to go on with the dome light :(.

Everytime I remove my glovebox and look underneath, first reaction is always the same. WTF? :blink:

Great post czaja74. Even I might try it. Anyone suggest the best LED strips to get? Seems a choice between USA and China. Would prefer paying a little more for quality ones.

Cheers Tom

Aren't they all made in China nowadays?

Pretty much. And amazing how cheap as well if sourced directly from China. I have two 5 metre rolls of the stuff. Just because it's Chinese made, doesn't make it bad quality.

Pretty much. And amazing how cheap as well if sourced directly from China. I have two 5 metre rolls of the stuff. Just because it's Chinese made, doesn't make it bad quality.

Thanks Daryl,

I was looking at a double 12" strip in the US that looked good but was $15 + pp (obviously need two sets). The Chinese ones didn't look quite as impressive, but were about a third of that price.

I will go with the dome dimmer with extra switch and wire it myself, except the actual connection behind the glove box. Even with your help I have the same reaction as Kenpo when I take the GB out.

So here you are. Took me a few minutes to find the right wiring but it payed off.

Just wanted to add a short note.

People please share your mods. When doing one do take camera and take few shots for the forum members so we can easily follow it. We all benefit from shared knowledge. I will hate to see that this forum becomes show off forum where people just show theirs mods but never help others. This is really great forums so let’s keep it this way.

Also for anyone that wants to do the mod and there is no photos in the thread do take camera and take a few shots yourself. It will be much easier for anyone to just circle the right spot.

• Like 1

Just had a mini blackout as I finished this the first time. Thats life. I've ordered the strips from China. Following the great guru's advice I decided to source a SPDT rocker switch that would fit in the holes beside the parking sensor switch. Quotes from the local Toyota dealer ranged up to $200 and still would have had to be modified. Local Boat & Auto shops has none that size. (Clever Toyota)

I ended up buying a packet of ten from China for $11 aud delivered. I really only need one. Although not strictly 12 volt switches (They are rated at 6A at 250 Volt) I'm sure the piddly draw from four 12" led strips at 12 V DC won't cause them to lose sweat.

I anticipate they or rather it will fit into the blank over the empty switch hole.

I now intend to pinch the fade positive from the ignition surround light, if I can get to it. I'm sure there won't be too much trouble locating the non dimmable active for the other positive feed.

With International postage not setting any speed records I will sit back and enjoy Christmas and wait until they both arrive (Strips & switches). The camera is primed and ready for the mod (and Christmas)

Merry Christmas Everyone

Cheers Tom

Great guide! Thanks.

Although I still **** myself at the thought of doing it! I need a "for dummies" instalation video, a help line and possibly 000 on standby when I fry myself!

Might give it a go though - really would like to try it out myself - Toyota have already made enough money out of me!

What is the difference wiring it to the dome light? I think I like the idea of the fade although really dont care when it comes down to it I guess....

From what I understand wiring them to the doors they will come on individually with each door light and wiring to the dome they will all come on at once and fade out.

I have ordered my strips from china for $8 delivered now just have to wait for them to arrive :clap:

I think the dome way looks much easier, run all the wires from each strip to the front behind the glovebox and connect to the wires as indicated in the picture. With wiring them to the doors you need to access the panels each side behind the seatbelt mounts and also the kick panels but it all depends what you want the end effect to be.

Cheers

Peter

Great post czaja74. Even I might try it. Anyone suggest the best LED strips to get? Seems a choice between USA and China. Would prefer paying a little more for quality ones.

Cheers Tom

With a guide as good as this I decided to get some ticker and do it myself. The switches still havn't shown up, but all the wiring is in ready other than the non dimmable feed. I decided to see how they go with just the dimmable feed. Seems to dim my combi tool when you close the door so I obviously have the correct wires.

Dont know if all Aurions are the same, but discovered a panel behind the glove box. Easy removal except for the concealed screw behind the top section of the passenger's footwell panel. Able to spring this away to get at it. The rest was straight forward.

Cheers Tom

Got sprung by the better? half. Wanted to know how long after the lights dim the movie commenced. Glad I'm only married to one of them. :rolleyes:

Hey Guys/Girls, what is the best route between the centre console and the front seats? Ive come out under the console on top fo the carpet, but balked. The seat has a fair amount of travel and don't want to jam the wires. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Tom

Hi Tom,

I was going to go directly under the seat leaving enough wiring for travel then follow the wires that are under there through the hole in the carpet. Not sure how anyone else has done it but that seems the best route to me.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Tom,

I was going to go directly under the seat leaving enough wiring for travel then follow the wires that are under there through the hole in the carpet. Not sure how anyone else has done it but that seems the best route to me.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks Peter,

Got stuck into it last night. No problem "tongueing" the wires through. Very neat and safe. I am going to try telephone Scotch connectors to join the wires to the LEDs as the LED wires are minute. If it doesn't work I'll just solder and heat shrink them. Thanks for the help.

Cheers T.

Purchased the speaker wire from the local ***** Smiths. I dont know what they are putting in the silver wire now, but its impossible to solder.

Had a look amongst my old gear from a former life, and found some 1mm twin, both copper with tracer. Spent four days on the first lot trying to get good solder joints and its now in the bin. Took about two hours with the second lot.

Moral is, if your going to solder the joints....

Hope this saves someone a bit of time.

Cheers Tom

Purchased the speaker wire from the local ***** Smiths. I dont know what they are putting in the silver wire now, but its impossible to solder.

Had a look amongst my old gear from a former life, and found some 1mm twin, both copper with tracer. Spent four days on the first lot trying to get good solder joints and its now in the bin. Took about two hours with the second lot.

Moral is, if your going to solder the joints....

Hope this saves someone a bit of time.

Cheers Tom

Glad its not only me I thought my soldering skills had gone out the window last time I tried to solder speaker wire :yahoo:

• 1 year later...

Issue: After connecting the foot well lights to the wires behind the glove box, in the rear, doors closed, when the reading light buttons are depressed, the door courtesy lights also come on.

Do they do that usually? I can not recall, but I don't think so.

Otherwise, as per the first post, the two wires behind the glove box are the correct wires. An inline fuse was added for good measure.

• 2 years later...

hey everyone,

I know i'm a bit late in jumping onto the band wagon but i've been wanting to do this mod for ages. All my LED strips have arrived and all i need to do is run down to jaycar and pick up some wires and scotch locks. My question is though, if i was to wire the strips to the dome light, isn't the fuse located in the engine bay? would i have to somehow route the wires into the engine bay fuse box?

Hi, have had mine wired to the wires suggested by Darryl and others for about three and a half years now. Dimmable deep blue. I'm still as stoked with them as I was when I fitted them.

The LEDs draw such little power that the fuse can cope with the extra load. If you aren't happy with that fit a very small in line fuse in your connections.

Its a mod that's easy and rewarding.

Good luck with it.

Tom

btw I fitted the multi toggle to be able to pick the fade on door opening, with the intention of supplying constant power to be able to turn them on when someones in the car with the door closed. Never got around to that bit and found it unnecessary anyway.