levin ZR headlight out

So last night noticed the drivers side headlight (lowbeam) is out... so being the ZR its got HID's.

So is it the bulb thats blown or the ballast is fkd? i have no idea... some helpful advice :)

Tried both autobahn n repco... no dice on bulbs. So WHERE do i buy replacement bulbs? and if i buy do I just get a bulb or do I need to buy a complete bulb, ballast etc. kit???

Dont say ebay... i know ebay exists. rather buy local so i can install right meow.

And can i change the bulb etc. myself??? read the toyota manual - it pretty deliberately leaves out info on changing HID bulbs, mentions refer to dealer.

Ring Toyota for warranty, it will be covered. Normal life span of a HID bulb is around the 3-4000 hours.

Changing is simple, its just unclip the base connector, remove the retaining spring and pull it out. Easy as. Just have a look, its self explanatory.

Replacement, if you want whiter bulbs, i recommend the Garax D4S 6000k (pure white with a tiny tinge of blue) from Mtecpower on ebay, US seller, around 120-130/pair. Genuine Garax bulbs at great price. OEM Philips will be 2-3 times the price of the imports if you buy them here.

First off, call toyota.

so mike carney toyota are a bunch of fkn morons. I rang up when booking the car in to say the headlight was out... that didn't spark any thought 'oh... we dont have any HID kits in stock... better order one' so the Mrs drops the car in at 3.30pm sharp... is still sitting there at 4.30pm when I dropped past after work.

I told the Mrs to take the commonwhore and go home, cook me some dinner. So I walk upto the counter to say i'll be collecting the corolla when its ready... 'oh looks like its been done' sez the fktard... the keys up on the wall like they have been there for a long bloody time. Thank god the mrs didn't hear that cuz she'd have blown a top... she was sitting there for a fkn hour and they probably looked at the car, n put it back in the car park 5 minutes after she arrived.

So initially I thought fine, wateva... a least the car is done. 'so yea, we dont have any HID globes in stock... be a week to ship one from Sydney'. I was due to blow but held my cool... he then proceeded to not listen to what I said and booked me on the wrong day and time next week... fkn moron.

Going to make a few calls today:

1) Ashdown Ingram - see if they have any HID globes to suit my car in stock. 99% sure it'll be a no...

2)I'm going to call up Mike Carney today and see if changing the globes myself will harm my warranty... cuz they are so fkn useless and I dont like having the mrs driving the car around at night with 1 headlight...

Why the fk they wouldn't stock HID globes when they are becoming very bloody popular in higher spec'd toyota's (or so i was to believe).

Sounds like normal Toyota incompetence. Funny how they have such great sales people, yet almost all service people are farqwits. I dont think its the techs fault out in the workshop most times, its the w@nkers at the service desk.. "Service managers" my butt, they couldnt organize a root in a brothel.

Hope things look up for you sooner than later.

Done... with no fuk ups and no waiting (as we dropped it off and I collected it a few hours later after work). Got a call to say it was done... they seemed under less workload that day.

I did try and get a peek at the $ invoice quickly... sure it was over $100 for the 1 globe!!! Pretty sure they'd have only changed the one globe right?

Thats probably the labour cost, last time i checked i think they were charging upwards of 180+ per globe.

Depending how old the original globes were, you may see a slight colour difference between them, wait till they warm up and check it out...

Good to hear minimal fuss was the order of the day :)

• 2 months later...

just read your thread, i have the same problem, just spoke to toyota artarmon, the service guy was great,$30 for the globe, if these cars are out in the millions as the corollas seem to stock these lights as the norm can't see why they are so hard to find and so hard to replace, if only they were as easy as changing a light bulb, i might be an expert when i get to see mine being changed, the 20000 volts scared me off but will keep you guys posted

• 3 months later...

just read your thread, i have the same problem, just spoke to toyota artarmon, the service guy was great,$30 for the globe, if these cars are out in the millions as the corollas seem to stock these lights as the norm can't see why they are so hard to find and so hard to replace, if only they were as easy as changing a light bulb, i might be an expert when i get to see mine being changed, the 20000 volts scared me off but will keep you guys posted

it's my turn to have the same problem with the bulb going off. brighton toyota gave me a quote of $520 fitted. it's way too much, the guy at the counter mentioned the bulb itself is over $470, but on the interwebs I could find ones for 10 times less, and in this thread as well, so, i'm confused. I don't know much about cars but $500+ seems excessive no matter what. I have a service center right across the road, I was thinking I could buy one off ebay and get the guys across the road to install it.

I'll try to keep you posted.

PS: Yes, this is my first post, be gentle please :unsure:

So last night noticed the drivers side headlight (lowbeam) is out... so being the ZR its got HID's.

So is it the bulb thats blown or the ballast is fkd? i have no idea... some helpful advice :)

Tried both autobahn n repco... no dice on bulbs. So WHERE do i buy replacement bulbs? and if i buy do I just get a bulb or do I need to buy a complete bulb, ballast etc. kit???

Dont say ebay... i know ebay exists. rather buy local so i can install right meow.

And can i change the bulb etc. myself??? read the toyota manual - it pretty deliberately leaves out info on changing HID bulbs, mentions refer to dealer.

I have checked the Japanese manual, and they say the same thing... The HID should not go out that fast, you better brings to warranty and argue with them, because I believe they will use excuses not to do it for Free for you..

I do believe it is a quality of the malfunctioned HID. They are just bull**** of charging you

Edited by ben yip

Got a call from Brighton Toyota this arvo. They can do it for $63! How come?!

They try to rip you off first and then sell you at the right price...

I'll go Tuesday to get it done, $63 feels right

Got a call from Brighton Toyota this arvo. They can do it for $63! How come?!

They try to rip you off first and then sell you at the right price...

I'll go Tuesday to get it done, $63 feels right

WTF?? Cant trust Toyota dealerships these days.. always do some research around first before opting to go to Toyota, they do charge you an arm and leg for everything. <_<

• 5 months later...

When replacing, the HID Globes in a ZR, is there any possibility, when placing the new globes into the socket, that one may have shifted the alignment of the projectors?

Thanks.

Side note: I have replaced the parkers with a particular set of LEDs. Here are the results:

DSC_0453.JPG

I'll take a better picture upon request.

Edited by u54mot

When replacing, the HID Globes in a ZR, is the any possibility, when placing the new globes into the socket, that one may have shifted the alignment of the projectors?

Thanks.

Side note: I have replaced the parkers with a particular set of LEDs. Here are the results:

I'll take a better picture upon request.

Great timing with that question, :D I'm waiting on new bulbs as we speak..

Those parkers are sooooo bright, maybe too bright?

Great timing with that question, :D I'm waiting on new bulbs as we speak..

Those parkers are sooooo bright, maybe too bright?

I think i am just being silly, or maybe because I was driving an Aurion before i drove the Corolla, and there would be slightly different aim.

No they are not too bright. They definitely match the Garax 6000K perfectly!

John, what bulbs did your order?

Thomas I bought some Garax 6000K

EDIT: Toyota quoted me $30 for a new bulb (Levin ZR) if anyone was curious, I believe they are 4300K

Which Toyota Dealership was this? (I have a pair of working OEM Toshiba/Garison 4300K Bulbs, if anyone wants them PM me)

Thomas I bought some Garax 6000K

EDIT: Toyota quoted me $30 for a new bulb (Levin ZR) if anyone was curious, I believe they are 4300K

Which Toyota Dealership was this? (I have a pair of working OEM Toshiba/Garison 4300K Bulbs, if anyone wants them PM me)

That was Stewart Toyota at Kirrawee, he didn't have any but told me their Rockdale dealership have two in stock.