Which coolant should I use?

Nightfall

HI all, I am very confused with the cooling system of my '97 Camry 2.2L M/T. The engine has been constantly overheating for quite a while

I think it's time for me to flush, drain the radiator and fill up the fresh coolant and all that but here's the problem.

I was told at the autobarn that my camry would consume green coloured concentrated coolant and I bought it. Came home and opened a radiator

drain plug and then I saw this damn pink fluid coming out...... Thank god I didn't pop the coolant container open prior to that

So I did some googling to sort this out but the longer I googled the more I was confused.. in some article, someone says that

97 camry(SXV20R, 5SFE ENGINE) needs 'Long life coolant', which is green, and in another posting of someone says that the camry comes with

pink coolant, which is known to be 'super long life coolant', designed for aluminium engine equipment.

Now, as long as the fluid was pink coloured I've seen coming out of the radiator, I might go have a refund on my current green one and buy a pink one.

I mean, if they mix, is the engine gonna explode or something? LOL

Pretty much every Toyota from the mid-90s on will use Toyota Red long-life coolant. There's nothing really wrong (some people will argue this though) with using the green coolants, but as noted you MUST do an absolutely complete flush (radiator, block, head and heater core, the lot) of the system with plain water before you can re-fill with the other colour, as they do NOT like mixing together.

You can't really beat the genuine toyota coolants. Every engine I've pulled down that has only ever run the red or pink coolant has been spotless in the water galleries.

Toyota Red coolant is "Long Life", Toyota Pink Coolant is "Super Long Life".

If your car's overheating a lot, I'd be taking the radiator to a radiator shop to have a tank removed and the core unblocked. With that done, replace the thermostat with a genuine part and fill the system with either toyota red or pink coolant.

• 3 years later...

Old ***** thread but im looking at this - only cuz it looks like my coolants gettin low.

Anyone know if i should buy from the dealership or wha?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lexus-Scion-Toyota-Genuine-Pink-Engine-Coolant-Antifreeze-1-Gallon-Long-Life-/350623797286?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AToyota&hash=item51a2ce9026&_uhb=1

When I did my radiator/coolant change in April 2013, I paid Toyota Moorooka Parts $43.50 for Toyota Red Long Life Coolant 4l concentrate. So the price is not really bad to source genuine Toyota coolant from a local dealer.

Edited by bathuu

It would seem I am forgetting something about my coolant purchase some 2 years ago.

However, it doesn't change my opinion: Buy local. By the time you take into consideration: time taken to ship to AU, currency conversion, risk for it to leak or be damaged in transit with no chance of getting your money back if it does; you'd be a damn fool to not buy it from your nearest dealer (or even just grab some Nulon Long Life coolant).

It would seem I am forgetting something about my coolant purchase some 2 years ago.However, it doesn't change my opinion: Buy local. By the time you take into consideration: time taken to ship to AU, currency conversion, risk for it to leak or be damaged in transit with no chance of getting your money back if it does; you'd be a damn fool to not buy it from your nearest dealer (or even just grab some Nulon Long Life coolant).

Yeah dont worry ill be gettin local. Cheers for the advice.