Blow up your Engine...a cautionary tale.

This is from our UK sister site....

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?act=SF&f=50

Right this is the situation 5 Weeks ago yesterday I was unfortunately unlucky enough to blow up the engine in my CTS. To cut a long story short the engine was over revved so a Toyota Technician has told me, he went on to say that the exhaust valves have hit the pistons there for needing to replace all four pistons and all the exhaust valves and the camshaft for good measure. Anyway to find out all of this the engine had to be striped the main problem though is that this is no ordinary engine and therefore is not the easiest thing to put back together. After now fitting all the new parts the engine is still not running correctly I was told yesterday therefore is not going to ready for yet another weekend. I am really starting to get a bit annoyed as I am paying for a car that I do not even get the pleasure of using anymore as nice as a 1.0T3 Yaris is it is not a T-Sport Corolla and that’s what I bought. Do you think I should get on to Toyota UK as I really have had enough!

Nick

This is from our UK sister site....

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?act=SF&f=50

Right this is the situation 5 Weeks ago yesterday I was unfortunately unlucky enough to blow up the engine in my CTS. To cut a long story short the engine was over revved so a Toyota Technician has told me, he went on to say that the exhaust valves have hit the pistons there for needing to replace all four pistons and all the exhaust valves and the camshaft for good measure. Anyway to find out all of this the engine had to be striped the main problem though is that this is no ordinary engine and therefore is not the easiest thing to put back together. After now fitting all the new parts the engine is still not running correctly I was told yesterday therefore is not going to ready for yet another weekend. I am really starting to get a bit annoyed as I am paying for a car that I do not even get the pleasure of using anymore as nice as a 1.0T3 Yaris is it is not a T-Sport Corolla and that’s what I bought. Do you think I should get on to Toyota UK as I really have had enough!

Nick

***** where do people come off thinking they can ***** rape their cars and then winge when they have to be fixed. n00bs.

DOnt blow up your engine and then you wont have to wait for it to be fixed. :unsure:

a guy in syd who blew mis-shifted his new celica waited over 6 months to get his car back.

"To cut a long story short the engine was over revved so a Toyota Technician has told me"

the celica is fitted with a "black box", and since the corolla also incorporated the 2ZZ I imagine u guys will have the same deal, toyota can tap into it and retrieve vital data before the engine blew etc (such as RPM etc).

Sharmz, for me the amazing thing here is that if U check the thread it seems that Toyota UK have honoured the damage under warranty.....

I just cant understand that if there's a rev limiter there how is this possible...???

perhaps we're talking faulty CPU software..??

Any other thoughts out there.....

I'm thinking that too. The engine misfires to control rpm at cutout right?

what happens if you downshift just below cutout? won't that put you way past redline? will the synchros give you a hard time at that rpm for downshifting? :blink:

• Like 1

I'm thinking that too. The engine misfires to control rpm at cutout right?

what happens if you downshift just below cutout? won't that put you way past redline? will the synchros give you a hard time at that rpm for downshifting? :blink:

No they won't, someone pulled out in front of me the other day, reaction is to jam the breaks and downshift hard, all it did was compression lock the front wheels but the tacho went past 8,200. Not something I would recomend but it was an emergency, I was doing about 90 and they just pulled right out then at the next lights he yells out his window "Oy *******, you trying to kill me" Whats the go with that, he had no blinker and simply pulled out. ***** head :P.

Anyway, I am pleased to report the car stopped almost instantly :).

there is a rev limiter, but when u downshift before the rev limiter, the engine can go way past redline/rev limit even though it may not show. I cant remember but the dude with the celica, when toyota examined the box they told him it went beyond 9KRPM.

seriously though, the guy has screwed his car, theyre takin their time to fix it properly and hes whinging like somehow hes been rorted. :blink:

• Like 1

The guy who had the engine problem you are talking about is Nick Johnson. He complained for a little while of a noise his engine was making before it said good bye.

The cause of it was actually a faulty camshaft! That is why it was repaired under warranty!

• Like 1

Thanx Ilivfor6 for clarifying that for us.

I guess Toyota aren't silly and if they could have proved neglect or abuse causing the fault they wouldn't have honoured the claim under warranty. I wonder if reading the CPU history is a regular thing to do when appraising a claim, that'd be recent speed driven and revs used, bit scary they can retrieve all this info ??

As it was honoured, they know what caused it (the camshaft).Wonder why they cant get it to run right after the repair though..??

Just out of interest I heard the IZZ-FE (MR2 base corolla engine, vvti) needs its tappets adjusted (reshimmed) at a service under 100k kms and apparently its a prick of a job both technically and costwise, I was just wondering if it's the same for the CTS/Sportivo/Celica motor ????

• Like 1

I wonder if reading the CPU history is a regular thing to do when appraising a claim, that'd be recent speed driven and revs used, bit scary they can retrieve all this info ??

if a car is at toyota service for fault diagnostics the mechanic will probably access the car's computer records for reports. i do not know if the computer records your driving style but i do know that it records electronic faults. next time your car is at toyota service ask the mechanic to demonstrate to you what they do.

rolla_boy can you help with information on what is recorded by a car's computer?

From what I know, or at least the little that I know, when you send your car in to be appraised, whether it be with the insurance company or the dealer, they don't usually check the computer records. If it's a problem that they already know exist, they will have no questions when it comes to repairing it.

But it all comes down to whether it's even covered by the warranty or not.

Neglect or abuse faults are pretty obvious, but I do believe that they will still fix most problems regardless of whether it was really an abuse issue.

That has been my experience anyway.

the parts in your car that have painted yellow marks (like dots) are warranty parts. mess with these parts and you would lose your warranty for that part.

if you ever wondered if a part was changed at a service (for example oil filter) have a look at that part for the factory painted yellow mark. if it is marked then it was not changed.