presara gps update

SCOOTA44

Holy sh!t thats expensive!

I recently set up my olds with the latest maps for Aus and UK on their Tomtom, and it set them back less than $150 for both countries!

Could you not buy the Whereis maps for another device cheaper and DIY them onto the Presara's SD card?

In fact it seems Tomtom uses Whereis maps, so buying them cheap from Tomtom and putting them on your Presara's card should be pretty straight forward.

• 4 weeks later...

Since there has being a few queries on the newest where is disc for genuine sat nav i am pleased to inform you all that V17 has been released and now is for sale, price however s still a killer. P/N: PZQ86-00201 RRP $325.00

Since there has being a few queries on the newest where is disc for genuine sat nav i am pleased to inform you all that V17 has been released and now is for sale, price however s still a killer. P/N: PZQ86-00201 RRP $325.00

Oh why oh why would anyone buy it then? For that price you might as well buy a high end GPS device or for way more half than that price buy updated maps for your GPS device.

Oh why oh why would anyone buy it then? For that price you might as well buy a high end GPS device or for way more half than that price buy updated maps for your GPS device.

Well yes whilst it true you cold buy a new Navman, Tomtom or Garmin every couple of years for he price of the update but the reality is if your car has the 7inch touch screen indash system you arent actually going to buy an aftermarket satnav that's just stupid and pointless? Also the Where IS software in the factory system tends to be a little clevier and on the money then the aftermarket units but yes why it's so exxy i have no idea, we'd sell three times as many if it was half the price!

Well yes whilst it true you cold buy a new Navman, Tomtom or Garmin every couple of years for he price of the update but the reality is if your car has the 7inch touch screen indash system you arent actually going to buy an aftermarket satnav that's just stupid and pointless? Also the Where IS software in the factory system tends to be a little clevier and on the money then the aftermarket units but yes why it's so exxy i have no idea, we'd sell three times as many if it was half the price!

To me, at the current price being asked for the update disc, it's literally price gouging on the part of the vendors. Those of us with the factory sat nav are pretty much a captive market, really. So, if you want to keep your maps updated, be prepared to lose limbs and appendages in exchange for the privilege. As for the software in the factory system tending to be a bit cleverer, I'd disagree actually.

Take for example Garmin GPS's. They are pretty bloody accurate atm, and now the lifetime updates come bundled as a bonus with the purchase of unit. This equates to 4 updates per year, for however many years the unit will last you. More bang for your buck, if you ask me......... I have the Garmin 1450T and, I hate to say it, but it absolutely ****s on the factory sat nav in my Presara. If I'm heading somewhere where I've never been before, I use the Garmin, even though the factory sat nav is there. I have Ver. 16 of the maps on the factory satnav atm.

Yes, my Garmin only has a 5" screen and the factory display is 7" but this still doesn't make up for the lack of functionality, REAL TIME SPEED display, spoken street names, red light camera warnings, real time traffic advisory service.... etc etc... the list goes on.

$2500 factory sat nav vs $400 Garmin (including lifetime updates)? Heck of a price to pay for integrated navigation aids in the console that looks pretty and cool and "works" with the rest of the onboard tech.:g:

Just my 2c worth.

Cheers,

BB

PS - Pity the 7 inch screen can't be used as an TV/DVD/Blue Ray/PC display....

PPS - One thing I WILL give the factory Sat Nav is that it seems to work better while I'm going through the Graham Farmer tunnel...... Does it have inbuilt gyros to keep spatial orientation? If it does, this is an advantage over any portable GPS unit.

Edited by Beep Beep

• 2 weeks later...

PPS - One thing I WILL give the factory Sat Nav is that it seems to work better while I'm going through the Graham Farmer tunnel...... Does it have inbuilt gyros to keep spatial orientation? If it does, this is an advantage over any portable GPS unit.

The factory GPS is connected to a gyro, and the speed sensor.

There is a seller who sells it for $300. No much difference though.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-TOYOTA-GENUINE-SATELLITE-NAVIGATION-UPDATE-DISC-/270715261263

By the way do you know if Lexus one (PZQ86-00211) is the same?

lexusdisc.jpg

:g:

Lexus and Toyota GPS DVD's are the same, and will work with either vehicle.

Mmm i remember reading something on this sometime ago and something is telling me that for some reason you can’t use the Lexus one in a Toyota and vice-versa but can’t be 100% positive now :g:

:g:

Lexus and Toyota GPS DVD's are the same, and will work with either vehicle.

Mmm i remember reading something on this sometime ago and something is telling me that for some reason you can’t use the Lexus one in a Toyota and vice-versa but can’t be 100% positive now :g:

It's working in my Presara, and my friend's RX350.

• 3 months later...

Ver. 17 is not available yet. When it is available, you'll find all the information here. (Usually about March/April)

Interesting... I bought a new ZR6 with Sat Nav, picked up on 12 Feb and it had V17 installed. A couple of months later I received an e-mail from Whereis (they do the maps etc) to say that the V17 was now available. I'm always sending them updates to the maps... I checked out the DVD in the car and it says that it's made in Japan (by Toyota)!

Wow, that's a bargain!.......... NOT. :P

Wow, that's a bargain!.......... NOT. :P

Whereis have V17 (Australia only) for $295 - http://www.whereisma...ls&deviceid=252

The Denso one that's in my car is V17_R6 which includes NZ. If you aren't taking your car to NZ...

• 2 years later...

Is there any way of updating maps without spending $300? That price is just a bit silly. My 2008 zr6 could probably do with a maps update soon....