1981 Hiace Campervan Restoration

1981_hiace_reviver

Greetings to one and all,

We have taken on the mission of bringing a 1981 Hiace campervan "El Burrito" back into action.
He was neglected, in the hands of evil people who sought to rip off some naive dreamers (that be us), from Brisbane to Coffs harbour he consumed more oil than a group of school kids at some fast food outlet (3+ litres). We paniced.

Subsequently, we replaced the engine (2.2L diesel 'L' series) at Coffs Harbour.
Carried out by a crew that I cannot rate highly enough for being so straight down the line and passionate about what they do (S&H Motors).

We drove him down to Sydney and on the way, discovered a really bizzare thing he does when it's dark and wet.
Suddenly, out of nowhere, the headlights go off and the hi beam indicator light illuminates on the dashboard.
The remedy for this problem is to flick the high beams on momentarily and everything goes back to normal!

Another thing he has been doing lately is with the column shift 4 speed L41 transmission
when the van is stationary, say, at the lights. Upon wanting to take off he wont go into first or second gear?
However, I have found that if I roll the vehicle a little, he will then cooperate.
Am thinking this could be a transmission oil issue hopefully.
When we had the engine replaced, we also did the clutch plate.

Finally, the biggest and most nail biting of issues... RUST! heaps and heaps of rust where the pop top meets the cabin, gees I would have loved to have been there when they did the pop-top modification! I would have certainly mentioned the words ensuing corrosion several times that's for sure.

The first bit of work I have done, that I can brag about is I changed the Oil + Oil Filter at the 1000km mark on the reco'd engine.

No metal particles evident to the naked eye, but I'm sure there was something caught in the oil filter.

For the purposes of documentation, the Oil Filter for the LH30 2.2 Diesel L-series engine is the Z9 (very common) and it takes 6.5 Litres of Oil when filling dry.

Well folks, I'll see to updating my log once in a while to have a sort of journal happening.

Perhaps, one day, my findings may assist someone out there?

Should you be reading this and know of some good sources of documentation for the 1981 LH30 Hiace, we shall be very greatful and happy to share our findings also (as long as it doesn't contravene the rules of this forum).

Cheers, biggrin.gif

'81HR

08/03/11

The plot thickens!

We have found a 5th gear! so, the gearbox I thought it was, isn't.

Much to my amazement, it was actually my mother in law that found it and at first, I didn't believe her.
Until I went down and tried it myself.
The nutty thing is, I didn't even think to check as the car was listed as a 4 speed.
Hilarious!
Must research what exactly this gearbox is, any assistance would be grand.

Also, over the weekend, I saw to reducing the wiring that had accumulated over the years.
Including an external temperature gauge.
I removed this external gauge and now the dashboard temperature gauge doesn't work?
I'm hoping I may have overtightened the tempo sender switches connector tab when fiddling and subsequently damaged it.
When earthing the temperature sending wire (from the gauge) to the body of the car the temperature gauge goes towards the hot position, so that's OK.

For reference, a suitable temp sender that I have tracked down is the Tridon - TTS006
haven't bought it yet to confirm but all the documentation (or lack thereof) suggests this.

To be continued
'81HR

Qg0fU

Edited by 1981_hiace_reviver

• 8 months later...

Greetings to one and all,

We have taken on the mission of bringing a 1981 Hiace campervan "El Burrito" back into action.

He was neglected, in the hands of evil people who sought to rip off some naive dreamers (that be us), from Brisbane to Coffs harbour he consumed more oil than a group of school kids at some fast food outlet (3+ litres). We paniced.

Subsequently, we replaced the engine (2.2L diesel 'L' series) at Coffs Harbour.

Carried out by a crew that I cannot rate highly enough for being so straight down the line and passionate about what they do (S&H Motors).

We drove him down to Sydney and on the way, discovered a really bizzare thing he does when it's dark and wet.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, the headlights go off and the hi beam indicator light illuminates on the dashboard.

The remedy for this problem is to flick the high beams on momentarily and everything goes back to normal!

Another thing he has been doing lately is with the column shift 4 speed L41 transmission

when the van is stationary, say, at the lights. Upon wanting to take off he wont go into first or second gear?

However, I have found that if I roll the vehicle a little, he will then cooperate.

Am thinking this could be a transmission oil issue hopefully.

When we had the engine replaced, we also did the clutch plate.

Finally, the biggest and most nail biting of issues... RUST! heaps and heaps of rust where the pop top meets the cabin, gees I would have loved to have been there when they did the pop-top modification! I would have certainly mentioned the words ensuing corrosion several times that's for sure.

The first bit of work I have done, that I can brag about is I changed the Oil + Oil Filter at the 1000km mark on the reco'd engine.

No metal particles evident to the naked eye, but I'm sure there was something caught in the oil filter.

For the purposes of documentation, the Oil Filter for the LH30 2.2 Diesel L-series engine is the Z9 (very common) and it takes 6.5 Litres of Oil when filling dry.

Well folks, I'll see to updating my log once in a while to have a sort of journal happening.

Perhaps, one day, my findings may assist someone out there?

Should you be reading this and know of some good sources of documentation for the 1981 LH30 Hiace, we shall be very greatful and happy to share our findings also (as long as it doesn't contravene the rules of this forum).

Cheers, :D

'81HR

08/03/11

The plot thickens!

We have found a 5th gear! so, the gearbox I thought it was, isn't.

Much to my amazement, it was actually my mother in law that found it and at first, I didn't believe her.

Until I went down and tried it myself.

The nutty thing is, I didn't even think to check as the car was listed as a 4 speed.

Hilarious!

Must research what exactly this gearbox is, any assistance would be grand.

Also, over the weekend, I saw to reducing the wiring that had accumulated over the years.

Including an external temperature gauge.

I removed this external gauge and now the dashboard temperature gauge doesn't work?

I'm hoping I may have overtightened the tempo sender switches connector tab when fiddling and subsequently damaged it.

When earthing the temperature sending wire (from the gauge) to the body of the car the temperature gauge goes towards the hot position, so that's OK.

For reference, a suitable temp sender that I have tracked down is the Tridon - TTS006

haven't bought it yet to confirm but all the documentation (or lack thereof) suggests this.

To be continued

'81HR

I'd like to see some photos if possible :)

I'm doing up a 1980 model myself. See it at:

http://www.johnluck.net/index_campervan.html

Cheers

John

post-25112-0-10315300-1319107919_thumb.j

Edited by Ferretman

• 10 months later...

Hi 1981_hiace_reviver

I've just signed up to this site because I'm in a real pickle and ANY advice you might be able to give me as a fellow 1981 hiace owner would be much appreciated.

I'm on the hunt for a wiper linkage assembly, and there are seemingly NONE out there! Toyota says it's obsolete. I've found a 1982 model linkage assemble on ebay but dpn't know if that could be used/adapted.

As you know the 81 Hiace is a beauty, so it kills me to think lack of access to this part could be the end of my beautiful van.

hope to hear from you!

Heather

• 3 months later...

Hi Heather,

Sorry for the delay in reply.

We's in need of the a new wiper linkage too. I am guessing there's perhaps a model Toyota make that is similar in dimensions or a second hand one may be lurking out there somewhere.

How bad is the rust on yours?

I am abut to embark on the journey of doing the rust. It is rather serious.

1981HR

• 2 months later...

Hi 1981HR

Now I'M sorry for the late reply!

Believe it or not I'm still looking - have you had any luck? I bought a 1982 linkage on ebay which is very different but I may get someone to attach it anyway...

Otherwise, do you think the 1980 model would be a closer fit? I gather the 1981 > 1982 changes were more marked.

How did you know about my rust? Yep, I tried to fix it myself a few years ago: it's now time for professional help. Not sure if it's worth it if I can't drive in the rain though!

cheers

Heather

• 3 months later...

Hey Heather,

Now this seems as though we are writing letters that are travelling by ship across the Pacific.

No luck finding the steering linkage.

Am thinking maybe the rubber/plastic linkage bushes could be manufactured and fitted meaning the entire part could be restored as opposed to replaced.

Have done some rust work/exploration and have made it my mission to learn how to fabricate + weld.

The way I see it, the van has 100000 k's in it without a doubt. It's a reconditioned diesel engine and has plenty of life left in it provided it is maintained.

Any luck on your side?

• 2 years later...

Hi!, I have an 82 hiace, but the early model- so same as the 81. Linkages are hard to find. I glued the old broken ones together and seems to have done the trick!.

Does anyone know the stud      patten? Finding it impossible to find! Would be great to find one that is being wrecked. How is the progress on yours? 

3 hours ago, Smurf82 said:

Hi!, I have an 82 hiace, but the early model- so same as the 81. Linkages are hard to find. I glued the old broken ones together and seems to have done the trick!.

Does anyone know the stud      patten? Finding it impossible to find! Would be great to find one that is being wrecked. How is the progress on yours? 

The original poster has not signed in for 2 years. You may het lucky and get a response though.