Yaris fuel consumption

wesleypen

Hi everyone,

I have a Yaris YRS 2010,Auto. I was planning to spend less on petrol when I bought it, but apparently after driving the car for about 10 months, I came to understand that the advertised fuel consumption figures are just exageration. all you can go is 350 km in the city and just a little bit over 400 km on the highway. If you make a complaint to the service, they will give you a list of what wrong you are doing, but never they accept that 700 km on one tank figure is just a mith! I used to have a echo-2000, and it was much more economical on petrol than yaris. other than fuel consumption, the car is great. but, people buy this car generally for its advertised fuel economy.

I can regularly achieve 500km on one tank city cycle, in a manual YRS hatch (that has been modified a bit)

700Km would be achievable on the highway IMO.

You just need to vary your driving style.

I can regularly achieve 500km on one tank city cycle, in a manual YRS hatch (that has been modified a bit)

your car's fuel consumption is about 11.90 lt/100 km, and that is still much higher than the advertised fuel consumption, (6.0 lt/100 km for manual and 6.5 lt/100 km. for auto). myconcern was that, they are misleading people to buy this car. it is still better than most of other models but it is not that good. I find this dishonest. besides, I haven't heard of anyone who could go 700 km on one tank. If there is such a person, I really congratulate him for his achievement.

Edited by wesleypen

your car's fuel consumption is about 11.90 lt/100 km, and that is still much higher than the advertised fuel consumption, (6.0 lt/100 km for manual and 6.5 lt/100 km. for auto). myconcern was that, they are misleading people to buy this car. it is still better than most of other models but it is not that good. I find this dishonest. besides, I haven't heard of anyone who could go 700 km on one tank. If there is such a person, I really congratulate him for his achievement.

Next fill up I will do some fuel consumption figures for you.

Next fill up I will do some fuel consumption figures for you.

I really appreciate that. I really want to see the real figures.

I've managed to achieve 5.9L/100km in my 1.5L Yaris on an interstate trip before, so it's definitely do-able.

From what I remember, I use to get roughly 7-8L/100km with suburban driving.

My figures vary all the time in the Sportivo, normal driving to work and back and a trip up north got me 680kms but more spirited driving gets me around 350kms...

So 700 in a 1.5 Yaris would be very do-able, but not in the auto that you've got... I'd say that figure it more from a manual model...

My figures vary all the time in the Sportivo, normal driving to work and back and a trip up north got me 680kms but more spirited driving gets me around 350kms...

So 700 in a 1.5 Yaris would be very do-able, but not in the auto that you've got... I'd say that figure it more from a manual model...

agreed...

Automatic boxes cause the engine to chew fuel like you wouldn't believe... they add weight, the fact that if you want to change down a gear you have to bury ur foot instead of just depressing the clutch and sliding the shifter...

my partner owned a 2008 Yaris YR manual and without running the tank dry around town we would easily get about 540 - 550km, and thats also in the 1.3L model which you had to drive like a stabbed rat just to make it go anywhere... slightly bigger engine i could honestly see some fuel consumtion improvement so unless they've only quoted the figures in general for the manual model, I'd say it comes down to driving style... our figures were aproximately 6.1L / 100km highway and 6.5L - 6.8L / 100km around town...

Use to get about 550-580km a tank with mix driving of freeway including bumper to bumper and city driving. Also with gunning it occasionally. Also had a few mods on mine, so don't see why you would get getting such high consumption. Unless your driving it pretty hard. Haha. Mine was a 1.3L Manual though.

Even with my Rcolt i still manage 540km before the low fuel light comes on which is about 38L used.

then, there is obviously a problem with my yaris. I try to drive it as smoothly as possible and I get a mileage of 330-350 km/tank consistently. With my previous car (echo 2000- auto-1.3 L) I used to get around 550 km per tank with that 10 year old car, and its tank was about 38 Lt. I arranged a check up at the toyota service. however, one of my friends have a yaris too, and he too has the same problem as I do. you guys must be the lucky ones to have such high mileages on petrol.

• 2 weeks later...

i just did a cal for my last refuel...

38L put in for 520km on the road...

90% city driving and 70% aircon on, thats pretty good return 7.3L/100km... (and the fact i didnt adjust my tire pressure on my 17s, down to 28psi when i pump it back up to 40psi after putting in another tank...)

• 1 month later...

been driving my gf car lately, gotta say great fuel consumption for me, as i average about 530km (city driving), depending on how i feel, (lift deprived :() i service her car every 7-8,000 kms.

but seeing i get my license back soon, decided to drive more carefully and VERY conservative:

note: freeway was ALL cruise control, also scary as hell when i thought i nearly ran out of petrol on the freeway

here's her car specs:

1. Yaris YRS 1.5L 06
  2. manual
  3. 98,000kms on the ODO
  4. cruise control

95% free way

5% normal driving

average speed: 100km/h

no a/c, just fresh air! :)

figures were:

traveled: 640km

fuel used: 38.68

consumption: 6.04L/100km

but i ain't doing that again!

Edited by that.guy

Our Yaris does 99% city/urban start/stop driving and gets roughly 450-500km to a tank.

Last fill was calculated at 7.8L/100km from an asthmatic 1.3 and 4speed slushbox.

• 4 weeks later...

This has happened!

Just recently I brought my Yaris 2010 1.5L hatch to 20000 km service and repeated my concerns about its high fuel consumption (I bought it from illawarra Toyota). The answer was shocking really! I was told by the tech service manager himself that, on unleaded petrol all you can get is about 400 km on one tank in the city, and this mileage gets even less if you drive to and from a short distance everyday in the morning and evening.he told me that all his family and friends had Yaris(es) and their mileages were similar to mine. I was even handed a booklet about why I should not expect the mileages as advertised! the most interesting part of our conversation was that he claimed most of the yaris owners report higher mileages than they could possibly get from their car because they don't want to give their car a bad name and to prevent excessive value loss when they attempt to sell it. how good is that? whether he was right or wrong,I really feel ripped off and lost my trust in Toyota. My next car will not be a Toyota, that is all I can say.

This has happened!

Just recently I brought my Yaris 2010 1.5L hatch to 20000 km service and repeated my concerns about its high fuel consumption (I bought it from illawarra Toyota). The answer was shocking really! I was told by the tech service manager himself that, on unleaded petrol all you can get is about 400 km on one tank in the city, and this mileage gets even less if you drive to and from a short distance everyday in the morning and evening.he told me that all his family and friends had Yaris(es) and their mileages were similar to mine. I was even handed a booklet about why I should not expect the mileages as advertised! the most interesting part of our conversation was that he claimed most of the yaris owners report higher mileages than they could possibly get from their car because they don't want to give their car a bad name and to prevent excessive value loss when they attempt to sell it. how good is that? whether he was right or wrong,I really feel ripped off and lost my trust in Toyota. My next car will not be a Toyota, that is all I can say.

dude, you have to remember that those figres given to you from the dealers are for a combination of city and highway driving.

for the zze corolla sportivo with 2zz-ge engine, the figures say mixed driving is 8.5L/100kms. but when i drive on the freeway only its possible for me to get 6L/100kms and if its in the city, the most fuel it ever comsumed was closer to 9.0L/100kms.

yaris is a very good car for its class. while its not the best, its definately more affordable with what you get. furthermore, its not only the fuel consumption that should steer u away from buying a toyota next time.

This has happened!

I think you will find a similar story from any car manufacturer.

You need to understand that those figures are given in optimum conditions and that MANY factors can contribute to poor fuel economy.

I can tell you now, I have no intentions to sell the yaris, and when driven gently it will do better than 400km on a city cycle... and my car has over 130,000kms on it now.

This has happened!

I think you will find a similar story from any car manufacturer.

You need to understand that those figures are given in optimum conditions and that MANY factors can contribute to poor fuel economy.

I can tell you now, I have no intentions to sell the yaris, and when driven gently it will do better than 400km on a city cycle... and my car has over 130,000kms on it now.

I am well avare of thet the advertised mileages are achieved under controlled conditions. My concern was Why my car's mileage is consistently below 400 km/tank. I do drive gently and had much better mileages on much older cars. thus it is not me.

This has happened!

dude, you have to remember that those figres given to you from the dealers are for a combination of city and highway driving.

for the zze corolla sportivo with 2zz-ge engine, the figures say mixed driving is 8.5L/100kms. but when i drive on the freeway only its possible for me to get 6L/100kms and if its in the city, the most fuel it ever comsumed was closer to 9.0L/100kms.

yaris is a very good car for its class. while its not the best, its definately more affordable with what you get. furthermore, its not only the fuel consumption that should steer u away from buying a toyota next time.

dude, can you elaborate your last sentence and be more specific?

• 2 weeks later...

Dear friends,

I have been researching on the fuel consumption of Yaris for a while. After reading countless owner feedbacks and my personel experience, I have come to understand that Yaris is not a good choice if you are planning to use it to go to work in the morning and come back home in the evening. it is quite sensitive to cold starts. If you are driving in such manner, you will be better off by buying a second hand car (big or small) at a reasonable kms. this way, you can keep half of your money in your pocket, and there will be no difference in your fuel expenses as well.

if you are doing delivery all day long by driving around in the city, or driving long distances unstoppingly on regular basis, this is the car for you. only a few cars can beat Yaris if the engine is always warm.

hope this will be useful for people planning to buy a suitable new car. kind regards.

• 2 months later...

Hi

Further to the above post, I set out to find out exactly which small Japanese car has the best fuel consumption. Limiting my results to 1.5 litres and auto.

Using the Green vehicles guide website, I got the following results. I believe they are accurate as I get a very similar figure in my yaris for the Urban figure. Also the car makers would sue if they were wrong and wouldn't quote the figures in their glossy brochures.

[*]Mazda 2 1.5l Auto Combined 6.8 Urban 8.9 Extra Urban 5.6

[*]Toyota Yaris 1.5l Auto Combined 6.7 Urban 8.7 Extra Urban 5.7

[*]Honda Jazz 1.5l Auto Combined 6.7 Urban 8.8 Extra Urban 5.5

As you can see there is not much difference (its almost like they are made in the same factory, just with different badges plonked on the engine.) It really does boil down to price and personal preferences, certainly not fuel consumption! Unless of course one or two tenths of a decimal point mean a lot to you.

Interestingly according to the website, the Jazz has 5 forward gears, but it doesnt seem to make that much of a difference.

Cheers

Edited by yarisowner99