2004 KL Verada AWD

Engine Hardware:

3.5L 6G74 SOHC 24 Valve V6

Transmission:

5 Speed Tiptronic Automatic

Engine Modifications:

K&N Panel filter

NZ CAI

2.5" Mandrel bent Exhaust cat back with Resonator and Lukey High Flow muffler and stainless dump tip

PWR Tranny Cooler

Driveline Modifications:

Stock

Brake Modifications:

DBA 4000 6x6 wiper slot rotors Front

Stock rears

Suspension Modifications:

Dobinsons Lows Front

Dobinsons Heavy Duty Lows Rear

Boge shocks

Wheels & Tyre Modifications:

5x 19" RJR Vouge with 245/35/R19 Maxxis rubber

Body Modifications:

Pedders Strut brace

Debadged except Mitsu Diamonds

380 Washer Nozzles

VR Lower Mesh Grill

Interior Modifications:

Midnight Express tint

Reversing Camera

Garmin Nuvi 200 series Nav unit(Birthday present from wife)

MOMO Ralliart wheel inserts dyed black

KE Xi Underdoor Courtesy Lights

Clear Courtesy Door Lights

TE/F inner door seals

Boot lid liner

Auto Headlights using 97 Diamante indicator/headlight stalk with auto function

Rain sensing wipers

Auto wind up windows.

JDM Spec folding side mirrors

KL Xi Door mounted Fuel/Boot release module

Homelink

VW Passat Sunglasses holder

KH Xi Flocked A and C Pillar trims

In Car Entertainment:

Alpine Type R 6.5" Splits (Front)

Alpine Type R 12" Sub

Alpine 1 Channel Mono Amp

Alpine 4 Channel Amp

JVC 7" Touchscreen AV Player

Option Audio DVD Headrests

Dynamatted front doors and Boot

Boot cargo net

Future Mods:

Reverse tilt mirrors

Extractors

SKR Tune

OEM Steering wheel remote

Well this is her the day I brought her home:

TheDayIGotIt.jpg

What she looks like today:

DSCF2328.jpg

DSCF2327.jpg

DSCF2335.jpg

Interior:

DSCF2348.jpg

Boot:

SDC11522.jpg

Engine bay:

SDC11593.jpg

The main "Luxury" mods

Folding mirrors;

th_DSCF2029.jpg

Auto lights/rain sensor;

th_DSCF2228.jpg

Auto wind up widows;

th_SDC12415.jpg

Homelink;

th_SDC12686.jpg

Edited by grelise

• 7 months later...

Update,

Installed a Reverse Tilt module, so when I select reverse, the passenger mirror powers down and out towards the rear wheel so as to know where the kerb is, then powers back to original position when out of reverse.

Also got a flash tune done on the ECU, it has gained an additional 20 - 25KW at the motor, so it's now around the 180KW mark and an increase in torque, around an extra 50nm or so.

It now runs on 98, as our cars don't have knock sensors, and economy has improved. Around town,stop start sits around mid 10's and highway has seen low 8 high 7's. Theoretically, I should now be able to get around 850/900km to a tank

Offline acceleration has improved as well as mid range punch, something the AWD's lack due to weight. Overtaking is now a breeze with the extra torque also.

Should get better with a new set of headers and new cat going in after the new year. Once there in, it's onto the rollers for a more precise tune and final power reading.

It's a clean smooth ride.. I like the pics before and after she's lowered.. Really makes a difference.

Is it just me or the front actually sits higher compared to the rear.

It's level all round, the front looks higher due to the size of the front wheel arch.

My wife personally likes the fold in mirrors and the homelink, she wants me to rig up something similar for the Yaris on the homelink side.

The Verada has gone Townsville - Perth and back with full load of kids, wife, luggage and didn't miss a beat. The only thing I did was replace the worn out strut tops and put HD Springs in the rear for the extra weight in the boot.

So jelly with all the features. Reverse tilt, Auto fold, and the homelink. Wish I have the skills to do those by myself. Can't afford to spend money on those with my current projects going. :(

The Homelink was the easiest one to do, The Yanks got it in there Diamante(Verada) as an option, it is plug and play. The map lights double as interior lights and the buttons allow up to 3 remotes to be programmed. So one is used for opening and closing the garage, saves carrying the remote around. As for the mirrors, Std on the JDM model, same, not quite plug and play, uses a Pajero mirror switch that fits where the std one does and a control box. Easy to wire up.

As for the auto wipers/lights, that was the hardest part. Tracking all the wires, splicing and such, but well worth it.

And the auto up windows, great for when my kids dont wind theirs up, lock the car and up they go.

Yes I do, then when I take them for a drive they are shocked it doesn't creak, groan or rattle like some cars at that age or newer.

I'm very happy that as a 2004 model, it is still tight as a drum. You can tell it has a stiff chassis as the frameless windows don't pop out when going up steep driveways at an angle. If they pop then your chassis is twisting.

• 3 weeks later...

So, trying not to, but, spending more on the car,

Got HM AWD Headers coming and a new 200CPI Cat, along with new Black carpet and parcel shelf and finally getting Coilovers aswell.

And lastly, new rims and tyres, reducing in size by 1" to 18's, more choice in correct load rated tyres.

As I'm still overseas till mid Feb, these will be fitted over time when I get back.

Nice mitsu, word is the 3.5 V6's go quite hard :D

Is a Verada an upper spec magna, as it looks very similar to a Magna.

Good choice of mods, especially the very practical ones like the homelink, folding mirrors and the reverse auto mirror tilt. Seeing as the mirror tilt was not a plug and play job, then could the mod be done to any car with power mirrors?

The mirror tilt can be done on any car, it is just the wiring will need to be worked out, like on mine, on the mirror controls, 1 wire does 2 functions, so a bit of splicing was needed.

Yeah the Verada is the upper spec model, like the Fairmont is to the Falcon.

The 3.5 goes real hard now that the ECU has been flashed. Coupled with the AWD, it scares alot of other cars off the line now! lol Though the 3.8 from the 380 goes even harder! The plan is to put a 3.8 into the Verada, it has been done before, it really transforms the way the car drives.

• 3 weeks later...

So, HM Headers, Coilovers and new black carpet and parcel shelf are all paid for. Now, after I get home from overseas in 3 weeks, gotta find time to fit them all in between work, and moving states.

• 1 month later...

These new headers were a PIA to fit!!! lol

Mainly access to the bolts on the exhaust manifolds. But, after much cursing, sweating, many coffees, doing housework, fixing other stuff going to a 1st birthday party, they are in.

All set and ready to go;

SDC12849.jpg

Out with the old;

SDC12844.jpg

SDC12847.jpg

In with the new;

WP_000068.jpg

WP_000069.jpg

OEM and Aftermarket side by side;

SDC12853.jpg

SDC12851.jpg

In terms of the drive, there is a definate increase in mid range punch, I'll have to see how economy goes now with the headers and the flashed ECU, got a full tank to go through.

Plus I must of had a small exhaust leak or something as the car now idles smoother and is quieter!!

The weight difference between the OEM header and the HM is very noticeable. Just from feel, the OEM headers weighs the same as 2 HM headers and the OEM connecting pipe is about twice as heavy as the HM version.

It really does like to rev now, mid range has definately improved. Have to keep an eye on the Speedo now alol.gif caught myself over the limit a few times. That's how much difference its made, well to me anyway.

I would now like to see what it does down the 1/4

• 2 months later...

I now have some K Sport coilovers fitted and what a difference it has made to the handling of the car, more direct steering, flatter stance in cornering.

The coilovers have 32 way adjustbility in compression and rebound, height adjustable both spring height (F/R) and bottom strut mount adustabilty (fronts only) meaning I can keep full spring and shock travel but still lower the car via raising the lower strut steering mount. And also camber adjustment on the strut tops.

I'm still playing with settings, but so far very happy with them.

• 1 month later...

Pics of new style DBA 4000 T3 Clubspec discs;

SDC13152.jpg

SDC13153.jpg

No left or right discs anymore as they work on either side.

I ordered the T2's, they gave me these.

Now, just gotta find time to fit them.

• 4 months later...

So, ended up not going to work as planned today, going tomorrow instead. So used the day to install another form of laziness;

Keyless Go

SDC13280.jpg

SDC13281.jpg

Keyless Entry

Keyless ignition

Remote start

Just keep the fob in your pocket

It even winds up my windows on lock

Works a treat

New discs and pads are in, lowered the car another 10mm allround, benefits of coilovers.