Wiring newspots on Bullbar - Hilux ute 2011 4.0L

minimin

Hi guys, I'm new to the site.....so a big hello. My problem is that I had a new ally bullbar fitted and new spots. Soon after the first use the spots locked on and wouldn't turn off. Then I noticed the left headlight was very dim. That was because the 20amp fuse blew. I think I can see the wiring fault but want to get your opinion also. The supply to the relay comes from the red/yellow behind the left headlight, from the relay to the switch on the dash, from the switch on the dash to the red wire behind the left headlight. I was expecting to see an earth there somewhere......maybe off the relay? What do you guys think? Post here or/and email me KEV on cloverleafdesigns@yahoo.com.au ......I'm just glad it only cost me a fuse so far.

post-24566-0-28190000-1307022965_thumb.j

post-24566-0-21602200-1307023036_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Hi minimin,I have got the wiring diagram for hooking up spotties on the current model Hilux. I will post it up tomorrow as its to bloody cold outside at the moment to go to the shed. I know they dont hook up as normal as they use a earth return setup. Thats why you blew the fuse

Hi minimin,I have got the wiring diagram for hooking up spotties on the current model Hilux. I will post it up tomorrow as its to bloody cold outside at the moment to go to the shed. I know they dont hook up as normal as they use a earth return setup. Thats why you blew the fuse

Thanks I look forward to it. Normally I would do these jobs myself but when it is a brand new Ute and brand new Bullbar I thought I would leave it to the experts who do this every day. I even said to them that it was negative(Earth) switching. Would you believe it, conrod is my user name on all other sites. No wonder I couldn't get it on this one. Nice to meet you. Conrod(Minimin).

Good afternoon Minimin,nice to meet you too mate,I hard wired mine so as soon as I flash or hit high beam they come on.I did it this way as I didnt want to drill holes for a switch and also run additional wires simply to have a switch.I figured the more I keep it original the better.I put an inline 30amp blade fuse(waterproof ) in the power supply wire from the (battery to terminal 30 on the relay )and also a 10 amp inline fuse in the wire from the RED wire on the back of the headlight plug to terminal 86 on the relay.(this wire triggers the relay so if you are running a switch run it from the red wire on the back of the headlight plug to the switch and back to terminal 86 on the relay,and as you can see the relay earths out through RED/Yellow wire on back of headlight plug when lights are on high beam,

hope this helps you out mate, cheers CONRO

PS Narva make a neat switch with a foglight symbol which illuminates and it fits perfectly into the hilux accessorie blanked off holes- Part#-63027BL,Let us know how you go

Edited by CONROD

[PS Narva make a neat switch with a foglight symbol which illuminates and it fits perfectly into the hilux accessorie blanked off holes- Part#-63027BL,Let us know how you go

Thanks Conrod....**** that feels weird as I have had the nickname Conrod since I was in the army in the 70's. In the down time I used to file, polish and balance my Cooper S rods. so they were in my kitbag for nearly two years....hence the guys started calling me conrod. Its a good job I didn't get round to doing my rockers......

Thanks for the Narva tip as that is the make of spots I am using. I found a link to 63026BL which is an illuminated rocker switch for the driving lamps. Now I just got to find a supplier.

From what you have given me re the diagram it seems the bullbar company had it mostly right. It was the wire colouring that gets me as I was not expecting it to go to a red/yellow for an earth! Where can I get wiring diagrams with the colour codes?

Cheers

Minimin

Mate I know Bursons in Newcastle and on the Central Coast sell the switches as well as Autopro. If you put the lead of your test light on the POSITIVE terminal of your battery and probe the RED/YELLOW wire with your lights on low beam you will notice that it wont light up as it is live (able to confirm this by putting the lead of your test light on the negative terminal of your battery,then when you flick it to HIGH beam the RED/YELLOW wires become earth/negative.Test light will illuminate when lead of test light is put on Positive terminal and wires back probed.

Switch retails for around $19.00

• 9 months later...

Hi Guys - new to the site so let's hope I'm posting in the right place. I'm just about to install a couple of Narva 100 watt spots on the front of my Hilux 2010 and am using a Narva switch 63026BL. Bit confused about the connections to the switch and was hoping somebody could help me out with this as I think you've done similar. I think I've got the relay bit in my head OK but I'll tell you anyway and if you think I'm going to blow the car up could you please let me know!

25 amp wire from positive side of battery to pin 30 via 20 amp fuse

Positive of both lamps to both 87s on relay

86 to main beam red wire via switch (this is the bit I'm not sure about)

85 to red/yellow on headlight wiring

Earth both lights

Any help appreciated

Edited by Sputnik

Hi Sputnik, were you going to add something?..........I'm still aprehensive about wiring up my spots and it is mainly because of the earth switching. Also the wiring of a switch on the dashboard and the wires behind the left headlight. Do I just tap into them or make a break in them....confused I am. Cheers Minimin

Hi Sputnik, were you going to add something?..........I'm still aprehensive about wiring up my spots and it is mainly because of the earth switching. Also the wiring of a switch on the dashboard and the wires behind the left headlight. Do I just tap into them or make a break in them....confused I am. Cheers Minimin

You mean you haven't got them working yet? Well, when I get mine all wired up correctly I'll send you a diagram.

Cheers,

Norman

Cheers mate.......I have been recovering from a major op which meant I couldn't do much of anything for a long time. So the list of jobs just got longer and longer. Now I am back and firing on 7cylinders..ha ha. Now I am getting things done one by one. It feels good to see the list getting shorter. I just got to stop her adding to it.

Hi Fellas,Been a while Minimin,9 months mate and you still havent wired those lights up;;;;;; Only joking mate sorry to hear about your operation champ,hope all is going to plan for you now mate. Dont cut your original wires mate as the power they are going to supply the relay with is purely to TRIGGER the relay.The relay is not going to draw any current thru them what so ever to supply the spot lights,that is going to come from your BATTERY to terminal 30 on the relay (that why you dont skimp on the size of the wire) and I used a 30 AMP waterproof inline blade fuse,just in case the relay **** it self or the wire came off and earthed out,at least I knew I had a fuse in there to blow and protect the battery side of things.

And Sputnik if you are going to install the switch,you will have to run the supply wire to the switch and back to the relay, as well as supply the switch with a feed to illuminate the symbol ,mate sorry I am going to have to leave it there for now as I have the wife breathing down my neck as we are going to the club for tea,

CHEERS FELLAS CONROD

• 5 years later...

I'm certainly taking in all of this information as I am doing exactly the same thing myself, connecting two spotlights to my 2011 Hilux. 

My battery has the negative side going straight to earth, which to me logically says,.. 'negative/earth system, yet my normal mechanic is telling me (over the phone) that my 2011 Hilux is positive/earth system. 

I'm working on it and looking at trying to find diagrams that actually show positive earth setups......so I can compare the two.

10 hours ago, brickpaver said:

My battery has the negative side going straight to earth, which to me logically says,.. 'negative/earth system, yet my normal mechanic is telling me (over the phone) that my 2011 Hilux is positive/earth system. 

Negative earth.

I don't know what he is smoking.

Maybe the mechanic was getting confused and was thinking about the actual switching for the lights, ie power-switching rather than ground-switching