Product 'Review' Thread

Here is a list of products I have used and my opinion of them. It's not really a review, but just one mans opinion on various product.

Wash:

ArmorAll Wash and Wax A good all round wash and wax for regular use.

Good amount of suds, good slick feel when wiping washing mitt over the car, ok wax feel + ok water sheeting. Good value for money wash

Polyglaze Wash and Wax A poor contender on all fronts.

Good amount of suds, ok feel when wiping washing mitt over the car, poor wax feel + poor water sheet. $17 for 2L is expensive for what it does.

ArmorAll Heavy Duty Wash A good heavy duty cleaner but don't expect much in the way of a deluxe finish.

'Very sudsy, 'soaking' bugs in the wash solution prior to proper wash removes most bugs easily however has some trouble with road tar, good on brake dust. No wax feel + poor water sheeting (though I suspect it wasn't designed to do this)

Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax The ultimate in wash and wax and wallet pain.

Very sudsy, great slick feel when wiping washing mitt over the car, great wax feel + great water sheeting + noticeable shine compared to other washes. Very expensive for weekly washing.

Meguiars NXT Car Wash - A great all round wash at a good price.

A great car wash overall. Very sudsy, great slick feel when wiping washing mitt over the car. Good water sheeting and wax feel (despite it not advertising it) at a reasonable price.

Dodo Juice Born to be Mild: A car wash product similiar to Meguiars NXT but in a handy pint sized bottle.

A pH balanced, wax-friendly car wash that has great suds. Slick feel and is highly concentrated so you only need a few caps to your bucket. Very similar to Meguiars NXT except the bottle is smaller so you don't have to lug around as much.

Chemtech CT-18 heavy duty wash Spray, dry and rinse; but no substitute for manual washing.

Extremely easy to use (dilute, spray on car, let it dry, rinse off), removes most road dirt + grime (good on brake dust), no wax feel or water sheeting, doesn't get all the dirt. Excellent value for money but not a replacement for proper washing; unknown effect on existing wax on vehicle.

Paint prep + correction:

Menzerna PF2500 - Power Finish Light/Light-medium cutting power with a low defect finish and good gloss which makes it a good product to be used as a standalone polish.

When bundled with the Lake CCS Orange pad, this product is very effective against moderate swirling and light/moderate scratches. The polish is a diminishing polish and it is easy to work with and detecting it's 'ready' state is not difficult. It is a thicker liquid so it isn't as prone to slinging as some products. The finish is surprisingly good with a good glossy finish and there is very little in the way of remaining defects; which makes it able to be used as a standalone polish. However, it does lay down a good platform for finer polishing and waxes. Like other Menzerna polishes, it will require the surface to be de-oiled if using other waxes.

Menzerna IP2000: Predecessor to Menzerna's PF2500 this old mule still has plenty of pulling power

Extremely similar on all points to PF2500 except it's probably not suitable as a standalone polish and will need to be finished off using UF5000 or similar polish. Highly recommended nonetheless.

Menzerna UF5000 - Ultimate Finish Very light cutting power with a high gloss finish, perfect for light swirl removal and finishing off more aggressive cuts.

When bundled with a Lake CCS Blue pad, UF5000 is a fantastic polish to remove light swirls and defects left behind from more aggressive polishes. Like all Menzerna polishes, it is a diminishing polish that will need de-oiling if using other waxes and like the PF2500, this is a thicker polish which helps it resist slinging. The glossy finish of UF5000 is fantastic.

Mothers California Gold claybar kit A good value all in one claybar kit.

Comes with 60g more clay than the Meguiars equivalent, claybars are easy to work with and the microfibre towel is the best towel I have used to date. However, if you need an aggressive clay for tougher contaminants; look elsewhere.

Meguiars aggressive detailing clay - For stubborn dirt and contaminants from years gone by, Meguiars aggressive detailing clay is the answer

Designed for more stubborn contaminants, this claybar makes removal of these unwanted nasties with little fuss. It is a little difficult to work with in terms of moulding as it is quite stiff; but this is easily offset by it's ability to remove the dirt with ease. This stuff is usually expensive, but it can be bought from Amazon (able to be shipped to AU) which makes this a must buy (and a great buy).

Meguiars Medium Cut Polish - Promises medium grade defect removals with a high gloss finish but only delivers in defect removal.

When bundled with a Lake CCS Orange cutting pad, this compound impressed in the defect removal area, comparable to the Menzerna PF2500 Power Finish at a fraction of the cost. It's easy to work with and I found it easy to detect when the compound was ready to remove. The biggest 'disappointment' was the lack of gloss in the finish which makes this a non-standalone product. However, the finish would simply need something like their Ultimate Polish to complete the surface.

Meguiars Fine Cut Polish - A light cutting compound good for light swirls/scratches and leaves a good shine to boot.

When used with a Lake CCS Orange cutting pad, this polish does a good job of removing light swirls while leaving a good finish. While the finish is not as glossy at the Menzerna UF5000 it is about 1/2 the price which makes it good value. The surface it leaves behind is good enough to be left as is (if desired) but can be taken to with a lighter polish or sealants + waxes. Like the Medium Cut Polish, the fine cut polish is easy to use and yields good results with the buffer.

Meguiars Ultimate Compound Does what it promises but let down by it's inability to be used as a standalone product.

An easy to use product that removes light swirls/blemishes/oxidation and light scratches. Can be applied by hand and removed with a microfibre cloth but the biggest problem I found with this was even after various applications (pressure, stroke technique etc) it left minor cobwebbing on the finish which required a lighter polish (in my case AutoGlym Super Resin Polish) to leave the finish clean.

Meguiars ScratchX 2.0 An oddly placed product that seems to be superseded by Ultimate Compound.

Slightly easier to use than Ultimate Compound (easier to remove) but otherwise could easily be confused with Ultimate Compound. If it came in a 473ml bottle instead of the smaller tube, I'd recommend this one over Ultimate Compound due to it being somewhat easier to remove . However, I'm sure there is a difference between the ScratchX and UC; I just can't see it.

Paint protection (sealant + glazes):

Mothers Step 2 Sealer and Glaze Excellent sealer and glaze product.

Greatly increased the depth/lustre of the colour of my car while hiding light swirls. Easy to apply and easy to remove; highly recommended.

Menzerna SWPROTECT - Paint Sealant & Wax Seals and protects while adding an extra depth of colour to your paintwork

SWPROTECT is a sealant and wax in one which does a good job of increasing the lustre of your paint while adding the protective layer of wax at the same time. It is like the other Menzerna products except this is a little thinner than the polishes and is prone to slinging if you aren't careful. Definitely worthwhile using.

Poorboys Black Hole glaze Designed for darker cars but this glaze is ordinary at best.

Does some minor filling of light swirls but does not do much in the way of increasing the depth/lustre of the paint. Easy to apply but has the odd problem when removing it, you need to use a damp cloth otherwise there are 'streak' marks which will not go away. Also, the dark colour of the glaze will stain any applicator you use.

Poorboys EX-P sealant - It may do it's job as a sealant but it does not fulfil any of the promises it says on the bottle.

Surface of the car is dull, no improvement of the paint depth/lustre and is incredibly difficult to remove, especially if you leave it from 30-60mins to get the 'extra shine'. On the plus side you can layer it and it smells like coconut. Highly not-recommended.

Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection - Extra gloss, extra protection @ a price.

A great product, increases the depth/lustre of the paint and leaves a very glossy finish plus it can be layered for extra gloss and depth. Very, very easy to apply but can be difficult to remove (a damp cloth may be required). My two issues with this product is that apparently it only works best when bundled with other AutoGlym products (like Apple forcing you to use iTunes etc) and it's a little expensive.

Paint protection (waxes):

Meguiars M26 Hi-Tech yellow paste wax - a solid product offering from Meguiars.

Easy to apply and remove, leaves a very glossy finish and a very slick just waxed feel which manages to last. Excellent water beading and dirt repulsion. Suffers frequent washing with good grace.

Meguiars M26 Hi-Tech yellow liquid wax - An excellent liquid wax but unavailable in Australia.

Very easy to apply and remove and leaves a great gloss and just waxed feel. Unfortunately while the gloss stays, the just waxed feel doesn't last nearly as long as the paste wax. However the water beading and dirt repulsion properties, which are good remains. Biggest problem is that it is not available in Australia and needs to be purchased from the US.

Poorboys Nattys Blue Paste Wax - Another poor product designed for dark cars from Poorboys.

Despite the claims, the wax is so dull it is hard to recognise the car has been waxed. It has virtually no gloss in terms of it's finish and there is almost no just waxed feel at all. Water beading is acceptable and dirt repulsion is ok but it just doesn't seem to last; on the plus side it is easy to apply and remove. I would not recommend this product.

Poorboys Nattys Blue Liquid Wax A liquid version of Natty's Blue but don't let the convenience fool you.

The liquid version of their paste wax, this product is worse than the paste version. There is very little gloss in the finish and it leaves no just waxed feel at all. Very little water beading and due to my ultimate disappointment with this product I cannot comment on longevity. The product is like water so it's very easy to apply but average in terms of removal.

Meguiars Gold Class wax (not the Gold Class Carnauba Plus, this one is similar but EOL) A very good product from Meguiars.

Easy to apply and remove, very good gloss and great just waxed feel which seems to last. Great water beading and dirt repulsion with good longevity but cannot be truly layered due to it containing a very small amount of abrasives. If the Gold Class Plus is the replacement; it should be as good as this old stuff. If you don't want to import the M26 liquid and don't mind this product not capable of being truly layered; this is the stuff to buy.

Meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2.0 - A very good synthetic wax offering from Meguiars.

Very good gloss and just waxed feel (can't comment on longevity however) plus provides good water beading and dirt repulsion. Easy to apply but can be difficult to remove with some sections requiring a damp cloth for full removal.

Meguiars Quick Wax - A disappointing offering from Meguiars.

Easy to apply (can be sprayed on during the drying stage) and remove, but like traditional waxes will punish you with having to wait for it to haze; then having to meticulously buff everything otherwise be rewarded with white streaks on your car. Just waxed feel is ok and water beading is ok but the required work and time needed suggests that it is inappropriately named. They should have just called it Spray Wax.

Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax - The bigger brother to Quick Wax is correctly named in terms of speed and ultimate-ness.

Very easy to apply and easy to remove, ultimate quick wax only needs a quick buff on buff off with a microfibre towel. It leaves a surprisingly good just waxed feel and water beading quality is good. Highly recommend using this between waxing to maintain glossy shine.

Bowden's Own Auto Body Wax - A little on the expensive side but you'll appreciate the little effort required for good results

A great product. Easy to apply and EXTREMELY easy to remove, this was provides a good shine and a good just waxed feel which lasts. It has good water sheeting properties and seems to repel dirt well. After speaking to DJKOR, it may seem that this may be more suited to darker colours as it doesn't seem to have the same 'bling factor' on his lighter car. Another big plus is that this wax can be layered due to having zero-abrasives.

Mothers Step3 Pure Carnauba Liquid Wax - A worthy competitor to M26 Liquid wax and actually available in Australia as well!

This is a great wax. It's easy to apply and remove and leaves a great just waxed feel with a great glossy finish. I can't comment on it's water beading properties + longevity yet, but if it is anything like M26 it will be a winner. It will be interesting to see how good the paste version of this will be as it is priced significantly higher than Meguiars M26 paste wax.

Mothers Spray Wax - Quick and easy to use but even with it's value for money it's still not worth buying

This spray wax is simple to use as it wipes off with little fuss. However the shine it leaves behind is average as is the just waxed feel. Even with the larger bottle (710ml vs 473ml) and a cheaper street price (~$2-3 cheaper), I'd still choose Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax over this.

EazyGleam Silkwax - A synthetic wax blend made for the harsh Australian climate but lacks sufficient depth of shine.

Easy to apply and super easy to remove, EazyGleam Silkwax is a polymer/carnauba/silicone designed for the climate that is Australia. It's water beading properties is good but doesn't have much of a just waxed feel and only performs averagely in terms of paint depth and gloss. However, it's ability to maintain the shine it does provide over long periods is nothing short of amazing. I have used it on my brother's 'spare' car which has not moved since placed there after the waxing. It still has great shine (albeit under the dust) but still beads water after 9 weeks of 24/7 exposure to the elements.

Meguiars Gold Class Plus Carnauba - A worthy sucessor to the original Gold Class

All the properties of the original Gold Class except this wax gives a somewhat 'wetter' look to the paint finish than the original Gold Class. The only downside to this would be it can streak and may require moisture for removal. Given it sells for the same price as the original, the new Gold Class is a worthwhile replacement.

Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Hard Wax (for dark cars) - Fantastic results from such little product; but these results don't come easy or cheaply

Given a sample pot from the Big Man himself, I was delighted to give this stuff a go as reviews looked promising; and it didn't disappoint. A little difficult to work with being a hard wax (though I was told afterwards that warming the pot first is a good idea) the gloss, lustre, 'just waxed' feel (though the just waxed feel doesn't last as long as I hoped it would) and water beading properties of Blue Velvet was outstanding. Longevitity is similar to the Meguiars M26 Paste Wax. While it is more expensive than the usual SuperCheap/Autobarn offerings, Blue Velvet offers good value for money given the great results it provides.

Turtle Wax Hard Shell Wax - ... Go elsewhere. This stuff is awful.

It's easy to apply (as it's like water) and easy to remove but that's the only 2 good things about it. It leaves no waxy feel, no water beading qualities and the 'wax' comes off in flakes which is annoying and gets everywhere. Complete junk.

Paint protection (all in one):

Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax - a disappointing all in one from Mothers that leaves you wanting more.

The cleaner wax does remove light swirls and imperfections from the paint but unfortunately provides a dull finish. Application is average but removal can be tough. The waxed feel is ok much like the water beading but; it just left me wanting more. Longevity and dirt repulsion however is very good. If you're looking for a nice glossy finish look elsewhere.

Autoglym Super Resin Polish - A very good all in one from Autoglym.

Very easy to apply and remove, competent light swirl and contaminant removal, very good glossy finish and very good water beading properties. When paired with the Extra Gloss Protection these 2 form a very good combo however I'd be happy to just use this and be satisfied.

Wheels and Tyres:

Meguiars Hot Rims wheel cleaner - a fair offering from Meguiars but suffers from a generic wheel cleaning fault.

Easy to use (spray, wait, hose), tough on a range of pad dust (Remsa, HPX, HSV and Lexus) but like all wheel cleaners it leaves a dusty film behind which needs to be wiped off.

Mothers Foaming wheel + tyre cleaner - a good offering from Mothers but suffers from a generic wheel cleaning fault.

Easy to use (spray, wait, hose), tough on a range of pad dust (Remsa, HPX, HSV and Lexus) but like all wheel cleaners it leaves a dusty film behind which needs to be wiped off. This can also be used to clean tyres as well, but given the difference in price between this and equivalent Meguiars products, only use this if you want to give your tyres a clean as well.

ArmorAll Wheel Cleaner - if you're looking to not use a wheel brush; look elsewhere.

A pretty ordinary offering from ArmorAll as it needs a brush in order to remove the dust; it simply cannot penetrate. All it has going for it is the price.

Meguiars Hot Shine tyre spray (trigger bottle) - If you want to make a mess, don't use an applicator.

This product boasts easy application with the spray but even with the 2-setting nozzle (wide and narrow spray) it's ineffective and messy. If you don't use an applicator, shine the tyres first as you will have to clean the wheels again to combat overspray. Despite it's claims of 'high gloss shine for weeks', it provides at best moderate shine for a few days in the dry. It provides moderate shine right up until it gets wet; to which it becomes dull. While the aerosol may not be any better in terms of performance, it may be a better option due to ease of application

Australian Export tyre spray: cheap, no-nonsense tyre spray that promises little but delivers.

Probably the best all round tyre shine I have used. It doesn't last for more than a couple of days but provides a moderate amount of shine, easy application (aerosol) and is great value @ $3.49 when not on special.

Poorboys Wheel Sealant - a paste wax for wheels; but if you regularly clean your wheels by hand, don't bother.

Poorboys finally have a product that delivers. Once applied, brake dust easily comes off though the dusty film still remains. For those who don't regularly hand clean the wheels this isn't a bad choice.

ArmorAll tyre foam - an ok cleaner but leaves little in the way of shine.

A little odd placement in this category though as it cleans and shines in one, which means you'd either apply before washing and washing away what little shine there is or applying it to a clean tyre after washing making the cleaning part of this product redundant. However, it is easy to apply and remove (dries 'shiny' and clean), does good job of removing dirt and other substances from a tyre wall; Just don't forget your tyre shine as there isn't much shine at all.

Sonax Extreme Wheel Cleaner - A wheel cleaner that is best used with a brush/mitt or light, fresh dust coats

Slightly more expensive than other wheel cleaners available in similar sizes, this stuff turns purple when coming in contact with brake dust. It makes short work of lighter, fresh coats of dust making it suitable for regular washers (that is, people who was regularly) but it also handles heavy layers of dust with a quick agitation with a brush (or similar). I found it still suffers from the dust layer after washing that other brake cleaners have but to a lesser degree.

Wolf's Chemicals Decon Gel (Brake Duster): Like most other wheel cleaners, leaves me hollow and somewhat disappointed.

This cleaner is very similar to the Sonax wheel cleaner and has all the properties of it (including the purple reaction you get on brake dust) but unfortunately suffers from the dusty residue that gets left behind. A better buy than the sonax as you get 1L for $26.

Megiuars Hot Shine Tyre Foam: Shines yes, cleans - so so

Designed to be a tyre cleaner and shiner in one, it really excels in the shining department but doesn't really clean the tyre very well. The shine however lasts for a fair amount of time (even after rain) and is easy to apply.

Interior:

Meguiars Natural Shine Protectant A natural shine which won't glare your windscreen.

An easy to use product for interior use, just spray and wipe. Leaves a good, non-greasy finish on hard plastics and vinyl without an in your face shine.

ArmorAll Carpet + Upholstery foam cleaner A good spot cleaner but if you need to do large surfaces look elsewhere.

A very easy to use product that is effective for sport cleaning (coffee, yoghurt + other spills) but can be tedious if you need to do an entire seat or carpet.

ArmorAll Protectant (original) Interiors will be protected while you are dubbed Shiny and Greasy McGee.

ArmorAll promises the protection of your interior with this product but the biggest issue for me was the glare from the dash on the windscreen was interfering with my viewing; it was simply too shiny. The product is greasy as hell and even after a spray and wipe; if you touch anything you've treated you get greasy hands (which is awful when you are driving).

SCA Interior Clean & Protect (SuperCheapAuto) A good value interior protectant.

A surprisingly good SCA product which cleans and protects all rubber/vinyl and hard plastic surfaces. It leaves a good, non-greasy finish with a shine that won't hinder your vision. Cheaper than Meguiars Natural Shine, it's a good product for those who can't/won't fork out the extra for a 'brand name' product.

Mothers Leather Conditioner Protects your leather without the greasy feel.

Easy to use and safe on HSV beige and Lexus black leather; this leather conditioner does not leave a greasy finish on the surface. Recommended.

Exterior (other):

Mothers Showtime - Of the two giants, Showtime is king; in terms of performance and high price.

Mothers put paint/shine enhancers in their quick detailer and it definitely shows. It further enhances gloss and colour to your paint's finish while spot cleaning your car. Miles ahead of Meguiars Final Inspection, it's probably not cost effective to use as a day-to-day spray detailer however (or as a spray lube when claying).

Meguiars Final Inspection A good value for money quick detailer.

Part of the Mirror Glaze family, this spray detailer is a good alternative to Mothers Showtime (which is quite expensive). It does exactly what it promises but it doesn't enhance the surface in any way. A great product to use to detail your wheels and brake calipers.

Bowdens Own Body Detail - A quick detailer that yields good results but you need to move fast to use it

Suitable for claying as well as a quick detailer (obviously), this quick detailer is good value for money ($750ml ~ $17). With results similar to Mothers Showtime it enhances the gloss on an already waxed vehicle in addition to it's ability to remove watermarks + dust. The biggest problem I have found is that you need to work quickly to buff it off as it evaporates rapidly when compared to other detailers I have used.

ArmorAll glass cleaner Cleans the glass, but not with ease.

Cheap and cheerful, ArmorAll glass cleaner does clean the glass and is safe on tints. However, it's unusually painful to remove as it has a tendency to streak. I find Meguiars Final Inspection a better product to use on the windows.

Meguiars PlastX Promises much restoration but even this product has it's limits.

Easy to use (buff and remove) PlastX can restore plastic finishes which have been hurt by the sun or general wear and tear. However, for severely oxidised headlights/taillights you will need a dedicated headlight restoration kit.

Mothers Plastic Polish Someone put a Mothers label on PlastX.

Plastic Polish in my view is exactly the same as Meguiars PlastX. It serves a purpose but only up to a point.

Mothers Naturally Black (now called Back-to-Black) Naturally Black/Back-to-Black may work, but not on severely faded blacks plastic.

Naturally black does a fair job on aged rubbers + plastics (e.g – in the engine bay) but items that have been exposed to the sun for long periods of time (e.g – roof racks + bike carrier) did not seem to respond to the product; even after repeated applications.

Meguiars NXT aluminium polish Polishes more than aluminium; at a price.

NXT polish is easy to use, just ensure the surface you are polishing is clean otherwise you will scratch the surface. Leaves a nice shine but realistically it's promise of repelling dirt won't be kept.

AutoGlym Glass Polish - Refresh your tired glass surfaces with AutoGlym.

Easy to apply and remove, this product is much like a light polish for your glass. It removes surface contaminants on the glass leaving a clear, refreshed look.

AutoGlym Fast Glass - The perfect complement to AutoGlym Glass Polish.

For glass surfaces you can't use Glass Polish on, use Fast Glass (tinted windows etc). Spray and wipe, no streaks and incredible cleaning ability. Combined with Glass Polish, your windows will love you.

Product (other):

Aerospace 303 Protectant - Protects but also restores.

I only used this in the engine bay but it removes stubborn watermarks on hosing, plastics and painted finishes. I was amazed at it's ability to make an engine bay look so good.

Bowden's Own Agent Orange - It would seem Agent Orange is as effective on a Vietnamese person's engine bay as it was on the Vietnamese

This stuff is fantastic. Depending on the amount of dirt/grime you have in your car, you may not need to use a brush at all. Tougher stains such as oil spill + dirt accumulation will simply need a light brushing before you rinse. Incredible engine bay cleaning power with very little effort. Add a little bit of elbow grease and you've got a engine bay so clean you would eat off it.

RainX Original Glass Treatment liquid - Works well enough but annoying to apply.

RainX original delivers what it promises but I had a fair bit of trouble applying this stuff without it streaking/hazing. Once applied though, it lasted a fair while however.

RainX Wiper Fluid Additive - A great alternative to RainX Original.

In my opinion this stuff is far better than RainX Original due to how it is 'applied'. Just add the required amount to your windscreen reservoir and you're set. Has the same effects as RainX Original without the fuss.

ArmorAll Windscreen Wash - Squirt, dilute and use; you'll probably lose the bottle before you finish it.

Easy to use, this windscreen wash does an adequate job of cleaning your windscreen. Says not to mix with anything but works with RainX Wiper Fluid with no problem. Given how long it takes to deplete your windscreen washer reservoir; it's likely you'll lose this stuff (or forget you have stuff remaining).

RainX Anti-fog liquid - When driving in conditions that cause foggy windscreens; ensure your demister is working

Promises the reduction of fogging of your windscreen but I saw little evidence of it. In addition to it not working, I found it difficult to apply as it streaked/hazed alot.

Accessories:

Meguiars Supreme Shine microfibre cloth A good towel but loses lushness over time.

The SS towel is a good performing towel for anything from buffing to cleaning to glass cleaning. However, after repeated washes these towels will deteriorate.

Meguiars hand applicator pad A nice sized applicator but unsure about the price.

Perfect for applying wax/polish/other cleaners my only gripe is that they are $2.50 per applicator.

Meguiars Water Magnet microfibre drying towel The name is promising but that's where it ends.

This drying towel was pretty disappointing. I had trouble getting it to absorb fluid and once it did; it was difficult to wring out once it got too wet. I wouldn't recommend this one.

Turtle Wax Step 2 polishing and buffing microfibre towels Not sure about polishing or buffing, these are great for wheels.

I didn't use these to buff/polish waxes off my paint but due to their colours (dark and light blue) I used them for wheel detailing. The dark blue cloth was good for drying the wheel and the light cloth was good to buff off the spray detailer.

Turtle Wax applicator pad (foam) Not for small hands but as good as the Meguiars equivalent.

These applicators are much larger than the Meguiars one but I didn't notice any gains/losses using one of these over the Meguiars ones.

Turtle Wax applicator pad (microfibre, blue) Supposed to save product by preventing sponge absorption but does it by frustrating your attempts to apply product and making you give up.

This pad is essentially their foam applicator wrapped in a blue microfibre surround which is designed to save product by limiting the amount of product being lost through absorption through the foam. Unfortunately, I had trouble applying any product using this applicator so it was destined to a life of nothingness.

Turtle Wax buffing pad (microfibre, white) An alternative to a microfibre buffing towel which fails.

A foam applicator wrapped in a white microfibre surround, this is supposed to be used instead of a microfibre towel to remove wax/product residue. Unfortunately, it only can buff so much before you need to remove the dried residue from the pad; which is where this product fails. It makes a simple task tedious as the applicator needs to be shaken/hit like a piñata which requires too much effort due to the size of the pad.

Turtle Wax microfibre suede wash pad Turtle Wax's attempt to combine 2 types in 1 fails.

A few big problems with this one: it's too large for your hand (and the provided hand-strap doesn't make it easier), it's an odd shape and it does no job well. The microfibre noodled side is too small and is further hindered by having small hands, the other 'rougher' side isn't tough enough for tougher things like bugs.

ArmorAll Wash Mitt Full of some kind of noodles and cleans well.

A good size, this wash mitt is covered in heaps of dirt catching noodles (but I don't know what they are made of and it doesn't say in the product description). Despite the unknown material it does not seem to scratch the paint which doing a good job of picking up the dirt. To be honest, my favourite wash mitt which has survived about 15 months of use and regular car (and front loader) washes.

Meguiars Microfibre Wash Mitt A huge wash mitt made of microfibre goodness which is also it's Achilles Heel.

A huge size, this wash mitt is covered in heaps of medium length strands of microfibre. Does an excellent job of picking up the dirt and doesn't seem to scratch the paint. The biggest problem with this mitt is that it does such a good job of picking up dirt, the 2 bucket method doesn't help when dirt is ingrained in the mitt (a blast with the hose is the only solution, but prolongs the wash time). When not in use, it needs to be stored covered as it will pickup any debris that goes near it.

Mothers microfibre cloth Of the two giants; Mothers is king yet difficult to find.

This was bundled with my Claybar kits and these are the best microfibre cloths I have used. They are great at removing wax/polish residue and have managed to survive multiple washes yet still remain plush. For some reason, the Mothers microfibre cloths are difficult to find.

Mothers brake dust brush Good idea, but doesn't get into all the nooks and crannies.

This brake dust brush is very similar to a SCA brake dust brush I bought with the exception that there are a few more bristles and they are softer. Unfortunately, there still isn't enough so you will leave brake dust behind if you aren't thorough using it.

Viking Microfibre drying towel - A massive drying towel that keeps on drying; but very hard to find.

Easily one of my most favourite accessories I have purchased for cleaning, this drying towel is huge (90*90cm) and can easily dry an entire car without having to be wrung. It is very absorbent and will speed up the drying time of your car immensely. The biggest problem is that it is very hard to find (bought from Amazon, but it is no longer listed).

Meguiars Even Coat applicator - Need an applicator for wax and sealants? Look no further.

Given the apparent 'failure' of the TurtleWax Microfibre applicator I thought I was a little mad giving these a try and it turns out the initial method of application is very important. Using the lessons learned from the RO, I decided to put a swirl of wax on the pad before applying; once the wax is spread on the applicator it is actually a very good pad. There is minimal soakage into the pad and the large size of the pad makes application of wax/sealants quick and easy. The large size (and it's ridigity, that is for a microfibre wrapped pad) can make it a little tricky to use if you have non-dextrous hands.

Aquatouch Ultra Soft Microfibre Cloth (grey) - Ultra soft, plush and removes residue like it's going out of fashion

Bought from Waxit.com.au, these are priced $2 less than a Meguiars Supreme Shine towel and given how well they work; they are underpriced. Suitable for quick detailers/spray waxes + wax removal, the plush fibres make short work of the product which means less passes reducing your chances of swirls. @ 40x40cm it's not the biggest but the density of the fibres makes up for this.

Carrand 25'x36' waffle weave drying towel (CRD40060) - It's no Viking but a low price and good water holding ability makes it hard to pass up.

Much like the Viking drying towel this makes short work of water waiting to be dried of the car. And like the Viking drying towel it needs to be ordered from overseas. This towel would be a winner if it were bigger as the price is very good.

• Like 1

Excellent reading!

Hope you dont mind i added a few items which wernt on your list. hopefully we can get more listings on products people have used! :)

Thanks!!

Wash:

Meguiars Gold Class ShampooGreat shampoo for the paintwork, easy on existing wax layers

Nice and easy to use, good dirt removal and smells great! Would be a good option for those who want a economical wash for weekly washes. Good water sheeting but not quite up to Ultimate Wash and Wax performance

Meguiars Soft Wash ShampooVery Gentle shampoo, average cleaning ability

This wash solution wont harm your wax layer at all, in fact its so gentle that results are average when compared to the likes of Gold Class, Ultimate Wash n Wax etc..

AutoGlym Car body shampooLow suds, but great cleaner

Very low on suds if you follow the dilution instructions, however this does not effect the cleaning ability. Gentle enough on wax layers.

Paint prep + correction:

Meguiars Swirl XGreat for semi regular paint cleaning duties.

If your car is in realitively good condition and you just want to remove haze/light swirls.. this is the product to use from meguiars. easy application, can be used by hand/DA polisher.. would suggest DA polisher fore best results. Uses Meguiars diminishing abrasives so be sure to work into the surface good and well.

Meguiars M205The ultimate finishing polish.

A perfect companion to meguiars M105 or Ultimate compound.. this will remove any marks left over from the more aggressive products and leaves your paint work LSP ready. nice deep shine, easy on and off.. can be used by hand/DA polisher/or Rotary. Bit heavy on the wallet but if used properly, should last you a lonnng time.

Meguiars Fine cut cleaner Old technnology, should probably be put out to pasture

In terms of results, you'd be better off using SwirlX or M205... this product is harder to apply and results are not as good for the given effort required.

Paint protection (sealant + glazes):

Meguiars M21 synthetic Sealant 2.0NXT 2.0 in disguise

Has all the performance and trademarks as NXT 2.0 but different colour (purple). same smell, durability is the same.. In a "mirror glaze" bottle... maybe thats your thing...

Paint protection (waxes):

Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba Plus - Definately an improvement from the original gold class. Good enough though?

Definately deeper reflections, and easier to work with. Durability is slightly better although not a strong point when compared to other waxes. Be careful of over application..

Wheels and Tyres:

Meguiars NXT tyre shine (aerosol)- Super glossy shine, beware of "sling"

Attention grabbing indeed. Your tires will sparkle! but be careful to wipe all excess off tyre and allow enough time for it to dry. otherwise you'll be washing the overspray off the next day. Wish they would make this in a gel. Durability not as good as Hot Shine gel.

Interior:

Meguiars Ultimate Protectant Hardcore protection

Excellent product that will last and last. A little bit goes a long way. Make sure you wipe off all excess to avoid making your dash overly shiney. Great results on black plastic bumpers - keeps them dark black for longer.

Exterior (other):

AutoGlym Rapid Detailer Great alternative to Final Inspection

Simple to use, adds extra slick feeling to paintwork - not a alternative to waxing/protecting.

Product (other):

AutoGlym Fast Glass - Great window cleaner. safe on tint

Virtually no streaking, does it job. Good on car audio equipment too.

Product (other):

AutoGlym Glass Polish - Tough cleaner, great prep for RainX

Make sure you work it in good, and allow to dry to a haze.. otherwise it will streak like a mofo. if applied correctly will make glass nice and smooth and bead water like no tomorrow.

Accessories:

Meguiars Lambswool Wash Mitt Doesnt get much better than this!

Bless those lambs.. awesome sudsing, super soft on paintwork, good size... even i dont use a mitt this soft on myself!! excellent cleaning ability.

I should call you 'Guru' in this area.

Are you a product reviewer as your daily job?

No, just fussy regarding the finish of the car (based on what I can afford). There are plenty of users who are more knowledgeable/picky + wealthy than I. I'll post up a pic of the shelf of cleaning products later.

I'll be adding more products as time goes on; but I'll be adding a few more that I've forgotten to have 'reviewed' (mainly cause they sucked, hence no regular usage thus forgetting it).

^ LOL. Did you put the callipers back onto the shelf.

Yeah, tidied up the garage by about 5% this arvo. Might hang onto the Gen6 calipers a while longer and see if I can bait The Viking into keeping his Gen4 :lol:

We'll see if my brother notices the difference.

More products added:

RainX Original Glass Treatment liquid - Works well enough but annoying to apply.

RainX original delivers what it promises but I had a fair bit of trouble applying this stuff without it streaking/hazing. Once applied though, it lasted a fair while however.

RainX Wiper Fluid Additive - A great alternative to RainX Original.

In my opinion this stuff is far better than RainX Original due to how it is 'applied'. Just add the required amount to your windscreen reservoir and you're set. Has the same effects as RainX Original without the fuss.

ArmorAll Windscreen Wash - Squirt, dilute and use; you'll probably lose the bottle before you finish it.

Easy to use, this windscreen wash does an adequate job of cleaning your windscreen. Says not to mix with anything but works with RainX Wiper Fluid with no problem. Given how long it takes to deplete your windscreen washer reservoir; it's likely you'll lose this stuff (or forget you have stuff remaining).

RainX Anti-fog liquid - When driving in conditions that cause foggy windscreens; ensure your demister is working

Promises the reduction of fogging of your windscreen but I saw little evidence of it. In addition to it not working, I found it difficult to apply as it streaked/hazed alot.

Turtle Wax Hard Shell Wax - ... Go elsewhere. This stuff is awful.

It's easy to apply (as it's like water) and easy to remove but that's the only 2 good things about it. It leaves no waxy feel, no water beading qualities and the 'wax' comes off in flakes which is annoying and gets everywhere. Complete junk.

Tried these just yesterday:

AutoGlym Glass Polish - Refresh your tired glass surfaces with AutoGlym.

Easy to apply and remove, this product is much like a light polish for your glass. It removes surface contaminants on the glass leaving a clear, refreshed look.

AutoGlym Fast Glass - The perfect complement to AutoGlym Glass Polish.

For glass surfaces you can't use Glass Polish on, use Fast Glass (tinted windows etc). Spray and wipe, no streaks and incredible cleaning ability. Combined with Glass Polish, your windows will love you.

Mothers Step3 Pure Carnauba Liquid Wax - A worthy competitor to M26 Liquid wax and actually available in Australia as well!

This is a great wax. It's easy to apply and remove and leaves a great just waxed feel with a great glossy finish. I can't comment on it's water beading properties + longevity yet, but if it is anything like M26 it will be a winner. It will be interesting to see how good the paste version of this will be as it is priced significantly higher than Meguiars M26 paste wax.

Have been slack and yet to comment but I absolutely love this thread :D Agree 100% with all of the above on the products I have tried, if there are any others I can add over time I will but you've basically covered off everything I've used except a couple of new Meg's products. I will put some thought into what I can write about Ultimate Polish ;)

• 2 weeks later...

My 2 Cents to be added tomorrow :)

f2f8fe2c.jpg

Bought the smaller detailing kit the other week (car wash, liquid polish, interior cleaner, wheel cleaner, sponge and two cheesecloths, and it's worked a treat. Best bang-for-buck car care product I've ever bought.

Ive got the sanitizer sitting here too Pete, going to give the LS a blast with it when i get it back, hopefully removes some of the low air con smell... even tho Lexus already sanitized it, ill give it another whirl. Thanks for the input!

Bowden's Own Agent Orange - It would seem Agent Orange is as effective on a Vietnamese person's engine bay as it was on the Vietnamese

This stuff is fantastic. Depending on the amount of dirt/grime you have in your car, you may not need to use a brush at all. Tougher stains such as oil spill + dirt accumulation will simply need a light brushing before you rinse. Incredible engine bay cleaning power with very little effort.

Did my dad's Gen4 Camry, this is 168,000km old and has NEVER had an engine bay clean in it's life. You can see the obvious difference between the two, this clean was done with NO scrubbing/brushing whatsoever. You can see the front-rocker cover is leaking and could have done with a scrub before it was rinsed.

baynoclean.jpg

bayclean.jpg

Bowden's Own Auto Body Wax - A little on the expensive side but you'll appreciate the little effort required for good results

A great product. Easy to apply and EXTREMELY easy to remove, this was provides a good shine and a good just waxed feel which lasts. It has good water sheeting properties and seems to repel dirt well. After speaking to DJKOR, it may seem that this may be more suited to darker colours as it doesn't seem to have the same 'bling factor' on his lighter car. Another big plus is that this wax can be layered due to having zero-abrasives.

Used the Autoglym Glass Polish today, and it works really good. That good, that it now shows all the little chip or nick specs on the outside glass over the past 12 years when the sun hits it. I've will have had the car 12 months in 3 days time.

Nanolex, it really does work. Water just sheets off it. It's so slick I saw paw marks from a possum or cat sliding down my windshield. BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Edited by P_T

• 1 month later...

light-fantastic.jpg

949ph9ey.jpg?1313564287

Dodo Juice Light Fantastic Wax

Gifted to me by the big man, after a torturous day, i decided to give it a try. Thanks Pete :toast:

Application:

Applied with a megs soft sponge pad, a little goes a long way! I like the way the sponge pretty much guides you to where you have and havent covered with the Dodo wax. The sponge pad almost sticks a bit on the freshly washed surface, and gently glides across already waxed areas. Neat. Very surprised how far this product goes. I estimate 4 cars worth from the little "Panel Pot" - 30ml, maybe 5 full waxes.

Removal/buffing:

Allowed to cure for 30-45 minutes. Very easy to remove with continual turning using a Megs gold polishing cloth. Buffs to a brilliant shine. Nil white excess anywhere on the vehicle.

Very Happy :D

Longevity:

Yet to be determined.

Results:

Dodoroof.jpg