Product 'Review' Thread

^^^ This Pete too!! :D I love the depth and wettness that the soft Light Fantastic brings to the party. Far deeper and wetter than the harder Diamond White. Havent had the chance yet, but layering the Light over the Diamond may prove to be interesting.

Did some work on the Camry again, used an array of products to achieve the best results possible without using the more... 'elitist' products:

- Meguiars Aggressive detailing clay

- Meguiars Medium Cut Polish (1 pass)

- Meguiars Fine Cut Polish (1 pass)

- AutoGlym Super Resin Polish (2 passes)

- Menzerna SWPROTECT Sealant/Wax (1 pass)

- Mothers Step 2 Sealer + Glaze (Pre-2012 product; no abrasives) (1 pass)

- Meguiars M26 Liquid Wax (1 pass)

The heavier scratches still remain (however are faint) if you look closely, but the combination of the AutoGlym/SWPROTECT/Mothers Step 2 managed to finely polish the surface and increase the paint depth to such a degree where they are difficult to see.

Another thing was to test the mixing of various products but it has not seemed to affect the appearance/feel of the finish at all.

camboot.jpg

camboot2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

qmxr25ze.jpg?1300406425

Born to be mild - Car Shampoo.

Not only is the name funky, it's a great car wash shampoo that cost next the nix per use!

This awesome smelling shampoo makes great suds and glides across paint work with ease. pH neutral means it does eat away at your wax, It just takes the task of removing the dirt of your car and leaves the rest alone. One cap full (about 5ml) will be enough for ~8ltr bucket of water, so a 250ml bottle can go a long way and is truly awesome value for money.

Again, with all dodo juice stuff I have found the initial outlay for the product maybe a bit more that your super cheap or autobarn brands, but the savings in the long term just cannot compete with the "supermarket" labels.Well worth the investment

• 2 weeks later...

Sonax Extreme Wheel Cleaner - A wheel cleaner that is best used with a brush/mitt or light, fresh dust coats

Slightly more expensive than other wheel cleaners available in similar sizes, this stuff turns purple when coming in contact with brake dust. It makes short work of lighter, fresh coats of dust making it suitable for regular washers (that is, people who was regularly) but it also handles heavy layers of dust with a quick agitation with a brush (or similar). I found it still suffers from the dust layer after washing that other brake cleaners have but to a lesser degree.

Bowdens Own Body Detail - A quick detailer that yields good results but you need to move fast to use it

Suitable for claying as well as a quick detailer (obviously), this quick detailer is good value for money ($750ml ~ $17). With results similar to Mothers Showtime it enhances the gloss on an already waxed vehicle in addition to it's ability to remove watermarks + dust. The biggest problem I have found is that you need to work quickly to buff it off as it evaporates rapidly when compared to other detailers I have used.

Meguiars aggressive detailing clay - For stubborn dirt and contaminants from years gone by, Meguiars aggressive detailing clay is the answer

Designed for more stubborn contaminants, this claybar makes removal of these unwanted nasties with little fuss. It is a little difficult to work with in terms of moulding as it is quite stiff; but this is easily offset by it's ability to remove the dirt with ease. This stuff is usually expensive, but it can be bought from Amazon (able to be shipped to AU) which makes this a must buy (and a great buy).

Meguiars Medium Cut Polish - Promises medium grade defect removals with a high gloss finish but only delivers in defect removal.

When bundled with a Lake CCS Orange cutting pad, this compound impressed in the defect removal area, comparable to the Menzerna PF2500 Power Finish at a fraction of the cost. It's easy to work with and I found it easy to detect when the compound was ready to remove. The biggest 'disappointment' was the lack of gloss in the finish which makes this a non-standalone product. However, the finish would simply need something like their Ultimate Polish to complete the surface.

Meguiars Fine Cut Polish - A light cutting compound good for light swirls/scratches and leaves a good shine to boot.

When used with a Lake CCS Orange cutting pad, this polish does a good job of removing light swirls while leaving a good finish. While the finish is not as glossy at the Menzerna UF5000 it is about 1/2 the price which makes it good value. The surface it leaves behind is good enough to be left as is (if desired) but can be taken to with a lighter polish or sealants + waxes. Like the Medium Cut Polish, the fine cut polish is easy to use and yields good results with the buffer.

EazyGleam Silkwax - A synthetic wax blend made for the harsh Australian climate but lacks sufficient depth of shine.

Easy to apply and super easy to remove, EazyGleam Silkwax is a polymer/carnauba/silicone designed for the climate that is Australia. It's water beading properties is good but doesn't have much of a just waxed feel and only performs averagely in terms of paint depth and gloss. However, it's ability to maintain the shine it does provide over long periods is nothing short of amazing. I have used it on my brother's 'spare' car which has not moved since placed there after the waxing. It still has great shine (albeit under the dust) but still beads water after 9 weeks of 24/7 exposure to the elements.

Meguiars Gold Class Plus Carnauba - A worthy sucessor to the original Gold Class

All the properties of the original Gold Class except this wax gives a somewhat 'wetter' look to the paint finish than the original Gold Class. The only downside to this would be it can streak and may require moisture for removal. Given it sells for the same price as the original, the new Gold Class is a worthwhile replacement.

Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Hard Wax (for dark cars) - Fantastic results from such little product; but these results don't come easy or cheaply

Given a sample pot from the Big Man himself, I was delighted to give this stuff a go as reviews looked promising; and it didn't disappoint. A little difficult to work with being a hard wax (though I was told afterwards that warming the pot first is a good idea) the gloss, lustre, 'just waxed' feel (though the just waxed feel doesn't last as long as I hoped it would) and water beading properties of Blue Velvet was outstanding. Longevitity is similar to the Meguiars M26 Paste Wax. While it is more expensive than the usual SuperCheap/Autobarn offerings, Blue Velvet offers good value for money given the great results it provides.

However, given the results of the Blue Velvet, it makes me wonder what kind of gain (and what the diminishing returns are like) when buying ultra premium wax such as Swissvax.

Mothers Spray Wax - Quick and easy to use but even with it's value for money it's still not worth buying

This spray wax is simple to use as it wipes off with little fuss. However the shine it leaves behind is average as is the just waxed feel. Even with the larger bottle (710ml vs 473ml) and a cheaper street price (~$2-3 cheaper), I'd still choose Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax over this.

Meguiars Even Coat applicator - Need an applicator for wax and sealants? Look no further.

Given the apparent 'failure' of the TurtleWax Microfibre applicator I thought I was a little mad giving these a try and it turns out the initial method of application is very important. Using the lessons learned from the RO, I decided to put a swirl of wax on the pad before applying; once the wax is spread on the applicator it is actually a very good pad. There is minimal soakage into the pad and the large size of the pad makes application of wax/sealants quick and easy. The large size (and it's ridigity, that is for a microfibre wrapped pad) can make it a little tricky to use if you have non-dextrous hands.

Aquatouch Ultra Soft Microfibre Cloth (grey) - Ultra soft, plush and removes residue like it's going out of fashion

Bought from Waxit.com.au, these are priced $2 less than a Meguiars Supreme Shine towel and given how well they work; they are underpriced. Suitable for quick detailers/spray waxes + wax removal, the plush fibres make short work of the product which means less passes reducing your chances of swirls. @ 40x40cm it's not the biggest but the density of the fibres makes up for this.

Carrand 25'x36' waffle weave drying towel (CRD40060) - It's no Viking but a low price and good water holding ability makes it hard to pass up.

Much like the Viking drying towel this makes short work of water waiting to be dried of the car. And like the Viking drying towel it needs to be ordered from overseas. This towel would be a winner if it were bigger as the price is very good.

Dodo_Juice_Supernatural_Finger_Mitt_z.jpg

DODO Juice - Supernatural Finger Mitts

Nicknamed "the shocker" or "a female hygiene product", these handy little foam applicators make light work of applying paste or liquid based waxes. They are super soft and easy to clean. They will extended your waxing time by quite a bit, but who cares if the results are a smooth even distribution of awesome wax!

This product is designed for people who love to mother there cars to bits.......and have time on there hands to spare :)

• Like 1

Naaawwww :huh: you guys with gernies/karchers get way more foam stick than i do with my mains unit :( I wish i didnt screw up and got the adjustable rate version...

I tend to mix NXT wash with the Snow foam for more foam/stick.

It does disolve and soften the nasties tho i find.

Soften these nasties :spiteful:

33953c0a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Back Agian :)

SN-Hybrid.jpg

DODO JUICE SUPERNATURAL HYBRID SEALENT / WAX

Like all dodo juice stuff, this product makes your hard efforts clay / polishing all worth while. A little bit harder to apply and not offering the same depth of colour as the "Soft Waxes", this product is designed to seal the paint work, while still providing a great shine. It should only be applied by hand with a foam applicator or supernatural finger mitt (as shown). Allow the product to bond to paint but don't let it "cake up", otherwise your working too hard for no extra gain!

The longevitity of this product is still unknown to me, but i'm sure it will do a great job.

Well here's my comparison of Armor All Wash and Wax to SCA wash and wax

Both do about the same amount of removing dirt, bugs, grit etc but the Armor All has a better wax smooth feel after wiping down the car.

SCA foams about the same as Armor All. When you smell both soaps the SCA has a soap smell to it but Armor All has a bit of carnauba smell to it. Guess this explains the feel after washing.

Considering the SCA is $13 for 2.5L but it's on special now that a washing mitton comes free with it worth $9, $4 for 2.5L of soap is hard to beat.

Armor All has a specal for $10 for 2L a few times each year but it's a bit more expensive compared to SCA but i think i'll stick to Armor All Wash and Wax.

I will however, buy 2 more bottles of SCA because i want those wash mittons :D

Edited by A Buff Hamster

Hamster,

I'm a little confussed. You have a Foam Lance and you put wash and wax in it? What sort of Lance are you using? How much product (rough guess) do you think you sprayed on the car?

I ask because the autobrite snow foam and lance combo use about 30-60mm of product. I would hate to see people waste product oz "it's cheap"....that is all.

Hi Pete. I'm using the foam lance Gerni provides with their high water pressure machines and it uses less than 50ml and i do spray more than the video www.carcareproducts.com.au provides on the Autobrite.

UPDATE

-----

For some odd reason i washed the car this morning again with SCA before i start my polish and i notice the feel after wiping the car down to be the same as the Armor All soap.

I guess SCA wash and wax soap may be as good as Armor All wash and wax soap but it doesn't smell as good.

• 3 months later...

wow this is a awesome review on how to get that real shine and wet look. Will be looking for something for 08 artic white camry to stand out

• 5 months later...

A couple more. I know I have forgotten a few.

Wolf's Chemicals Decon Gel (Brake Duster): Like most other wheel cleaners, leaves me hollow and somewhat disappointed.

This cleaner is very similar to the Sonax wheel cleaner and has all the properties of it (including the purple reaction you get on brake dust) but unfortunately suffers from the dusty residue that gets left behind. A better buy than the sonax as you get 1L for $26.

Dodo Juice Born to be Mild: A car wash product similiar to Meguiars NXT but in a handy pint sized bottle.

A pH balanced, wax-friendly car wash that has great suds. Slick feel and is highly concentrated so you only need a few caps to your bucket. Very similar to Meguiars NXT except the bottle is smaller so you don't have to lug around as much.

Megiuars Hot Shine Tyre Foam: Shines yes, cleans - so so

Designed to be a tyre cleaner and shiner in one, it really excels in the shining department but doesn't really clean the tyre very well. The shine however lasts for a fair amount of time (even after rain) and is easy to apply.

Menzerna IP2000: Predecessor to Menzerna's PF2500 this old mule still has plenty of pulling power

Extremely similar on all points to PF2500 except it's probably not suitable as a standalone polish and will need to be finished off using UF5000 or similar polish. Highly recommended nonetheless.

As seen below, makes mincemeat of a panel wet-sanded with 2000grit.

steven.jpg

Tidied up the initial post, marginally easier to read and have all products listed to make it easier to find.