HID group buy anyone?

dezzymun

Thanks for that Daryl. So the only way to really know if you have a AC HID kit is if it says on the Ballast itself?

They don't really say. They would if they are up themselves in marketing etc, but otherwise you will be fine. If you read my post again (as I have edited it just then), you will see that most, if not all, are AC anyways.

Thanks for that Daryl. So the only way to really know if you have a AC HID kit is if it says on the Ballast itself?

They don't really say. They would if they are up themselves in marketing etc, but otherwise you will be fine. If you read my post again (as I have edited it just then), you will see that most, if not all, are AC anyways.

you are TOTALLY WRONG

most of the HID kit on the ebay market is DC not AC unless they have stated as DC are at least half cheaper than AC and they still do the job until something happen a bit later. Your call. I have people come back with a DC ballast which is flickering all the time when you point your headlight to a wall or at the back of another car. However, you can actually tell if the ballast is DC sometimes by looking at the starter box. Some really cheap DC ballast do not have the back cover at the back of the starter box. I just threw a pair of DC ballast which I have taken off from a car. I will see if I can find one.

you are TOTALLY WRONG

most of the HID kit on the ebay market is DC not AC unless they have stated as DC are at least half cheaper than AC and they still do the job until something happen a bit later. Your call. I have people come back with a DC ballast which is flickering all the time when you point your headlight to a wall or at the back of another car. However, you can actually tell if the ballast is DC sometimes by looking at the starter box. Some really cheap DC ballast do not have the back cover at the back of the starter box. I just threw a pair of DC ballast which I have taken off from a car. I will see if I can find one.

Well if I am "TOTALLY WRONG", then please try to enlighten me as to how a HID ballast works... on a technical level.

Also, please tell me how you reckon that the igniter can sometimes tell you more about the ballast? If you read my posts, the ignitor is mean to supply DC power for a short moment, so I don't know what else you would be looking for.

Does this pic sum up DC vs AC?

Once again, that's all marketing crap. Even these so called "DC ballasts" features an inverter. The term "ballast" when used for HID lights encompasses the entire assembly which consists of the inverter current regulator and control circuitry. Look, if you don't choose to believe that there are no DC automotive HID ballasts, then fair enough. Get yourself an "AC HID kit" and keep yourself satisfied.

Another marketing strategy that is used is comparing two types of ballasts, one with more components than the other, typically calling the one with more components an "AC Ballast". In fact, the difference is not to do with AC and DC, it's to do with the feedback circuit built in. These "AC Ballasts" typically have digital PWM (pulse width modulation) feedback circuits which, surprise surprise, reduce flicker in the lamp. It has nothing to do with the output being AC which it already is regardless. This in fact is a benefit however, so it is something to consider. Just don't fall for sellers trying to suck you in with useless 'features' that they have.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...