clutch problems

Hi , to all Toyota owners of manual vehicles , I had major problems with a 2006 manual Toyota Prado, it just would not reverse a 2.3t caravan without burning the clutch.

I had the clutch replaced under warranty ( twice) and the third time they blamed me and refused to replace the clutch as they said we do not make a heavy duty clutch , recommending I use a Repco heavy duty clutch which is not covered by warranty.

They blamed me for not reversing the van using 4wd low range . I am the vice president of a local large 4wd club and any person with the slightest knowledge of 4wd will tell you , one cant reverse a caravan into a van parking spot using low range the vehicle is impossible too steer whilst reversing a van at 70 degrees .

Bascially the clutch is too weak and the gearing on reverse is too fast and you have to ride the clutch when reversing a van ( henceforth the clutch burns)

I solved the problem I got rid of the manual and have an automatic prado ( no problems at all reversing a van )

On my recent trip up north to Cape York, I had 4 members of our 4wd club, and one vehicle was a 2009 Toyota Hilux manual . On driving up a moderate steep hill the driver went from 2nd to 1st gear and the clutch blew smoke like the car was on fire , and really smelt bad . He has returned to Brisbane to have the clutch replaced under warrant he hopes ( oh towing nothing we all were camping no vans or trailers in tow)

I have had numerous people tell me the same story Toyota Hilux clutches are a problem ( one is a cousin of mine who is a Toyota service manager ) He said Toyota will not admit the problem .

So I am building up a case for a class action against Toyota and I need all owners of manual Toyota who have had clutch problems to jump on board ( remeber 6 people in the USA died because Toyota would not admit they had a problem with the cruise controls on the Prius) not that ours is life threating , only very expensive and the toyota dealers just bull**** thier way , blaming the driver ..

c

i

• Like 1

This is really interesting. I am not a 4x4'er but I feel your frustration. Never having owned one I speak with minimal experience in such tings but I was wondering if the freewheeling hubs can be switched off while reversing. I remember having to get out in the middle of a creek for my boss to turn the disk in the hubs to activate the front wheel drive.

Would disengaging them help if it were possible?

This is really interesting. I am not a 4x4'er but I feel your frustration. Never having owned one I speak with minimal experience in such tings but I was wondering if the freewheeling hubs can be switched off while reversing. I remember having to get out in the middle of a creek for my boss to turn the disk in the hubs to activate the front wheel drive.

Would disengaging them help if it were possible?

Yeah that was locking the diff or something my mate has the same thing but im pretty sure all the new models, Do that automatically.

perhaps the mechanics / electrics to engage this automatically are faulty? Surely Toyota won't get the ****s if you take it to another mechanic for a second opinion and get written proof if there is something wrong? If ur mounting a case against them then getting all the information and evidence you can would be in your best interests...

• 1 year later...

I have a 2008 Diesel prado manual. The clutch was replaced by Toyota under warranty at 58,000 kms due to shudder. The new clutch has now gone ( Slipping on accelaration ) at 112,000 kms, due to the poorly designed ratios in first and reverse gears. It is impossible to back a heavy trailer without using low range. I have yet to contact toyota about the problem, but i will most likely have to get a heavy duty clutch from somewhere, or just buy a decently designed vehicle like a Pajero.

Ian

• 1 year later...

I have a 2012 hi-lux, the clutch went at 28k backing a small trailer up a small incline. the Toyota mechanic told me it was a known problem but Toyota management denied it. i have since found many people on the net with the same issue.

The new clutch looks like its going the same way. Gutted.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a 2008 Toyota Prado Diesel, I was great to see what others had written about their experience with slipping clutches after reversing. I had the same issue on the weekend reversing an 8 X 6 trailer up a small incline the clutch began to smoke and now the clutch is slipping badly. I am very disappointed in this and knowing that Toyota know about the issue and do nothing about it is ridiculous. I heard that there is a class action suit going on against Toyota regarding this issue at present , can anyone enlighten me on how this is progressing and how I can get involved and hopefully support a lot of others in the same boat and get Toyota to admit fault and liability on their part. In the field of work I am in I have access to many solicitors and legal firms which may be able to help cement the issue If nothing is progressing.

Look forward to hearing feedback ~ Shane

• 4 years later...

Can I join this? I am onto my third clutch in a 2007 prado. And it always happens in reverse! Boat or trailer it doesn’t matter. It burns if there is any uphill! Even minor!

gonna get another but what is my options for a 7speed in a heavy duty? I don’t think there is one. Help!!!!!!

Edited by Rene9ade
More info