Engine won't start?

.gorgz

Hi Guys,

Friend of mine owns a 2nd gen MR2 W20, it's the model with the 3S-GTE. (I think it's a 3S-GTE, either that or a 3S-GE)

The engine seems to be cranking but it won't seem to crack over till it starts?

I'm going to head down and have a look tonight, but I've kind of ruled it out to these things:

Battery, not enough voltage which can all probably sorted out by a VAT machine

Fuel System, the fuel might not be reaching the cylinders possibly because of lack of pressure

Timing, Could be the reason why the engine isn't rolling over

Ignition/Spark, possibility of one of the spark plugs not firing properly

And/or Compression.

I don't really know whether I'm missing anything here. He recently installed a head unit as well, and the problem to me sounds electrical because the engine is cranking so I don't think it could possibly be mechanical.

Any help provided is as always much appreciated guys.

Thanks

Edited by .gorgz

Hi Guys,

Friend of mine owns a 2nd gen MR2 W20, it's the model with the 3GS-TE. (I think it's a 3GS-TE, either that or a 3GS-E)

Either 3S-GE (non-turbo) or 3S-GTE (turbo) :P

Hi Guys,

Friend of mine owns a 2nd gen MR2 W20, it's the model with the 3GS-TE. (I think it's a 3GS-TE, either that or a 3GS-E)

Either 3S-GE or 3S-GTE :P

Thanks for the correction... he's recently installed a sound system as well, just wondering whether this could have anything to do with it, I know that it probably doesn't, but I had a similar problem with my 4th gen prelude where I had to disconnect the alarm to get it started, any ideas guys?

edit, haha! 3GS, powered by iphone :lol:

Edited by .gorgz

If the starter motor is turning over but the engine isn't firing, then it is unlikely to be battery or starter related.

Engines need 3 main things in the right quantities to fire

1) Air

2) Fuel

3) Spark + timing

This would be the order in which I would try things

1) Jump start - if this works, then the battery is most likely defective and not supplying enough power to the starter motor (unlikely cause unless the starter is sounding weak)

2) Clutch start (if it is manual) - this will rule out any fuel/air/spark problems and basically narrow it down to battery or starter.

3) Check battery terminals and ground wiring - poor connections can limit the amount of power being supplied to the starter

4) Check for ECU error codes

5) Check for spark + fuel - pull a spark plug and test the plug against the head to see if you are getting spark. If not, then there is a problem in the distributor, coil or leads. Check timing with a timing light, although this won't be super accurate during cranking

6) Check for fuel - check that the fuel pump is priming the engine, and that the injectors are operating (they "tick")

• Like 1

Thanks for the help guys, rocked up last night and we had just connected the battery and the thing started?

No idea why, or what was wrong with it initially but it's working now.

However, there was a faint burning smell after we had turn it off, smelt a little like oil, but I think this could be because the car hasn't been started nor driven for a few weeks

• 2 weeks later...

if something smells like it is burning, i'd suggest getting under the car and having a really good look around, check valve cover, cam cover, oil return line all areas that can leak.

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the help guys, rocked up last night and we had just connected the battery and the thing started?

No idea why, or what was wrong with it initially but it's working now.

However, there was a faint burning smell after we had turn it off, smelt a little like oil, but I think this could be because the car hasn't been started nor driven for a few weeks

Surely you have an electrical problem, the cause: well they may be like a million causes (with electrical problems is really hard to know) but I am quite sure it has to be the sound system installation interfering with the car starting system. The most common cause are failing relays or they didn't installed properly the grounds. I think you should get your electrical system checked first!

Good Luck!