Headlight globes

firezuki

I need to replace a low-beam headlight globe on my '07 Presara. My book tells me it should be a D4S H11 globe.

Toyota tell me it's nearly $400! This seems like a ripoff.

Does anyone know where I can get something a lot cheaper?

Also, the globe I have keeps going out. If I switch off and then back on, it comes on again.

Does this sound like the globe, or something else? A Toyota dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong with the wiring etc.

Would a globe do this if it was on the way out? Seems a bit strange to me.

(oooh snap! Thomas beat me too it by a minute!!)

Too slow.

Also, if and when you do replace the globes on your own, would you be able take some pictures, and maybe write up a guide, thanks.

You may also be interested in Garax 6000K D4S, which would be whiter in colour.

I had both of my 07 presara low beam bulbs replaced under warranty. A bit over 14 months ago, 2 months before the warranty ran out.

There was a faulty batch (toyota service guys words, not mine) which developed microscopic cracks which when the lamp heated up would allow then to open slightly and the gas would leak. This would create a pressure drop in the globe. Remember these aren't filament globes but are an arc type globe working under high pressure.

This would cause the lamp to go out and if you turned them off then back on they would work for an period of time before going out again.

Thanks to the use of my mobile as a video camera I captured this problem and showed it to the Toyota dealer and they had to believe what they saw, there is no way you can make this happen at will. Although at some stage there will be more failures occurring until complete failure.

The local Toyota outlet replaced both as there was a "service" alert out about the issue. Also happened big time in the states.

At the time I queried the price and was told $600+ for a globe, I queried how much a whole light assembly was but didn't get an answer.

I know of another presara in town that had the same issue and got them replaced under warranty.

Edited by fuel miser

Interesting Fuel Miser. Unfortunately, my car is out of warranty. But it sounds exactly like the problem I'm having.

Big thanks to u54mot. Went to that link and Toyota confirmed they are the correct type. A million thanks. I owe you a beer!

Bloody good club this.

• 1 month later...

Can someone clarify why there is such a big price difference?

I have a '07 Presara and it seems the right low beam globe is not working. I've established I need a D4S globe and I checked with Supercheap Auto and Repco after work today and they didn't stock it. I haven't even looked into instructions on how to actually change the globe yet but the lighting unit looks like Fort Knox!

What I don't understand is the huge difference in globe prices (assuming that's all I need to replace)

The link to 'EBAY: D4S Toshiba OEM Bulbs ' showed the globes as about $35

The link to 'Garax 6000K D4S,' showed the globes at $890!! and

Toyota was quoting $600

I guess for me, all I want to do is have 2 low beam lights that work so I don't get pulled over by the cops at night. I'm hoping once I get the globes and find the instructions, things should be easy as...well...changing a light bulb but can anyone explain why the bulbs vary from $35 to $890???

Toyota was quoting $600

You'll find that the price for that listing; Garax is a misprint. It is supposed to be $89.95.

Garax D4S 6000K - USD$89.95

Nokya D4S 6000K - USD$99.95

Philips D4S 4300K - USD$139.95

Osram/Sylvania D4S 4300K - USD $144.99

MTEC D4S 6000K -USD$99.95

There seems to be no more listings for the Toshiba globes anymore (which are the current bulbs Toyota are using)

Edit: There is one listing for Toshiba D4S 4300K

Edited by u54mot

Toyota was quoting $600

You'll find that the price for that listing; Garax is a misprint. It is supposed to be $89.95.

Garax D4S 6000K - USD$89.95

Nokya D4S 6000K - USD$99.95

Philips D4S 4300K - USD$139.95

Osram/Sylvania D4S 4300K - USD $144.99

MTEC D4S 6000K -USD$99.95

There seems to be no more listings for the Toshiba globes anymore (which are the current bulbs Toyota are using)

Edit: There is one listing for Toshiba D4S 4300K

Thanks for that extra information, it seems the Toyota quotes as mentioned above ($400 and $600) must include fitting then? I've had a quick look through the workshop instruction manuals for changing the lights and it looks as though you'd need to dismantle quite a few things to get to the globe.

I'll give Toyota a call tomorrow to get a quote on just the globe and the globe with fitting. Even the most expensive globe quoted above is hundreds cheaper then what Toyota advised firezuki and fuel miser.

• 3 weeks later...

How much light is lost going from 4300k to 6000k ?

I heard it's like 25%, is that really true?

4300k HID globes will be warmer white, standard incandescent globes are about 3400k where as 6000k will show a blue/white.

If you ask me I would not fit anything over 5000K unless you are fitting it for the bling factor only.

4300k will actually be brighter than 6000k, as the globe gets whiter it diminishes in actual light output also 6000k will not reflect off the black road surface very well and you could get annoyed from it over reflecting from reflective signage.

Just out of interest underground miners do not use LED lights even though they use much less power and will only use filament style lighting as LED is too white and cuts down their visual depth perception. Another thing to think about is the whiter the light the smaller your pupils will open, with your pupils contracted you will lose sight of darker objects not directly lit by your headlights.

Ever sit around a campfire an night, you can be looking strait into that warm fire light then turn away any your night vision is hardly affected or will return quite quickly, that's because your pupils are less contracted due to the warm fire light. Once again its about our eye sight development over several hundreds of years sitting around camp fires.

Taken form Wikipedia:

1,700 K Match flame

2,700–3,300 K Incandescent light bulb

4,100–4,150 K Moonlight

5,000 K Horizon daylight

5,500–6,000 K Vertical daylight, electronic flash

So how many of you think the colour of a camera flash is nice 6000k? It tends to be cold and flat. For me I would think moonlight colour temperature would be idea for night driving. We are talking about night vision not day vision, our eyes have developed naturally to use moonlight to its best ability so why not use our eyes as they have been designed? 4300k all the way ;)

Edited by GShadow

• 4 months later...

Probably should have got back with what happened. I went to the Ebay site given to me by U54mot and purchased two globes at $20 each. With $19 shipping, I got two globes to my front door for $59. Not bad considering Toyota quoted me $400 for one!

They fitted it for $72 but when my wife went to pick up the car they said they had made a mistake and it was double that.

She said "your mistake, tough, here is the $72 - take it or leave it." They took it.

Thanks for the great advice guys.

Hahaha, sounds like toyota up to old tricks trying to skim more money from the customer...

I had same thing when they skimmed my rotors ( all 4 )

They told me it was around $80.... When i got the car back they told me it was $230, I said that bloke there told me it was only $80, in the end thats all i paid haha :clap:

Slightly related but, now I can appreciate all the money I spent on upgrading to better headlamp bulbs. I asked in the Angel Eyes Headlight thread about the High beam in Aurions and you all told me how great it was, mine goes in for 2 brand new headlight assemblies today (13th March), under warranty since the original ones were faulty and put together wrong at the factory. High beam was good if you are looking for koalas, it actually lit up the tops of the power poles as I drove down a dark streets. If not for you guys I would have just thought the high beam was rubbish in Aurions, but thanks for all your input or I would have never known to get toyota to check them out and now replace them. Looking forward to long hauls on the highway now, wish I had found this site and you guys before I drove from North Queensland to Melbourne and back. Would have made much better time on the trip with night driving being so slow, too many roos for me to open her up at night cause the high beam was that bad. With the new headlamps and my upgraded bulbs hopefully night will become day. Thanks for all your support and hope I can contribute back to the site. :toast::clap:

• Like 1

Had my headlamps replaced today, the adjustment screw was faulty and they were stuffed but toyota told me I had the wrong bulbs in the high beam, the manual said HIR1s which I have learnt are also called 9011. A guy from Autobarn looked up what upgrade I would need and the rest was Philips so I went the same with high beam. I put in the X-tremePower bulbs, the ones with +80% light and a claimed 25m longer beam. The guy who looked them up said my Aurion takes 9005s or HB3s. After some research tonight it seems the 9005 upgrade is to the 9011s and I even found a diagram of how to modify 9011s to fit a 9005 holder. Anyway they left the high beams out and I have put back in the original 2011s which seem very white next to the Phillips Blue Vision low beam and now the high beam is fantastic. I can't find an upgrade for the HIR1/9011 original bulbs from Philips or Toshiba. I am happy with the original ones now but I am wondering if I can modify the X-tremePower 9005s to fit properly into my headlamps because of the claims of more light and a longer beam. Don't want to do the HID conversion. Any ideas or recommendations someone could give me?

So you want to replace the H1R1 bulbs? I can't really see a reason to do so though. In my experience, the H1R1 globe is highly efficient for the bulb that it is and is brighter than a bulb of similar wattage. You'd be better off sticking to the same type, but if you wanted an even higher output, my only recommendation after this would be 4,300k 55W HID's.

Yeah DJKOR, I was thinking of replacing them but only if I could upgrade cause they are very bright and for factory bulbs they are white and no yellow tinge. I was just wondering if there was an upgrade but since I can't find one outside of HIDs I will stick with them. As I said if their was an upgrade to the 80% more light and 25m longer beam on the Xtreme bulbs they would be out of this world with how good the HIR1s are now. Because the headlights have been faulty from new I have never been able to see just how good the high beam was, the low beam is much better now to, it shines further infront of the car with a wider beam, before they weren't much better than the fog lamps. Toyota gave me the stuff around yesterday, car was booked in in the mornings and suppose to be finished at 2pm, they missed the job card in the intray and called me at 1pm saying they would need the car till 4 to get the new headlamps in. I asked on pickup how they were going to compensate me for the inconvienience and me not having a car all day. I asked for a genuine first aid kit worth around $28 bucks, they said no yesterday but they called this morning and are going to drop one in this arvo for me. I have also asked them cause the 9005s would not fit properly and they left them out how did they adjust the headlamps after they fitted them, the service guy is checking what they did and if they came pre-set from the factory but they looked pretty good last night just in the driveway, haven't had them out on the road a night yet though.

• 10 months later...

Hey all.

I would like to change my headlights to a white globe, opposed to the standard yellow globe, but after reading this thread, it may be more expensive than I thought.

I took a photo of my headlights, can anyone tell me if I will need the HID globes, or if I need the H11 globes?

20130115_135940_zpsa8b1cee3.jpg

Edited by adizz131

• 2 months later...