Volvo xc90 vs Toyota Kluger

boggo

Hi All,

I am in the market for a car – a seven seater.

I have test driven both the toyota kluger and volvo xc90 and like them both. i also have friends with both who say they think they are great.

My Budget is 40-50K and i am thinking a second hand one is the way to go as i don't like the big depriciation hit you get from brand new.

Around this price i have found a:

2010 kluger (kx-s model -FWD) done 15 000 Km and is $43000

2008 volvo – d5 model done 60 000Km and is $45000

question is – which one should i go for... a bit older volvo which starting price is much higher, or newer toyota??

cheers

I personally would go for the Toyota after owning a Volvo S60...

The Volvo cost us a lot of money on repairs and spare parts over the years as something always seems to break.

Space wise, Kluger have more space within the car...

Trade in values for Volvos seem to be bugger all.

Hope this helps. ^_^

The Volvo is much nicer inside the vehicle than the Kluger. It just feels like a quality product, and also drives and handles much better than the Toyota. However, servicing costs of the Volvo are astronomical, and some have had major issues with their transmissions. Users have also reported loud clunks at the front of the vehicle when going over small humps, but the fix for that was relatively simple replacement front subframe rear mountings.

The Kluger has its problems as well, with pre-mid-2008 models having issues with their oil-line rupturing, and recent Toyotas, inluding the Kluger, having clunking in their steering wheel during low speed sterring due to the intermediate shaft in the steering column becoming loose due to the not being enough grease in the joint.

If you're considering the Kluger, may I suggest that you pay more, and get yourself the Grande model. It has a lot more goodies (sat nav, rear DVD player, eletrochromatic rear view mirror, smart entry, push button start, sunroof, automatic headlights, etc) but for me, the biggest revelation has been just how much I use the remote release power tailgate, especially when my hands are full. It's also handy to be able to remain in the vehicle and open the tailgate so that the little ones can retrieve their gear from the back... although I can't remember if the KX-S also has this feature(?)