Aurion 'Pull Left' Issue Explained

Jacob12

Hi all,

After many times to different suspension places / mechanics and a lot of wasted $$$ I finally have a report that explains why the Aurion by itself pulls left which is unable to be rectified with a simple wheel alignment.

Below are the results:

_______________RH SIDE:______LH SIDE:

Caster:____________3___________2.5

Camber:__________ 1.4___________1

The mechanic I took the car to tried to explain it as if the suspension geometry from factory is set up for a LHD car (whether or not this is true is another thing). Because of the camber of the road, the suspension of every car is set up to counter this slightly, so the cars don't pull left. With the Aurion however its as if the suspension is setup in a way so that instead of countering the effects of the camber in the road, it increases it.

Fortunately of course there are things that can be done to fix the issue. Fulcrum/Superpro sells a suspension bushing kit you can buy so that this can be adjusted out of the suspension which supposedly fixes the problem. LINK. I just rang up the nearest distributor to me and they sell the kit for $235.50.

Just thought I'd share this info with you guys anyway, hope it answers the question for somebody.

Edited by Jacob12

Hi Jacob12,

Could you please advise if you have been able to fix this issue and where have to taken it to do so. I also have road noise from the factory fitted tyres - Michelin MXV8, have you come accross the same issue with yourself or anyone else?

Thanks,

Gazza

Hi Jacob12,

Could you please advise if you have been able to fix this issue and where have to taken it to do so. I also have road noise from the factory fitted tyres - Michelin MXV8, have you come accross the same issue with yourself or anyone else?

Thanks,

Gazza

Most people (if not all who have tried) have been able to correct the pulling left issue with a set of the SuperPro Offset (or Double Offset) bush kits.

If you don't want SuperPro, Whiteline and Nolathane also make the bush kits as well.

Hi Jacob12,It always makes me laugh to hear people talk about how every thing on the Aurion is set up for overseas.For Christ sake the car is Australian,it was designed in AUST, (ALTONA VIC ),it was made in AUST. :whistling:

Mate I dont know where you live in NSW but if you are anywhere near NEWCASTLE give Michael and Michelle Ansen a buzz as he is the one who done the alignment on our ZR6 each time we had the steering rack replaced by Toyota,and I can swear on my mothers head that after he finished, all done by 4 wheel computer readout/setup the car tracks as straight as a dye,no pulling left or right,and you get the before and after results printed out to veiw and to keep with your log books for future reference.If its too far for you I have enclosed their #.Give em a buzz. and talk to him

ANSENS TYRE AND AUTO

PHONE # 0249430922

ADDRESS; 7-18 Oakdale rd Gateshead 2290

but honestly mate it has nothing to do with being setup for LHD versions

And yes GAZZA those Michelins might offer longevity and road holding but they are a noisy bugger of a tyre :unsure:

CHEERS CONROD

Thanks,

Gazza

Hey mate,

I'm currently looking into getting the issue fixed. As per other posts there is a Fulcrum/Superpro kit that has been claimed to fix the issue. You can find that here: http://www.superpro.com.au/find-superpro-parts-for-my-vehicle/part?id=SPF2904K. I just rang up the nearest distributor to me and they quoted me $235.50 for the kit. So not too expensive IMO.

If you take your car to any reputable suspension place they should be able to fit them no worries. I know of a few around my area but I doubt that will help you...

As for the issue with tyre road noise by the time I got my car the tyres were due to be replaced, I can comment now and there is very little road noise running Yokohoma S.Drive's.

Hi Jacob12,It always makes me laugh to hear people talk about how every thing on the Aurion is set up for overseas.For Christ sake the car is Australian,it was designed in AUST, (ALTONA VIC ),it was made in AUST. :whistling:

Haha yes I'm aware of that. When my mechanic said that I thought about sharing that info with him but didn't think it'd be useful :P. I only wrote that in the first post to try and explain 'what' the issue is if you know what I mean.

Mate I dont know where you live in NSW but if you are anywhere near NEWCASTLE give Michael and Michelle Ansen a buzz as he is the one who done the alignment on our ZR6 each time we had the steering rack replaced by Toyota,and I can swear on my mothers head that after he finished, all done by 4 wheel computer readout/setup the car tracks as straight as a dye,no pulling left or right,and you get the before and after results printed out to veiw and to keep with your log books for future reference.If its too far for you I have enclosed their #.Give em a buzz. and talk to him

ANSENS TYRE AND AUTO

PHONE # 0249430922

ADDRESS; 7-18 Oakdale rd Gateshead 2290

but honestly mate it has nothing to do with being setup for LHD versions

And yes GAZZA those Michelins might offer longevity and road holding but they are a noisy bugger of a tyre :unsure:

CHEERS CONROD

I actually work in Lambton mate so just down the road from Gateshead! Might give those guys a go if I end up going ahead with it.

I used to take my car to Bowers Suspension in Merewether. Back a year or so ago I had a Supra and they fully redid the suspension, new urethane bushes all round, new shocks etc and they did a fantastic job. But more lately I took my Aurion there for a wheel alignment (to try and get rid of this pesky left pull :P) and they did a pretty shoddy job. When my mechanic checked it out he said they alignment was way off. The toe in on one of the rear wheels was 8mm off! Maybe it was just a bad staff member there I dunno :P I didn't approach them for a refund just took it on the chin.

You do realise that ~2/3rds of the Camrys and Aurions made at Altona are LHD and exported overseas, mostly to the Middle East......

You do realise that ~2/3rds of the Camrys and Aurions made at Altona are LHD and exported overseas, mostly to the Middle East......

So maybe my mechanic was right after all haha.

So maybe my mechanic was right after all haha.

Possibly, but Toyota always brag on about how the cars sold here are tuned for Australian conditions, so I'd be very surprised if they went to that extent but forgot to set the car up for RHD from the factory....

• 1 month later...

heres the casor bush kit. there are two kits,

SPF2904K bush kit for 'severe pull to left'

has two offset bushes, adds castor passenger side and removes castor drivers side

SPF2903K bush kit for 'slight pull to left'

has one offset and one std bush, adds castor passenger side and keeps drivers side OEM

i bought the slight pull kit.. cost $159.47

hope this helps..

Pics

IMG_2931.jpg

IMG_2932-1.jpg

Edited by cruiseh

has two offset bushes, adds castor passenger side and removes castor drivers side

has one offset and one std bush, adds castor passenger side and keeps drivers side OEM

hope this helps..

Pics

IMG_2931.jpg

IMG_2932-1.jpg

Thats a good price! Thanks for contributing the info.

Have you noticed the car is any better or haven't had a chance to have them installed yet?

Edited by Jacob12

I don't take my hands off the wheel, so I don't experience this effect. I don't understand why it's an issue really. Does it lead to mechanical damage eventually?

Edited by boxerboy

hope this helps..

Pics

IMG_2931.jpg

IMG_2932-1.jpg

Thats a good price! Thanks for contributing the info.

Have you noticed the car is any better or haven't had a chance to have them installed yet?

Not installed yet. Ill post up results when done, my mates shop is closed all next week, so likely will be a bit after that..

I don't take my hands off the wheel, so I don't experience this effect. I don't understand why it's an issue really. Does it lead to mechanical damage eventually?

It's an issue because you have to force the car straight buy constantly holding the wheel slightly right of centre. I don't think it's a major problem, just as a bit of an annoyance to some of us.

Not installed yet. Ill post up results when done, my mates shop is closed all next week, so likely will be a bit after that..

Awesome make keep us posted :)

It's an issue because you have to force the car straight buy constantly holding the wheel slightly right of centre. I don't think it's a major problem, just as a bit of an annoyance to some of us.

Exactly as above, its not a major issue just an annoyance. Plus because I always have to have my steering wheel slightly turned right I can't read the LH indicator stalk because the spoke gets in the way which can get annoying. On a Sportivo 3 spoke wheel.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

New to Aurions. Just reading comments about everyone buying parts to fix the problem.

Shouldn't this be covered by Toyota Warranty?

Would like to know as have also noticed the "left pull"

thanks

Despite the fact that almost everybody has this issue, Toyota don't recognise it as a warranty claim. You might be able to convince your dealer to fix it for you anyway, but good luck with that.

fantastic write-up, and yes I'm sick and tired of car pulling to the left. My question is in regards to the "severe" and "slight" variants of the bush kit. How do i know which one to get? Also does anyone in Melbourne know where i can goto who has fixed/installed these kits?

Im not sure how youd quantify severe vs slight, other than seeing how much variance there is in the castor during alignment. if half a degree difference side to side, get the 'slight'kit, or if 1 degree of more, get the 'severe'kit.

having said that, i got the slight as the pull is moderate in my opinion, but it is definately worse since toyota did the alignment (pre buying bushes).

im lazy. currently all my times being taken tiling my house so still havent fitted the bushes yet.. sorry

It'd be great if we could get 1 or 2 more people to post up alignment specs like in the first post just to get a second opinion on the specs. Just to put to bed once and for all how slight or severe it is off, hence what kit needs to be bought.

It'd be great if we could get 1 or 2 more people to post up alignment specs like in the first post just to get a second opinion on the specs. Just to put to bed once and for all how slight or severe it is off, hence what kit needs to be bought.

Had you have searched, you would have found one thread which clearly states something you may find in the thread:

Had you have searched, you would have found one thread which clearly states something you may find in the thread:

http://au.toyotaowne...cs/page__st__30

http://au.toyotaowne...cs/page__st__45

Interesting, the caster specs posted by David the Viking are quite different to mine, although the camber specs are very similar.

I wonder if this will be looked at at all when Toyota releases the 50 series Aurion?

Interesting, the caster specs posted by David the Viking are quite different to mine, although the camber specs are very similar.

I wonder if this will be looked at at all when Toyota releases the 50 series Aurion?

"When"? Have you been living under a rock?

I daresay being its all new bits in 50 series (isn't it?), this issue wouldn't/shouldn't carry over.

"When"? Have you been living under a rock?

I daresay being its all new bits in 50 series (isn't it?), this issue wouldn't/shouldn't carry over.

Haha I actually saw 2 Sportivos on the weekend. Yeah, imma stick with my 40 series...