Rav4 2AD-FTV Turbo Diesel Excessive Oil Consumption

GT1978

Jennifer,

I was hoping for a while there with your new manager, you were going to get some sensible answers. They're definitely trying to fob you off. I'm wondering if you are losing oil at a greater rate than the rest of us is because you're doing long drives? I'm just motoring around town but when I drove to Brisbane the oil consumption increased. I've got about 800klm to go before my 20,000klm service. My oil is almost down to the bottom marker (it was filled at the around the 15,000klm mark) so it will be interesting what they say about the issue. I'm just not sure if I want them to pull the engine down to do a dodgy fix.

I think they're guessing and no one is really serious about fixing the problem. They're just hoping we'll go away.

Talbit

Jennifer,

In your posts you use the term "ran out of oil". By this do you mean the oil light comes on or that it gets down to the bottom mark?

Talbit.

Edited by Talbit

Is it possible there might be a Facebook page on this subject. I hate Facebook but it might be worth looking into.

Talbit

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so I had the 20,000klm service last Tuesday and they put in all synthentic oil. We'll see what difference it makes.

Talbit

I've been on the synthetic oil for a while now it does not work. My rav goes in Monday to have the engine pulled out and investigated so I'll update you all after they do this. Toyota won't commit to any $$ until they know what's wrong with it.

Thanks for the update. I'm a bit worried about letting them mess around with rebuilds!

My dealer has acknowledged there is an issue but hasn't offered any solutions yet. He just said Toyota want to log all incidents.

Talbit

If they can't fix it, even with imported pistons, suggest to them that you want a 2GR-FE engine put in instead (3.5L V6 like they had on the 2006 model as an option). :) Bye-bye oil consumption, hello power (and moderate increase in fuel consumption). That engine is still used largely in the '350' versions of Lexus models (ie. IS350) and it goes damn well. A real shame that they dropped it off the options list for the RAV4.

Bringing a diesel model in on an already established RAV4 line up was unprecedented for Toyota Australia, and something I thought they'd never do. As such, it's brought over a few problems as well.

Edited by Andrew162

If they can't fix it, even with imported pistons, suggest to them that you want a 2GR-FE engine put in instead (3.5L V6 like they had on the 2006 model as an option). :) Bye-bye oil consumption, hello power (and moderate increase in fuel consumption). That engine is still used largely in the '350' versions of Lexus models (ie. IS350) and it goes damn well. A real shame that they dropped it off the options list for the RAV4.

I'd say they dropped the V6 because it would have been cannibalising sales from the Kluger (which is 2GR-only)

IMO the Kluger shouldn't have been introduced into the Aussie market, it's trying to plug a hole that isn't really there. The RAV4, the Prado and the LandCruiser covered virtually all bases in the 4WD local lineup. It's almost the same size as the RAV4, used to use a 3.3L 3MZ engine but now upped to the 3.5L so RAV's had it's legs chopped a bit there. The only place the Kluger outshines the RAV4 would be in interior space which would be comparable to a Prado.

I was scratching my head as to why they thought it was a good idea to bring the Kluger over here (US call it a Highlander), when our 4WD market looked to have a reasonably full bucket.

IMO the Kluger shouldn't have been introduced into the Aussie market, it's trying to plug a hole that isn't really there. The RAV4, the Prado and the LandCruiser covered virtually all bases in the 4WD local lineup. It's almost the same size as the RAV4, used to use a 3.3L 3MZ engine but now upped to the 3.5L so RAV's had it's legs chopped a bit there. The only place the Kluger outshines the RAV4 would be in interior space which would be comparable to a Prado.

I was scratching my head as to why they thought it was a good idea to bring the Kluger over here (US call it a Highlander), when our 4WD market looked to have a reasonably full bucket.

Seating - RAV4 has traditionally been a 5-seater (even in the long-wheelbase models) but the Kluger is mostly 7-seat. So it's the 7-seat Toyota with car-like handling you buy when you don't want a Tarago and don't want the off-road-capable Prado

Well that's what I meant with the interior. To be quite honest, even the 2006 RAV4 had the facility for 7 seats, even though none were introduced with them (they were a US market feature). There's still the 2 pull tabs in the rear of the cargo bay (if someone knows what to look for) which would release the seats in all the Aussie models, and power-to-weight wise, it's still the RAV4 I'd choose. Now if only they had a 2-door model, which they canned in 2001...

Hi i was on this fourm a few months ago and sat back to see what was developing with my issue of looseing oil since i noticed at 18.000 and kept a eye on the loss of oil, we reached 56,000 klm after looseing 2litres of oil after doing 6,000 klm while on a recent holiday, but my battle goes backa long way and intensified after 30,000 klm ,after doing a consumtion test it revealed there was a loose of oil but where it was going apart from the exhust nobody new or wouldnt say after that nothing was happening so my wife and i went to RACQ for advice and was told to approach the dealership and not the service department, things started to happen quickly after that meeting so at 56,600 klm the motor was pulled out and rebuilt with pistons ,rings and bearings so now its back to the observation on the distick to see if the motor is fixed i will keep you informed welshpomie

Thanks all for the updates. Welshpomie, the ball is in your court. Let's hope you have a good outcome. And can you please report on if you think they did a good job of the rebuild. I'd hate to think that they might have introduced other problems which will show up a few years down the line. Does the engine perform as it did before the rebuild? How long did they have your vehicle for? Who is your dealer?

I wonder where the idea for the rebuild came from? I would hope that Toyota Japan would have come up with a solution by now. It appears as though the dealers are mostly in the dark which might be Toyota Australia's fault.

Jennifer tells us the synthetic oil makes no difference so I won't hold my breath.

Andrew, I can't imagine they would even consider installing a different engine.

Hi to all those on this forum.

1 Llewellyn Toyota Ipswich QLD

2To early to say about the rebuild as the motor has only done 700ks .

3 I think the motor is still a little tight , before the rebuild the rav was averageing 5-6 to 6-1 per 100ks, at the moument it is running at 6-5 per 100ks.

4 Llewellyn's had the rav for 10 days to ensure everything was run as it should and give a sort of run in you might say .

5 My understanding for the rebuild came from consulation with Llewellyn's and Toyota Melb ,i was told the service manager flew down to Melbourne and spoke with Toyota Tech Personel after the consumption test was done and it was a week after that test Toyota Melb authorised Llewellyn's to order the parts from Japan , i was told the only snag that may arise was the head gasket could only be organised once the pistons were installed to find out what thickness was required which men't ordering from Brisbane ,Sydney or Japan .

6 The sythetic oil was changed at the30,000 service from 5w -30 to 5w-40 which did'nt make any difference to the consumpton loss .

I truly hope this battle is over i also belive i maywel be the first guinea pig so far i think most Ravs are only at 20,000 - 30,000 klm there can not be to many pushing 60,000 klm i will keep you up dated.

I'd say they dropped the V6 because it would have been cannibalising sales from the Kluger (which is 2GR-only)

I am almost at the 60,000 k mark as I travel 1.5 hrs each way to work.

Toyota at this stage are not committing to any parts until they get the motor out.

They put me on this new oil a while ago and it didn't help, I was loosing around a litre of oil a fortnight.

I honestly had to fight and fight to get them to do anything and made several complaints to the Toyota customer care number on their website.

My dealership has a new Toyota kluger in at the moment ( same problem- using oil) and I know the v8 land cruisers also have this problem though they did respond to the synthetic oil.

So it's not just our ravs with this problem.

The dealer bought back my RAV as I was not prepared to accept a "reworked" RAV4 and to be a guinea pig for Toyota Japan. I am afraid Toyota is sliding in a big way....no doubt I will never ever buy another Toyota or set a foot in a Toyota dealership.

Thanks for the good info Bryan.

Pretty drastic Hennie. No doubt you lost big dollars in the buy-back?

I met up with a fellow down at the local Bunnings the other day. He's in a diferent situation to the rest of us... He reached his service time limit before he got to the first 10,000klm so he wouldn't have known what his oil level was.

Hi Trevor we did'nt register any loss of oil in the first service we had the service done at 9,600 km ,and it did not click untill a short time ago because i could'nt under stand why, but i imagined it was because when the rav went in for the 1,000 km check the service department topped up the oil . Has for being a guinea pig everone to there own , i certainly did not want a replacement motor that would give the same result but if this rebuild has the same result then it will prove Toyota has forgotten how to build motors and will quickly disappear from not only Australia but the rest of the world ,and honestly i cannot see that happen ,but time will tell.

Hi All.

My RAV4 2013 diesel cruiser is diagnosed with the same problem. I looked up in the Internet and found this forum talking about the same issue. In addition to this, my economy is worst with 8.5 l average. Toyota managed to do the sweet talk and booked to put down the engine for 5 working days to replace the pistons etc. Promised me that it will reduce the oil consumption by 60 percent. At first I was too worried thinking about the reworked engine. But I also thought having to live with oil hungry engine for forever. I only did 20th within a year and already refilled twice.

Any way I just wanted to share this with you all. Cheers.

Hi All.

My RAV4 2013 diesel cruiser is diagnosed with the same problem. I looked up in the Internet and found this forum talking about the same issue. In addition to this, my economy is worst with 8.5 l average. Toyota managed to do the sweet talk and booked to put down the engine for 5 working days to replace the pistons etc. Promised me that it will reduce the oil consumption by 60 percent. At first I was too worried thinking about the reworked engine. But I also thought having to live with oil hungry engine for forever. I only did 20th within a year and already refilled twice.

Any way I just wanted to share this with you all. Cheers.

HI everyone.

Just an update how my motor is going so far the motor has only done 1,000 since the rebuild and is showing no loss of oil yet fuel consumtion has come down from 6-5 per hundred to 5-6 so the motor is starting to loosen up and that is based on hwy driving with no traffic lights averaging 95-98 per-hour .