how many kms are the 4.5 litre petrol good for

CROCO

Hi everyone, im considering either purchasing a 4.5 litre 80 or a 100 series landcruiser, depending on price and kms.

I would love a 100 series, especialy a turbo diesel but OUCH! the price difference, I know the there worth every cent, but I dont want to spend that sort of money, to spend that sort of money I would have to sell my kluger , but I dont want to do that as I love my kluger and would later sell it for a prado or fj cruiser, I only want the cruiser for the weekend or going on 4wd trips,keep the kluger as my main car.

So I would like your opinion the 4.5 litre petrol and if theres any problem to look out for and how many kms are they good for.

I have driven the 4.5 in the 100 series but I havent yet driven 80 series , so im not sure how much better the 100 series drives over the 80 series.

I know the 4.5 are thirsty beasts but what im going to do they will be fine, I wont be doing very many kms so being thirsty wont be to much of a problem, with in reason.

Peoples opinion on the 4.5 in both the 80 and 100 series would be greatly appreciated.

I have owned many toyota four wheel drives, but never a landcruiser.

Hi,

I'm only new to the group, but not new to my 80 Series.

I inherited my 1994 80 Series GXL from my uncle, who owned it from new. It has been run on LPG from the start as dual fuel and is currently up to 580,000kms original motor.

2 years ago when I got it, it has 540,000kms, it wasn't perfect, but it was running fine, and since then I have had to do the following:

replaced alternator

replaced belts

changed some lpg sensor thingy

changed rocker cover gasket

replaced radiator hoses

replaced springs and shocks (they were sagging)

replaced steering dampner

brake pads all round

replaced battery

replaced window tints

replaced wiper fluid moto

replaced rear lifting struts for rear door

replaced power steering pump

regas aircon

these didn't all happen at once but over the 2 years, extra to normal servicing. She doesn't blow any smoke, the oil is always clear when I change it every 10000kms. she accelerates well, the steering is pretty tight for it's age.

I think it still needs the CV joins to be done, and probably the bearings at the same time. but that's it, she's been a solid car.

For an old girl, she is really impressive, and we treat her rough as well, with some heavy 4 wheel driving etc. and she's always unstoppable.

I have since purchased a new 200 series sahara because of how reliable my 80 is, and I still keep her for offroading and doing workhorse type stuff, going to the tip, helping people move, picking up rubbish from ebay etc.

One thing to check I suppose is if it is auto that the gears don't clunk around, mine does that a bit, but nothing too much to make a big deal about.

Someone told me an auto service might fix it, but like I said it doesn't bother me enough at the moment.

So not sure if I was helpful, but thought I would share my experience. I certainly would buy an 80 series with 500,000+ kms again, for the right price that is, considering that she'll probably need all that work above done.

Cheers,

atpinto

Between a 80 and a 100 series I would go the 80 and also be looking for a turbo diesel, especially if you are wanting to do some off roading, better low down torque in a TD. As much as this goes against the purpose of the forum, the 4.2TD Patrols are a very good car too and can be had for a lot less than a Toyota. I would still go the Toyota though :)

thanks anthony and brendan, thats the information I was after, 500000kms and she still going strong, you cant beat toyota reliability.

The landcruisers I have been looking have been 80 series 4.5 petrol with around 250000kms on them for roughly $15000 mark in exellent condition with no mods only used for a family wagon just to carry the kids to school and family holidays.

I was looking on country cars the other day and come across a 1998 100 series 4.5 petrol gxl with 138000kms on it in exellent order no mods only had been driven around the city and had done no fourwheeldriving for under $14000, which is a absolute bargain.

Deep down I would love a diesel, especialy a turbo diesel, but the price they want for them and kms they have travelled is more than the petrol and they dont seem to be in as good order as the petrol ones.

I did even consided go over to the other team and buying a patrol.

I looked at a few gu 4.5 and even 4.8 litre six petrols for the money I wanted to spend, they seem to be alot more truck for your buck comparied to the landcruisers, I did also look at the GQ 4.2 diesels but finding a good one is the biggest problem, I looked GU4.2 turbos, but they were out of my budget, I did find a few cheap 3.0 litre patrols but they had to manykms and theres a bit of a cloud hanging over them for reliability for the old hand grenade.

I will keep serching and see what happens.

Thanks guys for your replys.

At a quick glance some of these might be alright?

TD 80's

http://www.carpoint....id=1370503B48CB

http://www.carpoint....id=1370503B48CB

Pretty much everything there was over the 300,000km mark.

What about something a bit smaller like a Prado or a Hilux, they will be a little bit cheaper so you should be able to get something a bit newer for your money.

thanks brendan for that information mate much apreciated, I would defintely consider a hilux or prado, I have owned two hiluxes and a prado and I loved them, I would love another 120 series prado, it was the best car I ever owned I wish I still had it, that fantastic 4.0v6 was absolute perler.

I would also wouldnt mind another hilux, my old 1998 model 3.0d was abosolute champion wasnt very powerful or fast but it was very reliable and could go just about any wear.

I looked at the older 90 series prados which had good kms on them, which looked pretty good.

AHH decisions decisions :g: .

A couple of years ago I picked my 2001 dual cab SR5 up for $23,000 with only 97k on it... not even broken in yet! Your right about them not being that powerful but it's more than capable for the type of off roading that I was using it for and with a bit of money spent on it, it would be capable of even more.

Something like this would be ok

http://www.carpoint....20937&silo=1011

And this one isn't too bad but it's not an SR5

http://www.carpoint....20937&silo=1011

Thanks again brendan your champion, my old hilux had 250000kms on it when I sold it and it never had a spanner on it, apart from normal replacable items, such as a timming belt and drive belts, the starter motor was starting to need attention but thats about it.

The standard hilux would be fine and even if its not turbo diesel wouldnt be a great deal, if I want powerfull performance I got my kluger for that.

Its so long since I have driven the old shape hilux, I have forgotten what they go like.

I know deep down I would like a landcruiser, but a hilux would fit the bill fine.

I keep my option open and keep searching and see what happens

• 2 weeks later...

Mate I had one of these. Bought it with 30,000km on it and sold it with 160,000+km on it.

The motors are crap! They use ALOT of fuel!!!!!

They have weak valve stem seals (oil consumption after 90,000km) apparently common problem.

If you buy a manual like what I had, they have a shifting problem to do with the dual mass flywheel, basically almost stops you from shifting after you rev the motor hard

Permanent 4WD they flog out the front hubs (I was the first in Aus to get a Marks 4WD part time conversion kit that had a spool center diff and front hubs as per pic).

In short........ very old car, and old tech.......... You are MUCH better off buying a FJ Cruiser.!!!!

I also fitted mine with extractors and exhaust and K&N filter and in 2WD mode it could hardly out accelerate our 100 series TD.

Average consumption was near 15lt per 100km!

Once towing a box trailer full of wood and a passenger, 500km I used an astronomical amount of fuel (driving fast) it was around 21lt per 100km. I sold this car and bought a Kluger!

You can't beat a modern V6 for power and efficiency !!! Its a bit like old Nissan GTR's the RB26 was good in its day, everyone gagged over the R34 Skyline, now its a nothing car compared to the R35 and its V6 twin turbo ......... similar with these cars mate. The old in line 6 is a piece of garbage compared to the V6 of smaller capacity.

petecruiser1test.jpg

petecruiser6.jpg

petecruiser5.jpg

Thanks peter, I would love a fj, but the old budget doesnt quiet make , however I was looking at cars guide and I spoted another 4.0v6 120 series prado couple of years older than my old one with not much more kms than I had on mine pretty cheap, I know what people reading this are going to say why did you sell your prado, well I needed a car with less kms on it for a daily drive and the kluger was all I could afford at the time and I didnt realize how durable prados drivelines were before I sold it, now after talking to toyota mechanic, there quiet easly get to 400000kms without a problem, I ran into a bloke while I was getting my kluger serviced and he said he's prado just clocked up 350000kms on it and never had any problems, I cant tell you how that made feel after I heard that, I would love another v6 120 series, thats what I have got my heart set on but a 90 series would be fine, depends on the budget.

A fourwheel drive with a few more kms on it wouldnt be a drama now I have my kluger as my daily drive, the fourwheel drive would only be used on the weekends and the odd trip away, most of my highway trips would be done in the kluger.

I hope the budget can stretch to another car,because I want a camper trailer, anyway we see what happens.