High Mileage Oil Problem

Hi Guys,

I know theres a few posts about oil but none relating to oil for high mileage (otherwise Im not very good at searching forums)....

My 2003 Conquest has 220,000 kms on it (hasnt missed a beat :) ), and so naturally burns a fair bit of oil..... should the oil I use be thicker to counter this? like 20w50? Im more concerned about looking after the engine more than anything, theres no leaks in the engine either....also there seems to be alot of differing opinions about what the best brand is..... any general guidance about decent brands also?

Many Thanks

Tim

yes. Once your engine has a few kms on it, its not a bad idea to start using a thicker engine oil. 20/50 is not a bad grade oil to use, definitly wouldnt be using a 5/30 or simmlar. There are thicker oil like 40/70 but I personnally only use it in engines which blow smoke or have nearly reached the end of there life

what oil weight are you currently running? 20W50 may be too thick for the vvti to function properly given it's designed to run 5w30

Have a similar issue, went to 5w30 and burnt most of it until the oil pressure light turned on around corners in 2 weeks!

went to 15w40 and so far so good.