86 GTS and Supra comparison?

06 Sportivo Bloke

Is the 86 GTS the new supra?

Does it have the same or similar engine mod capabilities?

I been debating seriously trading my old 06 sportivo for something newer and nicer like this little baby just wanna know a little bit more about it :)

definately not.

the supra was a large(ish) GT car... fast in a straight line with a nice powerful I6.

The 86 is much more closely related to the AE86 Corolla or RWD Celicas.... being small, 4cylinder with a big focus on handling rather than power/speed.

There is plenty of info about the 86 on toyotas website...http://www.toyota.com.au/86?WT.ac=Toyota_GlobalNav_Cars_86 or in the 86 section of TOCAU.

Rumour has it that a Supra successor may arrive in 2015.

One concept used the Lexus RX powertrain - mid-engine rear wheel drive 2GR-FSE with hybrid transaxle, plus front wheels electric motor driven. Total was certainly over 300kW.

Also talk of a 3rd Toyota sports model, under the 86, being about the size of a Yaris.

Heard Toyota and BMW are teaming up now after the success of the 86 and creating the new Supra due in 4-5 Years

Only if it will have a diesel engine, which is what the partnership is about.

Heard Toyota and BMW are teaming up now after the success of the 86 and creating the new Supra due in 4-5 Years

Only if it will have a diesel engine, which is what the partnership is about.

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/bmw-toyota-to-codevelop-sports-car-20120630-2190i.html

"BMW and Toyota confirmed plans that will see the two car makers jointly conceive, engineer and produce a new sports car as part of a broad reaching technical partnership that is also set to centre around lightweight constructions, fuel cell development and hybrid powertrains.

The announcement of the partnership, which builds on an existing agreement for the supply of BMW diesel engines for various Toyota models from 2014 onwards, follows the signing of a memorandum by BMW boss Norbert Reithofer and Toyota chairman Akio Toyoda in Munich, Germany."

Partnership includes hybrid and fuel-cell technology, and the new Supra has been touted for ages to have a hybrid drivetrain (conventional power to the rear wheels, electric to the front), so it doesn't have to be a diesel...