Kluger front differential problem

Jassmitty

Hi.

I am new to this forum (just joined). The reason I am writing is because I have just had the front diff of my AWD Kluger rebuilt. I bought it brand new (granted it was the demo model but had only done about 40km) in 2010 and it has only done approx 20,000km (in 18 months). It has not had to tow anything or been driven under any sort of hard conditions.

A couple, of months before I was due to put my Kluger in for its 18 month service I noticed a slight whining noise when cruising between 60km/h-70km/h. This whining noise was not present at any other speeds whether cruising or accelerating. i decided to mention this at the 18 month service when I took it in to Toyota. The service personnel agreed that there was a "periodic" noise from the front diff. I did not notice this whining noise before this time but there is usually music playing when I am driving.

The service dept told me that another Kluger also had to be sent away for gearbox/transmission repairs along with my Kluger. This is the first Toyota I have owned and I thought thety were pretty reliable.

Has anyone else experienced similar diff problems (or are aware that this is a Kluger problem)?

Hi jason, yeah mate there has been a number of klugers with same problem as yours,most of them have been fixed under warranty and few members havent been so lucky, was your kluger fixed under warranty mate?.

The seems to ocur the same as yours at around 60 to 70kmh and happens to kluger with pretty low kms.

Have read about 4 pages back on the topic - WHINE IN TRANSFER CASE- 2011 KLUGER.

The information in there should give some idea what peoples ideas and outcomes are, anyway jason welcome to the forum and hope to chat with later on the forum.

Cheers David.

Thanks for the info. A bit worrying though. Especially considering that when the problem was first confirmed by the service dept they did their best to try and talk me out of getting it looked at/repaired (if required) as they had to send it from the Central Coast down to Sydney. They were saying things like.....well, it will be off the road for a while (at least a week) and they will have to take everything apart and have a look........why don't you wait and see if it gets changes..........we have to send it all the way down to Sydney.........we can arrange for it to be picked upo and taken down/returned or you can take it down yourself......etc.

I will check the topic.

Yeah Toyota fixed it under warranty. I tried to get a replacement vehicle whilst they were fixing the problem (took almost 2 weeks before I got the Kluger back) but they said they would only give me a replacement vehicle if they had to order the parts from Japan. They said they had to check if it was a warranty issue first. The service dept also said that they were the only ones that would offer any kind of replacement vehicle (i assume they were comparing to other manufacturers). Is this the case (i.e. do other manufacturers give a replacement vehicle if a vehicle is offroad for and extebded period of time due to a warranty issue)?

Hi jason, I think some of these guys at dealerships think we are green as grass, what they probadly hoping that you let it get worse and come back later after the warranty ran out, so you would have to foot the bill, cunning buggers, you have warranty on cars for a reason, to fix problems in the first few years of ownership, so your not out of pocket, anyway its all fixed now and I hope it doesnt give anymore trouble.

When I had my commodore , the dealership had it more than I did and it was under warranty, but never got a car of them while it was been repaired, and they had it neally 2 weeks, , I could have hire of them, but at a cost, robbing bastards, I will never buy holden again, buckets of crap.

Edited by CROCO

Yeah very true David.

Being my first new car (and quite expensive) I am quite shocked at the lack of effort given by Toyota Service thus far (don't know if it is similar for other manfaucturers but given commercial reality I suspect it is). After each of my six monthly services thus far I get an email each from Toyota Australia and the local dealer who sold me the Kluger questioning among other things whether or not the details shown on the invoice were explained to me when I picked the car up. To date I have said no. I do, however, question items I see on the invoice that I would like further info on.

I put in some scathing remarks to the TA survey in regards to the front diff probelm I had identified and the failure of the service dept to arrange as agreed before I eventually got a call from the local dealer (re the other survey).

When I went to pick the Kluger up after the diff repairs it was like here is the form from Terry Shields for you to sign (only with a statement on what I had reported the problem to be and that the service department had in fact confirmed a "periodic noise from the diff") and see you later. I had to specifically ask what had been done. The expression of the service personnel indicated it was a rare problem with the car.

I am very appreciative of this forum. Any further problems and I will walk into the service dept with eyes wide open.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi KLuger drivers, new first time owner of a toyota. I have also got whining noises when traveling at between 60 & 70 kph, and only happens while crusing at that speed, but as soon as I take my foot of the excelerator it disapears. Is that normal or is there something I should be getting checked out....I have only done 35,000 in it....love the car but the noise drives me up the wall

thanks in advance

Steve

HI steve welcome the forum, mate unfortunatly its not normal and the whine is affecting a number of klugers, I think its the final drive or diff, someone on the forum will set me straight,I know they have replace parts and need the car for a few days,my advice mate take it down to your toyota dealer and get them to check it out, at least they will have a record of it on there files, hopefully your dealer does the right thing by you and gets the problem fixed propaly and under warranty with no charge , anyway mate lets us know how you get on.

thanks david, its going in for a service on the 9th september so i will speak to them about it then hopefully they are nice to me

I will let you know how it all went......also would anyone know if there is a device the will unblock the functions on the phonebook and navigation system, Its stupid that I have to pull over everytime I need to key something in even when I have a passenger

thanks again

• 9 months later...

I have the same final drive noise,came in at approximately 17ks and was told at next service it was normal and not to worry.I have now done 48ks and left it with Gary MacMillan Toyota for assessment.The reply was.There was a periodic whine hardly noticeable.To repair,they would dismantle and inspect then order parts,which could take up to five weeks.This sounds more like a big effort to put me off than anything else. I think I will discuss this with Toyota directly as it sounds like a fairy tale that should start with,''Once upon a time''.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have just had the same gearbox 'whine' issue resolved. I purchased my KX-R AWD from Narellan Toyota in Jan 2011 and have covered 55k. The service dept initially said the couldn't hear the noise so I took them out for a drive and this time they noticed it! Well 4 days later and the car has had the final drive pinion replaced and all is fixed. From what Terry Shields Parrammatta say, this is a modified part, so the noise should not re appear. I'll wait and see on that one. Can't really complain about the service dept at Narellan, didn't try and fob me off and they supplied a courtesy car.

• 9 years later...

Hi,

I think we may have the same problem with our 2011 Kluger, we have almost 165000 on the clock. Just wondering if anyone knows what the cost of the repairs would roughly be these days?