Aurion Parts - what do you use and where do you get them from

The Mad Doc

Hi all

Apologies if this has been answered before. I am interested in finding out what parts people use and where do you source them from. Eg what Oil do you use and where do you think is the cheapest place to get it. Same thing for spark plugs (originals or after market), oil filter, air filter etc etc.

I am trying to find out what people use and how much these cost to save money on the next service so I can get these parts and give it to the mechanic as opposed potentially using lower quality parts for higher price.

Any help is appreciated :)

Cheers

The Mad Doc

Thanks Jeff, any experience buying from ebay? I just looked at oil filters as an example and this is what I found but I have no idea if this is better than supercheap or not

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Toyota+Genuine+Oil+Filter+Kit+04152+31090+Lexus+RX300

would love to know what other people think :)

But he's a Mad Doctor

Mad_Doctor_Poster.jpg

Anyways, for oil filter I stick with genuine. Works out to be about the same price as a Ryco (which is probably the only other brand I'd consider in a hurry) which you can pick up at Autobarn/Super Cheap Auto/Repco. Had no issues with the genuine one so I always stuck with it.

Oil, I use Penrite oils which I buy from Autobarn.

Air filter.... well I have a K&N reusable and get the supplies for that from Autobarn.

Coolant, I use genuine. Bought direct from Toyota spares. Same goes with the fuel filter... except I got that cheaper on eBay.

Spark plugs... try these guys: http://www.sparkplugauto.com/

Here we go: I'll answer your PM here so everyone can see this.

Oil filter: Bought from Toyota for about $16inc GST. If you can source cheaper from the net for Toyota genuine go for it.

Oil: http://www.superchea...911#Description I have a traders card so I get it slightly cheaper. I've been using this oil for two years now. No problem at all.

Air Filter: Bought directly from Toyota. If you can source cheaper else where go for it.

Cabin Filter: Again, bought directly from Toyota

Spark plugs: http://www.ebay.com....6.c0.m270.l1313 About $80 all up. To buy these directly from Toyota you would need to take another mortgage out on your house.

Edited by Silver-Aurion

Awesome, thanks for the replies guys. Just a question on oil, I see you are using 5w-40 I thought for the Aurion a 5w-30 is whats needed? or am I wrong? I dont know much about oil so excuse the ignorance.

I also read somewhere else that it needs approx 6 litres of oil? is that right? would a 5 L oil be enough or do I need to buy 2 of them and keep the rest for next time?

Lastly the silliest question, but I do want to confirm I only need 6 spark plugs is that right? I do remember a mate who had a 4 cylinder car but needed 8 spark plugs as it was DOHC or something like that.

Thanks for the replies :)

Have a look though the Aurion forum for more information with regards to oils. There has been quite a lot of discussion on this one. 10W30 is just the recommended oil as per the manual for the car. This does not mean that you can not use a different grade of oil within specification (as stated in the manual) depending on the conditions the car is driven in.

Awesome, thanks for the replies guys. Just a question on oil, I see you are using 5w-40 I thought for the Aurion a 5w-30 is whats needed? or am I wrong? I dont know much about oil so excuse the ignorance.

I also read somewhere else that it needs approx 6 litres of oil? is that right? would a 5 L oil be enough or do I need to buy 2 of them and keep the rest for next time?

Lastly the silliest question, but I do want to confirm I only need 6 spark plugs is that right? I do remember a mate who had a 4 cylinder car but needed 8 spark plugs as it was DOHC or something like that.

Thanks for the replies :)

That would have been 4 on the inlet and 4 on the exhuast....CA20 nissan motor as one example.

yeah mate 6 plugs only and the oil you will need is a little over 5lts but it wont take the entire 6lt,you will have some left over...no savings to be had there,and no you cant buy oil by the mils :P ...just playing with ya.

Hello again

Really appreciate the comments and the feedback. I bought the following parts from Toyota, I am going to list them with their parts numbers as it may help someone else in the future who is in the same situation so all of these are genuine toyota parts

Note that prices are exclusive of GST

Engine Air Filter: 1780131120 - $43.14

Aircon filter: 8713906050: $31.50

Oil Filter: 0415231090: $19.32

Break fluid 500 ml bottle: 0882380080: $8.96 per bottle

I also bought the 5w-40 penrite from SCA to use. I have my spark plugs on order so as soon as they arrive I will take the car and get it serviced.

I buy my oil filter from HK for $4 each. Tried both the genuine and $4 and found no difference.

Oil i buy from - http://www.performancelub.com/

Cabin and air filter i buy from USA from Ebay.

Which Oil do you buy from the we http://www.performancelub.com/ and how much do you buy per service? also which filter do you get from HK?Lastly the parts that you get from Ebay do you just go by part number or what do you search for?

I buy my oil filter from HK for $4 each. Tried both the genuine and $4 and found no difference.

Which Oil do you buy from the we http://www.performancelub.com/ and how much do you buy per service? also which filter do you get from HK?Lastly the parts that you get from Ebay do you just go by part number or what do you search for?

Oil is Mobil 5w-30 EP for $12 a bottle. You only need 6 bottles.

Just search ebay yourself for the filters.

Oil is Mobil 5w-30 EP for $12 a bottle. You only need 6 bottles.

Just search ebay yourself for the filters.

Thanks for the information, one last question, how often do you service the car? is it every 15,000 miles as the Oil says or do you go by the book which is approximately every 10,000 KM? As I can see that it gets expensive if you are changing the oil every 10K and using this expensive oil.

In answer to your question, it's up to you. I personally prefer not to go over 10 000 km's without servicing any vehicle I own. Depending on how the car is driven (eg "grandma" style or "right foot like a besser block" style) I would even suggest that every 5 000 kms is not ridiculous. In your shoes, I would suggest you change at least oil and oil filter once the oil begins to lose its viscosity (ie oil gets "watery" as it degrades). If you have a heavu foot and this means every 5-7 000 kms, then so be it. It's better than causing excessive wear on your motor. Keep an eye on it and when you notice that the oil in your engine is not as "thick" as when you poured it in, it's time for a change. I, personally, wouldn't be going over 10 000km's on it though.

Depending on the part(s) required, I use www.rockauto.com to purchase parts for my 1999 Camry. If the part is either large or heavy, don't bother as postage would be high, buy it locally, but if they are either light or smallish then consider from overseas. I had purchased 6 iridium spark plugs and even with postage, still saved over $40Aus to what they would cost here.

Repco sell the red coolant that they claim is OK for Toyota

It's OAT whatever that is

Anyone use their coolant for Toyota Aurion, Camry etc

How often does coolant need changing, is five years about right ?

Well first things first, the initial coolant change is 150,000km (which was 5 years for me in response to your question) and then every other coolant change after that is at 75,000km.

The Toyota Super Long Life Coolant (SLLC) is quite good and does exactly what it's meant to do and considering the long time between changes, I don't see any reason to use anything else. You would probably only save about $20-$25 per coolant change (Toyota SLLC works out to be about $10/litre retail in the 5 litre bottles) so when you work it out for a car that travels average k's, it's like $1 per month that you are saving. I personally would stick to the Toyota coolant but each to their own.

Thanks for the quick reply

Your logic is irrefutable; I'll stick to genuine Toyota coolant

One other query if you would be kind enough to further advise

My mechanic recommends never changing the automatic gearbox oil, claiming it adds nothing to the life of the automatic gearbox, unlike regular service to the engine oil and filter

Is this the acceptable practice for modern automatic gearboxes?

This is my first vehicle with an automatic gearbox so have very little knowledge of them

Your logic is irrefutable; I'll stick to genuine Toyota coolant

That said however, I do hear good things about Nulon products. They may very well do the job however I am usually one to stick with what I know has worked for me. I'll probably be keeping my Aurion for a while and if it reaches the point where the coolant starts to look like it is getting contaminated due to wear and tear on the engine, I'd probably switch to Nulon.

One other query if you would be kind enough to further advise

My mechanic recommends never changing the automatic gearbox oil, claiming it adds nothing to the life of the automatic gearbox, unlike regular service to the engine oil and filter

Is this the acceptable practice for modern automatic gearboxes?

This is my first vehicle with an automatic gearbox so have very little knowledge of them

This is a bit of an interesting topic. Even though most of these manufacturers these days keep saying things like "sealed for life" etc etc, no oil is going to last forever. Because of all this, there really isn't any service interval defined. Whilst I would like to believe that the transmission fluid is good for such a long time, part of me does not trust such claims.

I myself would prefer to change the transmission fluid every 90,000-100,000 km just to be on the safe side. On that note though, I am currently up to 150,000km and am yet to change mine. I don't like the idea of changing just the fluid and not the filter together with it so that's the one part holding me back. There are two bolts holding the transmission sump on which are blocked by the engine sub-frame. I have limited resources available at home. The procedure itself is pretty specific (it's posted somewhere here) so I don't particularly trust anyone but Toyota to approach this one, and seeing that I don't really want to pay Toyota to do it, I am limited by myself pretty much.

When that time comes though, this is one of those moments where I am going to move away from the tried and tested and start using Penrite ATF FS.

Sorry about the late approach to the thread.

I'm pretty particular about my Aurion, and I guess as a dealership mechanic, genuine parts are my preference in regards to oil filters, oils, coolant etc.

I have heard stories about non-genuine parts (and to a lesser extent, counterfeit parts) that would cause headaches should something be less than 100%, and for that I buy my parts as genuine through the dealer.

I've seen Aurions run safely on oils as thick as 15W40, so any thinner is acceptable to me. I use the genuine 10W30 in mine, but thicker stuff will have a slight impact on your fuel economy.

DJKOR seems pretty knowledgeable with the topic. Coolant is 150,000km to 160,000km for the pink stuff, depending on the service intervals and model. I personally would be very cautious about mixing brands of coolant, in case it reacts and can cause corrosion, or water pump or radiator failure. Regardless of the make or model of the vehicle in that instance.

The ATF in the Aurions is known as WS (world standard) fluid, and was intended to last the life of the transmission. It can be replaced, but is a bit of a hassle to do, even checking the level requires a procedure. Not to mention the genuine WS oil sells for more than $15 per litre, and only comes in 4 litre tins.

• 2 weeks later...

I work for a Holden dealer and use ACDelco aftermarket parts on my Aurion, have had no trouble at all with quality.

Only thing i use genuine is wiper inserts, spark plugs and brake fluid.

Prices as per below for ACDelco parts, all $RRP, (prices vary though dealer to dealer)

Oil Filter $14.95

Air Filter $33.55

Cabin Filter $19.05

Dexos1 Oil $51.70 5L (5W-30 Full Synthetic Long Life oil)

DexCool long life coolant 5L $49.50 (Concentrate)

• 2 years later...

Mot too common I guess, 'someone' smacked my oil sump into a rock... something hard. $377 for the new sump! Havent fitted it, part needed to be ordered. It also uses the sealant rather than a gasket for extra fun cleaning the old stuff off.

Will post photos of oil pickup / bottom of engine when I do it