Faulty headlight switch ZRE152

I have been having a problem with my headlight switch. When i turn the lights on sometimes they do not operate. Sometime they will work but the dash lights don't turn on. And other times i have been driving and turned the high beam on and the lights go out completely. Now i have taken it back to Toyota and they have confirmed that it needs to be replace. This might be a common problem as they do carry this part in stock at my local Toyota dealership. I guess whats annoying about all this is the car had done less than 100000km when this started to happen. Another concern is how dangerous this can be when you have your family in the car and your lights go out. I guess Toyota just doe not have the same quality as they used to. You see recalls on faulty electric window switch's so maybe they have the same problems with other switches in the Toyota range. All i can really say is shame on you Toyota for putting peoples safety on the line with substandard products.

• Like 1

Since theres not 20 threads on this same issue, i imagine you're just one of the unlucky ones and thats to be expected with any manufacturer

There'll always be a large number of cars which will last forever without issues like they're meant to and there'll be a small number which may have minor issues

Besides you should be glad its something minor and electrical and nothing major to do with the engine or gearbox

So it sounds like this is a common problem. Is it possible they have used the same grease that is causing the recall problem with the power window switch. The worrying thing is when there is not a good electrical contact this causes heat by creating resistance. Is this not the problem they are facing with the current recall. Ether way i will replace it and conduct a inspection of the faulty switch myself. I have reported this to the governing body for all recalls in Australia and will see what happens. And the comment about the gearbox and engine. My engine was burning oil and had it fixed by Toyota. I can post the official document regarding this problem and the cause with the fix they did. Thanks for all your comments and i will let you know how i get on.

• 1 month later...

Received a email from the Department of Infrastructure and Transport. They have taken up my case of the faulty light switch as a safety concern. I will keep people posted on what happens. Might be another safety recall coming up. Hope Toyota keeps records of how many they have replaced.

You complain of that and you use the figure 100,000km.. :/ wow.. 100k is a fair while for everything to last and it's a high expectation. How long do you plan for your tyres to last for ?

As stated above not every car is perfect ur just unlucky to have gotten the car with a faulty switch down the line

Lucky it's not your motor..

Was the switch expensive? Curiosity !!

You complain of that and you use the figure 100,000km.. :/ wow.. 100k is a fair while for everything to last and it's a high expectation. How long do you plan for your tyres to last for ?

As stated above not every car is perfect ur just unlucky to have gotten the car with a faulty switch down the line

or your gearbox, sorry i couldn't help myself :P

Yeh like this bloke ^. Ken and I have been through alot more than a switch, right ken ! Lol..

What year and model corollas do you have? GTL0ST and I had the same issue. Luckily for me I picked up 2 headlight stalks for $40. Then an easy DIY to get it changed.

Yeh like this bloke ^. Ken and I have been through alot more than a switch, right ken ! Lol..

yes clean ur damn inbox.

Before you go to toyota and waste a couple hundred dollars on a new switch, take it to an auto elec and have him check it out.

^^^^^ THIS!

If the auto electrician checks it out and it's a simple matter of changing the stalk. Might be cheaper to buy a headlight stalk like pezzie and get that auto electrician to install it for you.

• 3 months later...

This happened to me and i just got it fixed on the weekend from an auto electrician for $90 he said there is some plastic that is melting in the stalk and the wires in the switch were getting afected and said this might happen again 5 to 4 times until i can change my headlight stalk but toyota is charging $220 to get the whole headlight stalk replaced and installed

Thanks cuong but i have already got one purchased. did you have this problem aswell? it seems to be more common than it should

nah i didnt, i changed my stalk to the one that had a ummm foglight switch so i just had the normal one with no foggy stalk

I think I have this problem now. Damn its like a disease.

So, is it better to get the whole stalk replaced or visit the auto elec to get the switch fixed?

Main beam turns on; parkers, interior and night lights are all busted. I kinda have to bait the main beam by tilting the stalk halfway back...

chris it might just be your fuse ? Have u tried changing it ?

Ill check, i doubt it though, its been playing up for a while. Thanks for the advice :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd thought I'd share my experience in case it helps anyone.

Symptoms initially were intermittent fault with Parker and interior dash lights. One day the lights didn't come n at all, as a temporary measure I removed the plastic surrounds of the steering wheel column and wiggled the loom connecting the stalk. This got me out of trouble for the last month.

After an annoying month of wiggling it was getting harder to wiggle so decided to take it all apart, removed steering wheel and removed wiper and stalk assembly. There is a clear plastic cover behind the copper switches on the light stalk. Take that off and spray clean with electronic cleaner/lubricant . I also took the 4 screws on the stalk and cleaned the underside of electronics. The stalk is mechanical upto the copper switches so be careful not to loose anything inside the assembly.

Put it all together and seems to be fixed.

Hope this helps.

David

• Like 1