parking brake does not hold in backward motion

dtmateojr

The parking brake of my Aurion does not hold when moving backwards. Really bad when parking in an incline because the only thing that holds the car is the gear in P. I holds quite well moving forwards though. I had this checked by Toyota probably 3 times already and they said that this is normal. They told me that the parking brake does not hold a backward motion. I don't believe this because my friend's Aurion works.

Does anyone have a similar problem? Should I get this repaired by a different shop?

Mine did that from the day I got it out of the dealer with delivery km's. Therefore, I assume it's a flaw that Toyota did with most if not every car it produced in its production line.

The sad thing about this problem is that every Toyota engineer we have spoken to lie about this defect as something normal. Shouldn't this be a subject for product recall? It is quite annoying that the car jerks so hard when you disengage from P in an incline. Sooner or later I'm afraid the gear might break and that would be very expensive to fix. :(

Definitely not normal, handbrake should hold on an incline or decline

Shoes probably need a good clean, champfer and adjust along with the cable

A good reason why your handbrake won't hold is probably because they've only been adjusting your cable

The adjuster or whatever its called on aurions and camry's has real small teeth and always gets seized, so people never adjust the shoes and just keep tightening the cable, stretching it over time

Definitely not normal, handbrake should hold on an incline or decline

Shoes probably need a good clean, champfer and adjust along with the cable

A good reason why your handbrake won't hold is probably because they've only been adjusting your cable

The adjuster or whatever its called on aurions and camry's has real small teeth and always gets seized, so people never adjust the shoes and just keep tightening the cable, stretching it over time

for me it wasnt the cable being adjusted, i believe they tighted the gear thing for the shoe

^ They're not doing it right then

If its done right then it should hold uphill or downhill unless your handbrake shoes are worn out

Yeah maybe they're not. After they tighten the foot brake it becomes hard to push after 3 clicks, but the car still rolls back..

Might look into replacing the shoe

3 clicks? Are you sure they didn't tighten the crap outta the cable?

Ideally it should be somewhere between 6-10 clicks

Simple way to adjust them is to first loosen the cable, then adjust the shoes and then tighten the cable to take up the slack

You may be better off taking your rear rotors off and cleaning + giving the shoes a slight sand though before you adjust them

3 clicks? Are you sure they didn't tighten the crap outta the cable?

Ideally it should be somewhere between 6-10 clicks

Simple way to adjust them is to first loosen the cable, then adjust the shoes and then tighten the cable to take up the slack

You may be better off taking your rear rotors off and cleaning + giving the shoes a slight sand though before you adjust them

they adjusted the teeth gear thing so that it should hold after 6 clicks and its really firm when you push down. i'm saying 3 clicks is already tight compared to what it was before they adjusted it. might ask them to adjust the cable too then.

Get them to adjust it properly

Tell them to take the rotors off and give it a good clean + sand the shoes down if needed and free up the little gear

Also how many clicks can you push it down to with your foot? And I don't mean standing on it and using all your force, just push it down like you would normally and count how many clicks

It should be around 6-10 and the handbrake should hold with that amount of clicks, ie you shouldn't need to push it further down to hold

EDIT: If its too tight already, tightening the cable will only make it worse

Most likely the shoes are not adjusted right

Edited by viper33

The sad thing about this problem is that every Toyota engineer we have spoken to lie about this defect as something normal. Shouldn't this be a subject for product recall? It is quite annoying that the car jerks so hard when you disengage from P in an incline. Sooner or later I'm afraid the gear might break and that would be very expensive to fix. :(

You shouldn't rely on the Park shift to hold the car it's not designed to hold the weight of the car, one day it will break and you will have damage to your gear box and what ever your car runs into. The P/shift is probably only a small 6 mm shaft that's drops into a hole in the g/box case.

As for the hand break it should be able to hold the weight of the car forwards or reverse. If they are drum rears the shoes should automatically adjust as the shoes wear. If they aren't adjusting they are probably full of dust and clogged, and they are easy enough to dismantle clean and re-lube. If the drums have been machined and the shoes have wear you might not be able to adjust the cable enough.

If they are disc's it could be the same that they have been machined down, wear on the pads, cable adjustment.

Edited by Gavinator

^ They've got rear disc brakes but the centre hub of the rotor acts as drum and houses the handbrake shoes inside it

Realistically the handbrake shoes shouldn't be worn unless you've got high Ks or you drag the handbrake/do a fair amount of handbrakeys

Get them to adjust it properly

Tell them to take the rotors off and give it a good clean + sand the shoes down if needed and free up the little gear

Also how many clicks can you push it down to with your foot? And I don't mean standing on it and using all your force, just push it down like you would normally and count how many clicks

It should be around 6-10 and the handbrake should hold with that amount of clicks, ie you shouldn't need to push it further down to hold

EDIT: If its too tight already, tightening the cable will only make it worse

Most likely the shoes are not adjusted right

I counted this morning and it clicked 7 times, pressed harder and theres no click.

My foot brake doesn't hold in rear motion...Parked facing forwards on a incline on my drive way, and it rolled backwards, so only P holding it in place.

Took my TRD to toyota yesterday, got it fixed.

Now i just need to hear 3 clicks and it holds solid

Nice, do you know if they repalced anything? and how much they charge?

cheers

Took my TRD to toyota yesterday, got it fixed.

Now i just need to hear 3 clicks and it holds solid

Nice, do you know if they repalced anything? and how much they charge?

cheers

They didnt charge me any extra. I didnt really ask to be honest