TRD Oil Cap

TRD69

I just bought one of these and want to know if its fake or a genuine TRD oil cap.

http://www.ebay.com....984.m1497.l2649

I received the oil cap today, and found the decal sticker to be detached. I'm not sure if the genuine ones come like this, i've also uploaded a pic of the item sent to me.

Any info is much appreciated!

edit: forgot to mention the decal has a 3m backing which i peel off and stick to the cap.

Thanks

post-26087-0-90035400-1360827267_thumb.j

Edited by TRD69

Genuine ones are silver, gold and a different style in black resin,plastic looking..

Genuine ones also come with stick on badge, screw the cap on first then sticker goes on so it's straight. I have made the mistake in the past of putting sticker first then when screwed on the TRD logo was almost upside down :(

Was also keen on getting a genuine TRD start button for my ZR6..until i saw the price ($350) No thanks!!!

I have a brand new one for $200 if your interested, still boxed.

Thanks for the offer but nah I decided to get a pair of DRLs and get it serviced instead

Genuine ones are silver, gold and a different style in black resin,plastic looking..

Price is also a good indicator when looking at real-vs-fake eBay TRD stuff. Genuine gear knobs/oil caps etc cost ~$100-150, the knockoffs are in the $30 range.

Thanks for the replies guys.

yeah i was guessing it was fake due to the price. i contacted the seller who advised it is a genuine TRD item just not made for the aurion but will fit the aurion.

Normally I'd refer back to the TRD Japan site (http://trdparts.jp/english/top.html), but sometimes you have to remember that things can still be "Genuine TRD" and not necessarily come from Japan - places like Malaysia and Korea have a fairly strong aftermarket industry that may have the rights to a particular name and logo in that region and pump out heaps of different styles and products with the logo on them - technically they are "genuine" but they aren't officially made by TRD.

And then you have the Chinese etc copies, some of which are blatantly fake and others which actually go to the extent of replicating the proper TRD packaging.

yeah i was guessing it was fake due to the price. i contacted the seller who advised it is a genuine TRD item just not made for the aurion but will fit the aurion.

That sounds a bit suspicious, even if its not for the Aurion one would think a genuine TRD item would cost a lot more

That sounds a bit suspicious, even if its not for the Aurion one would think a genuine TRD item would cost a lot more

Except for the 86, TRD oil caps are made to suit a wide range of models (there are only 2 basic designs - threaded and bayonet).

my thoughts exactly, oh well $35

Still looks kinda cool though, even if it isn't genuine. Realistically, it's an oil cap!! If it f@&*s up, for 35 bucks, buy another one. I'd love to have a car fitted out with genuine trd gear but the hip pocket don't stretch that far. Your "fake" one still looks cool and gonna match the red paint on that supercharger. I'd put it on my car.

Still looks kinda cool though, even if it isn't genuine. Realistically, it's an oil cap!! If it f@&*s up, for 35 bucks, buy another one. I'd love to have a car fitted out with genuine trd gear but the hip pocket don't stretch that far. Your "fake" one still looks cool and gonna match the red paint on that supercharger. I'd put it on my car.

I've got nothing wrong with copy-style stuff as long as it doesn't try and pass itself off as the real thing ie I had BSA AU229 wheels on the AE102 at one stage, they are a TE37 copy but I made sure that the RAVS VORK stickers weren't fitted. If I'm going to fit something with a TRD/Cusco/APEXi/HKS/whatever sticker on it, I want it to be genuine, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it in the first place, otherwise I'd buy something generic or cheap-branded.