07 Camry Melting Dash

Rich34

Recently I was cleanning the windscreen of my 07 Camry and by accident found that my thumb nail had gone through the dash, leaving a big deep scar in it. On closer inspection I found that the dash was melting so to speak and was sticky / tacky to touch between the windsreen and the steering wheel. The dash now has become very shiny in appearance where this has happened and the dust is now a permanent fixture of the dash, as it has sunk into the dash.

Has anyone else seen this before?

I have seen numerous threads overseas about this but nothing in Australia.

One should check this when the vehicle is out in the sun and to be careful when cleanning your dash.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rich. I have an 07 Aurion with the same issue. Seems to be a growing problem for toyota spanning a few models. I contacted toyota and they said they won't help. I'm thinking of taking this further. Reflection is bad when driving and resale value has obviously plummeted. Not sure if this would affect airbag operation.

• Like 4

Hi Rich, I have the same issue with my 2007 Aurion. My case is very confusing becasue I hardly use this vehicle. Its mostly garaged in my basement parking and it also has a dashmat.

Edited by Gidza83
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue with my 08 Camry Altise, the dash area is melting. I'm the second owner, just took the car to a dealer for 90k service today, was charged 670 for service and 3000 for total repair. Am I being ripped off

• Like 3

I have the same issue with my 08 Camry Altise, the dash area is melting. I'm the second owner, just took the car to a dealer for 90k service today, was charged 670 for service and 3000 for total repair. Am I being ripped off

What is the breakdown of the service and repair?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I was wondering how you got on with your dash? I have the same problem! I first noticed a couple of years ago when I took my car to Toyota as my centre vents and slightly popped out of the dash which they fixed and placed my clip on air freshner to cover where they had taken a couple of chunks out of the dash. I didnt notice this until a few months later and of course they denied this and refused to replace the dash. About a year later I noticed my dash had become sticky, very shiney and bugs stuck in it. I have researched this tonight as I mentioned it when ringing for a quote to get my car detailed. The bloke told me he had seen this in another Camry he had detailed! I'm wanting to sell my car but would like to do the right thing by any prospective buyer without it costing me a couple of thousand or loosing money because of this problem. Do you or anyone have an answer for me???

• Like 2

yes, by going to a dealer for service/repairs.

I think we need to approach Toyota as a group on this one. If they still won't offer a solution we consider other options such as the media.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you going to get far with this as cars are out of manufacturers warranty. I got a 2007 Camry and while my dash is experiencing same thing, however not to extend that I can actually put my finger through it. Having researched on the net it comes out that issue is likely with plastic molding at factory where it was made. Essentially its not effected by sun or where car is stored and simply purely luck based. Some cases are worse then others. Maybe worth while checking out wreckers for replacement with less effect.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Recently I was cleanning the windscreen of my 07 Camry and by accident found that my thumb nail had gone through the dash, leaving a big deep scar in it. On closer inspection I found that the dash was melting so to speak and was sticky / tacky to touch between the windsreen and the steering wheel. The dash now has become very shiny in appearance where this has happened and the dust is now a permanent fixture of the dash, as it has sunk into the dash.

Has anyone else seen this before?

I have seen numerous threads overseas about this but nothing in Australia.

One should check this when the vehicle is out in the sun and to be careful when cleaning your dash.

The same thing has happened to me. Every time the weather warmed up, (whether it be in the shade or not) the dash would get really soft and sticky. I now have dust and insects embedded in it and everytime I clean it, more marks are made by the cloth so i gave up. It is not a pretty sight at all, so I was told to get a dashboard cover. Shouldn't there be a recall or something on this as this really affects the value of the car if i ever want to sell or trade in...

I didn't have the shiny part in my old Camry but I remember it was super soft and if you pressed your nails into it, it would take chunks out easily if you barely dugged. It was kind of like semi-melted wax

Edited by Harlo

My dash is sticky and also peeling off were the air-con vent is ,ill post a picture tomorrow ,was reading on the net that's a common problem in camry's in US ,looks like we have the same problem :(

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a similar issue with my 07 Altise. It's quite sticky and starting to get a bit shiny but hasn't peeled yet. Easiest way to prevent further damage is a dash mat, I would think.

I have a 2007 camry altise and it has the same problem, we have just purchased this car, i phoned up toyota and spoke to them and they said we have to take it to the dealer to get them to have a look at the dash and see why it has happened so the can put a claim in. He said that you are the second owner you might not get it replaced but as i said to him that it shouldnt matter if i was the first second or third its still a fault. i have taken it to the dealer in morley and she has taken photos and said she will send it off as a claim. We have a Nissan Patrol and we were the second owner and there was a recall on the dash and they replaced no questions asked. i was at the shops and seen the same car but a 2009 and the same thing happening to his dash. i think if we all go to the dealers to put a cliam or a faulty report in maybe they will get enough complaints to do something about it, if not then i think we should go to the media. it is a safety issue aswell as it reflects on the windscreen makes a driving hazard.

Edited by DATOI327
  • Like 1

I agree with you DATO. Let me know if you're going to contact the media.

I got the exact same story. Went to the local dealer who took photos, sent them off and Toyota denied the claim. Quoted me $1800 for the part and up to $2000 for labour costs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My Dashboard is so bad, my car is totally unsellable. Was sold it when I was living in Cairns and could not avoid the heat. I have been watching class actions taken against Toyota in US, and if they are successful, I would have no hesitation in joining a class action here in Australia. I will try to take some pics and post em - they are really shocking and the glare makes driving very dangerous.

• Like 1

I agree with you DATO. Let me know if you're going to contact the media.

I got the exact same story. Went to the local dealer who took photos, sent them off and Toyota denied the claim. Quoted me $1800 for the part and up to $2000 for labour costs.

We did the same and got the same result. So then we took it to the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development, as this is the place that has a Minister that can force a Recall.

Well it turns out that even after stating the issues and sending links to the same problem in the US the Department is not going to take any action as the problem is not "Systemic". Apparently no one else has contacted the Department with the same complaint. (vinvestigations@infrastructure.gov.au). Our last reply to them was that we would put it on facebook and see if we can find how many Toyota's have the melting dash problem (Ours is really bad - literally a slick on the dash) and then take it to Current Affairs to see if they are interested in running the story. So if you have or know of someone with the melting dash problem please contact the Department at the above email address and pass it on to others.

Cheers.