07 Camry Melting Dash

Rich34

Hi Rich. I have an 07 Aurion with the same issue. Seems to be a growing problem for toyota spanning a few models. I contacted toyota and they said they won't help. I'm thinking of taking this further. Reflection is bad when driving and resale value has obviously plummeted. Not sure if this would affect airbag operation.

Same problem but we took it to the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development, as this is the place that has a Minister that can force a Recall.

Well it turns out that even after stating the issues and sending links to

the same problem in the US the Department is not going to take any

action as the problem is not "Systemic". Apparently no one else has

contacted the Department with the same complaint. (vinvestigations@infrastructure.gov.au).

Our last reply to them was that we would put it on facebook and see if

we can find how many Toyota's have the melting dash problem (Ours is

really bad - literally a slick on the dash) and then take it to Current

Affairs to see if they are interested in running the story. So if you

have or know of someone with the melting dash problem please contact the

Department at the above email address and pass it on to others.

Attn: All melting dash owners.

We have the same problem but we took it to the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development, as this is the place that has a Minister that can force a Recall.

action as the problem is not "Systemic". Apparently no one else has
contacted the Department with the same complaint. (vinvestigations@infrastructure.gov.au).

My dash is sticky and also peeling off were the air-con vent is ,ill post a picture tomorrow ,was reading on the net that's a common problem in camry's in US ,looks like we have the same problem :(

We have a dash that is totally melting, Toyota not interested took it to the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development, as this is the place that has a Minister that can force a Recall.

action as the problem is not "Systemic".

Apparently no one else has contacted the Department with the same complaint. (vinvestigations@infrastructure.gov.au).

My Dashboard is so bad, my car is totally unsellable. Was sold it when I was living in Cairns and could not avoid the heat. I have been watching class actions taken against Toyota in US, and if they are successful, I would have no hesitation in joining a class action here in Australia. I will try to take some pics and post em - they are really shocking and the glare makes driving very dangerous.

We have the same problem but Toyota not interested so we took it to the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development, as this is the place that has a Minister that can force a Recall.

action as the problem is not "Systemic".

Apparently no one else has contacted the Department with the same complaint. (vinvestigations@infrastructure.gov.au).

After taking my car to the Toyota Dealer here in Tweed Heads and they refused to fix it, I traded my Camry in and bought a brand new Holden. I will never purchase another Toyota after this, I usually purchase Hyundai and thought Toyota would be a higher quality vehicle but I was obviously wrong. Toyota seems to be trading on its name I've previously bought 3 Hyundai's brand new and never had a problem like this.

• Like 1

I got this reply from that email:

Good afternoon

Thank you for your email. The Department considers complaints about vehicles with safety issues or that may not be compliant with the Australian Design Rules or other legislative requirements of the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989. Investigations may be conducted where there is evidence to support a systemic issue. The Department does not provide a consumer advocacy function and cannot act on behalf of a complainant.

In the first instance I would suggest that you discuss your concerns with Toyota Australia. The Toyota Customer Experience Centre can be contacted by phone on 1800 869 682.

If you still have concerns that relate to compensation or customer satisfaction, you should discuss the matter with the office of fair trading in your state or territory. If your concerns are about the safety or standards compliance of a vehicle, you may submit a complaint to the Department.

In order to make a complaint about your vehicle, could you please complete the online form available at http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/complaints_recalls/form_submission.aspx. This form collects information about yourself, the vehicle and any issues necessary for the Department to assess and prioritise investigations. The completed form also allows the Department to discuss the issues with the manufacturer if necessary.

For more information on the Department’s role in vehicle safety complaints and recalls, please see http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/complaints_recalls/index.aspx.

Yours sincerely

Sue Loxton
Investigations Officer
Policy, Legislation and Projects | Vehicle Safety Standards
Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development
GPO Box 594, Canberra ACT 2601
P: 02 6274 6274
E: vinvestigations@infrastructure.gov.au

Yes, we got the same one first up. We used the link to get to the online complaint form and filled it out.

They won't do anything unless you fill out the complaint form.

It's a game that everyone will have to play, even though they now know that there are more people with the same problem.

It's partly not their fault, they have a process that has to be followed.

We have 5 email contacts + the complaint form email to get to this stage.

Ofcourse if you live in another state you may need to use the same Department for that state.

Which ofcourse can dilute the "Systemic" issues because I'm sure the diftterent State's don't talk to each other.

Never the less, if everyone in the country contacts their respective Departments we may get some attention and action.

If you want copies of the emails that we have send an email to sormaz@ozemail.com.au and we will forward them to your email address.

We have also posted on facebook hoping to get the info out to the whole country through contacts.

We have already seen the one's that have not layed over and chased this up from WA, QLD, NSW. We are sure that there are lots more out there.

Thanks for joining us.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well Sue Loxton just forwarded me an email from a Mark Terrel and they have refused to help with this issue. Surprise!

Do we try fair trading from here?

• 2 months later...

Update Sept 02 2014

We have not heard back from A Current Affair (Not surprised).

We have submitted a complaint to the Obudsman about vinvestigations.

The Obudsman's investigative officer is going to review the complaint and let us know if there will be a case to pursue with the concerns we raised.

This wil be the last straw to grab a hold of, other than chasing a class action against Toyota.

We don't want to go there so our journey with Toyota may come to a terminal end.

Will repost when we have more info.

Aurion Gladstone

• 4 weeks later...

Update Sept 02 2014

We have not heard back from A Current Affair (Not surprised).

We have submitted a complaint to the Obudsman about vinvestigations.

The Obudsman's investigative officer is going to review the complaint and let us know if there will be a case to pursue with the concerns we raised.

This wil be the last straw to grab a hold of, other than chasing a class action against Toyota.

We don't want to go there so our journey with Toyota may come to a terminal end.

Will repost when we have more info.

Aurion Gladstone

Well we have heard back from the Ombudsman Office, not going to investigate as the referral officer did not believe that the vinvestigations have erred and that seems to be the end of that - Not passing on to the Obudsman.

We have replied stating that time will tell if individuals will be prosecuted for negligence if someone dies because of this.

So ends our journey, with great disappointment in our so called administrative systems - What a waste of Tax payer dollars.

Very disappointed in Toyota and now consider them to be a shameful company that has now lost face.

• Like 1

Aurion Gladdy, thank you for trying all the avenues you have. I'm not surprised at the outcome.

Toyota USA have helped out where this problem has arisen over there but we have zero protection here in Aus and it shows. Anyone employed in consumer protection should be ashamed. What do they do? Toyota join the growing list of companies ripping customers off.

We will be offloading our Toyota soon and that'll be the last one we purchase. Probably going to have to pay for a dash replacement in order to sell it as I don't want to rip anyone off and that's going to be the icing on the cake! Grrrr...

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Yep same issue with me. Peels like crazy and is soft and shxt material. Finally purchased a dash mat fits in perfect from super cheap auto $35 sale! And a sun shade for the windscreen when parking in the sun. Brisbane does get hot !! Problems solved and looks better Good luck

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have the same issue with my Aurion.

My dash looks like some one has hacked away at it.

I can't clean it as it falls apart so it's all dusty and gross.

Must be a material issue because the prados have issues with there dash too.

Add me to the list guys. My beloved 07 Aurion Sportivo sx6 now has a melting dash in parts. It's that sticky every bit of dust sticks permanently to it and you can move the melted pool of vinyl around with your finger.

I'm pleased with the reliability of the car and performance but the interior is truly shocking quality wise. I've had to cover my dash with an ugly dash mat. I pray we will have some luck getting it replaced in the future like our USA Counterparts but I'm not that hopeful.

The dashboard on my 2008 Aurion has melted to a point whereby, when it is sunny or there is glare from lights, I have very limited or no clear visibility. It's downright dangerous. I see that it is a fault in cars in the US, and the dashboards are being replaced over there. I contacted Toyota here, and am awaiting a response. I would like to see the entire dash replaced because at present, I believe the car would not pass a safety certificate and thus null and void my comprehensive insurance were an accident to occur. Since I am driving dark roads and motorways, and the visibility is so poor, I foresee that happening at any time! I have been using a silver fold out shield to protect the car when it's parked and I'm working, but I can't even use that now because it sticks to the dash which is really melted, shiny and very sticky. It looks a lot like liquid bitumen. Does anyone else, other than above, have this problem? There is a video on the internet which shows that Toyota in the US is replacing the dashboards. I notified Toyota of the problem some months ago, and informed them that I had almost had an accident. Very disappointed because this is my fourth Toyota, and I feel let down by the attitude. Not getting much of an #ohwhatafeelingtoyota. That's for sure.......

• Like 1

I intend to take the melting dashboard issue to task, having been refused by Toyota when I asked for it to be replaced on my 2008 Aurion, a car that is now unsafe to drive. The dashboard is turning to liquid. I have messaged people on this forum, and if you receive it, please message me because the story is currently being reviewed, and they would like to hear from others who have experienced - or are experiencing - the issue. It is a known fault and it should be replaced, and not at our expense, but at that of the manufacturer, Toyota. I have heard various excuses from the company this week, but I refuse to let it go. There is nothing else to it.

• Like 1

They are more than interested now. Don't give up. Please call Channel 9 Brisbane and support my story. I am in contact with ACA, and they have asked for photos (sent) and now are asking if I would be willing to go on camera with my car.

• Like 1

Can you post some contact details at ACA and I will email my support. My car is shocking... insects have landed on the dash and have died stuck there! It's like wet glue to touch. I'v now put carpet over it to save my embarrassment and lord knows what will happen if I try and peel the carpet off. My opinion of Toyota shunning this problem is despicable. I can be contacted on phaebarrett@me.com

• Like 2