07 Camry Melting Dash

Rich34

You can see the Glare in my pics - it's not even a sunny day and it's so hard to see the road properly. Also the insect that's stuck LOL! and I made the mistake of putting a letter on there once (left hand side). That paper has been stuck there for 3 years - can't scrape it off without scraping off the dashboard.

• Like 2

You have got to be kidn me. How can a dash get that bad, did u park it in the middle of Aus? Surely there were early signs before that would tell you that you need to use a sunshade???

Not really, it was parked undercover most of the time and just seemed a bit soft at first. Once the shiny bit appeared, there was nothing you could do - wiping it didn;t make much difference and it deteriorated with or without shade.

• Like 2

It's all well and good to make comment when it hasn't happened to you. We have a dash mat and use a sun shade and our dash is still melting. All other interior plastics in our car are fine. The dash in certain cars is made of substandard material.

• Like 2

I had a sunshade on it. I had to remove it when it started to sticking to it. I can't put a dash cover now because I will never get it off!! It is a known manufacturing fault. I live in Queensland, but I still have the right to drive a Toyota without a melted dashboard. :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Phae, I had the same thing... you couldn't tell at first and then it just melted really fast!! In the USA, they are replacing them. Here, Toyota are coming up with every excuse why they should not. I have spoken today to other people and we are all being told the same things. As individuals, we will get nowhere.... but as a group, and with A Current Affair telling the story, it will bring it to light for many who have lost hope. My car and my house are my only assets. My car is now not safe to drive... I have informed Toyota that I can no longer drive it after losing all visibility on the road when lights reflect from the dash. I have almost had two accidents. I will not be so morally irresponsible as to drive a vehicle which could see me killing someone. I will tell you that it would be very easy indeed to run over a pedestrian, especially a child, when driving my car. It is sitting in the carport and I am running around in a $3,000 98 Ford that - ODDLY - despite sitting out in the sun for it's entire life while the good car, the AURION, was parked in the carport, does NOT have a melted dash. Same property. Same climate. Left out in the sun. Now, tell me that there is nothing wrong with these dashboards. And who knows what we have been breathing in!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mine has been replaced. That's three now that I know of, that have been done. It was quite a struggle to get it replaced, but it looks good, and I have been assured by Toyota that it is recently manufactured. The problem seems to be isolated to 206 to 2009 inclusive.

• 2 months later...

Maverick, yes Brisbane dealers have replaced. We have a group of nearly 100 members who have taken up the cause with Toyota... you can join the group on Facebook... Melting Dashboard Toyota in Australia.

• 2 months later...

I have just been informed that one of my vehicles 2009 Camry Altise has this melting dash problem. I took it to Toyota dealer and they took photos etc. to make claim on Toyota. Told me this claim would take about 2 weeks for reply to come back. Also told me that Toyota have been offering about 75% - 80% coverage of the parts but owner had to pay labour to fit. Does this sound right?

HelenC has most certainly not given up after she got hers fixed! She went on to create a Facebook page dedicated to this problem, and posts every single day. There are over 100 members to the site and one after another is getting FREE replacements once we all banded together. Go over to Facebook and request to join the page : Melting Dashboards in Toyota Cars Australia.... and join the fun. ANYONE Experiencing melting dashboards should go join and read all the posts to get the same success.

• Thanks 1

HelenC has most certainly not given up after she got hers fixed! She went on to create a Facebook page dedicated to this problem, and posts every single day.

this thread

Thank you, Phae. You were a wonderful help in getting this through. Yes, I had my dash replaced free of charge and, as Phae said, started a Facebook page (originally just a chat page, but it kept growing, and I decided to leave it open to support others after mine was replaced). Plenty have been replaced free of charge, some are waiting to be done. TMCA has come to the party, done the right thing, and also refunded the payment for some dashboards that were replaced at a cost. It is a win/win situation for all of us. I sold the old Aurion, and bought a 2014. Love it. Faith restored. Toyota number 5 now. :)

• Like 3

I tried giving TMCA a call this morning, asking about the options of the sticky and melting dashboard for my Oct 2006 ACV40R Camry. The service agent told me that there are no outstanding LSC or other recalls on my car based on the VIN and referred me to the nearest dealer. Outcome from calling my nearest dealer was the suggestion to put a dashboard carpet to get rid of looking at the greasy and melting dashboard. Any suggested SOP regarding lodging a warranty request on this in Sydney? Thanks all.

Don't put a dash mat on it. You will probably never get it off without removing a layer of your dash. Band aid solution. If you join the Facebook page, you will get help as to how to approach this. There is no recall, but there are plenty of us who have had our cars fixed, free, and a loan car in the interim. Best wishes.