steering wheel shaking bad at 100km/h

TiiCee

ever since i have fitted my secondhand wheels( 17" 225 front , 235 rear) on my gen4 , i have noticed that when i drive on the freeway , when the speedometre reaches around 100km/h my sterring wheel shakes like no tomorrow , so i bought it into my nearest tyre shop , had 4 brand new tyres fitted and balanced , but the problem still exist !!! i need help trouble shooting , its so annoying and uncomfy driving the car when the steering wheel shakes. anyone know the problem to it ?

Alignment .?

my allighnement is a little off , i need to get that done up when i have time. but i dont think its allighnment problem. as my fd2 civic allighnment is off as well , but no shaking poblem on that car.

or wheels not balance properly

when i went to change tyres like 2 months ago , pretty sure beau repairs would of had it balanced it properly for me. unless they did a dodgey balancing job ???

Might need rim/hub centre caps (these sit on the back of the rim and on the wheel hub) or On car balance done may be required..

my front wheels dont have rim centre caps , well , 3/4 didnt have caps.

my allighnement is a little off , i need to get that done up when i have time. but i dont think its allighnment problem. as my fd2 civic allighnment is off as well , but no shaking poblem on that car.

There are a lot of alignment variables, just because one car is "out of alignment" doesn't mean it will behave exactly the same as another one. A car with excessive but even toe-out will feel different to one with excessive but even toe-in, and both will be completely different to one with mis-matched alignments left to right.
  • Like 1

Did these rims come with hub centric rings?

no idea , how to check ?

Wheel balances and alignments are my bet. What do your wheel alignment report say?

no idea , i'm a noob , i dont understand that stuff.

The ring is located inside the rim, which holds it in place or aligns it to your hub to stop vibration .

Have you had a full wheel alignment with all wheel balance checked?

when i put on the wheels , i had an all alignment done , but then the beau repairs told me my front tyres were bald , so i changed to news tyres , balanced and fitted . does that count ?

still shakes ! should i still bring it in for another wheel balance and allighnment ? or just go to beau and tell my problems and act from there?

I had a camry many moons ago and went through the same thing, turned out to be the brake rotors were badly warped and this was the cause after trying alignments/balancing etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a camry many moons ago and went through the same thing, turned out to be the brake rotors were badly warped and this was the cause after trying alignments/balancing etc.

wow , thanks rob , just made my life easier. i'll look into it . :D

i decided to put the stock factory wheels on, and problem gone , car handles comfortably , so i guess it was the 2ndhand wheels that i bought had problems. so yeah, problem fixed.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem right now on my 2007 Toyota Aurion Sportivo SX6.

I had stocks on my Aurion previously and got sick of them soo decided to get a set of 20's. Everything was fine upon fitting my 20's, tested them out and seemed fine.

Although i did notice a very slight shaking through the wheel between 90 - 100km which i didn't have with my stocks. My Aurion was also pulling to the left a fair bit, but i had that same problem with my stocks.

So i decided that it was time to get all four wheels balanced and aligned, i called around and at the time Kmart Tyre and Auto was the cheapest so i decided to go with them.

Had the wheels balanced and aligned and picked my Aurion up 2 hours later. Was driving my Aurion home and everything felt good...i have a pretty decent Focal Sound System soo had the music blasting on the way home.

Had the kids in the car the next day soo i had my subs turned off and music down when i noticed coming from my front right wheel, there was a ticking sound.

Anyway to cut an extremely long story short i took her back to Kmart Tyre and Auto and they continued to tell me it was because of the stones in my tread.

Had them take all the stones out, drove my Aurion home and still making ticking. Called em up and they said oh yeah it's probably just stones as i have a gravel drive way.

Was on my way home from work when i heard the ticking louder than ever and then something shot off my wheel and came under the chassis of my car, after this my steering started to shake at 90-100km again.

Had a look when i got home and was missing a wheel weight. Called Kmart Tyre and Auto and they said bring your car in and we will re-balance the wheels.

They did that, i got my car back and now i have an extremely bad shaking between 100-110km which i never had before taking her to Kmart Tyre and Auto **** GREAT!

Am taking my Aurion back to them tomorrow and if they can't fix the problem than car is going to BOB JANE T MART who is actually cheaper by $20.00!

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not meant to have two different sets of wheels on. Your car is not set up for that combination. Go back to the original rim. Sorry that is all i could advise to you.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not meant to have two different sets of wheels on. Your car is not set up for that combination. Go back to the original rim. Sorry that is all i could advise to you.

so what wheel combination is good for my car ? i really like wide profile tires though .

There's nothing wrong with having different size tyres/wheels front-to-rear, unless you have a 4WD car. As long as each the tyres on each axle are the same (ie front left is the same as front right) it's fine.

Staggered widths/offsets are more common (and more purposeful) on RWD cars, but it wouldn't cause vibration or steering problems on a FWD (handling might not be perfect though).