AE112R Levin: From Stock to Eternity

roulade

washed1.jpg

ok so this is my 2000 Corolla Levin which is as stock as it was when it rolled out of Takaoka except someone has:

a. replaced the factory CD player with a radio-only Pioneer SuperTuner;
b. put a no-name sub in the (admittedly massive) boot and put tweeters on the inside of where the wing mirrors are that do nothing but vibrate loudly;
c. sprayed all of the badging gold.

badging1.jpg
badging2.jpgbadging3.jpg

plans for the rest of the year are:

-respray the roof and spoiler seeing as they really copped it during that hailstorm a few years ago and the clearcoat is not having a great time of it (#perth)
-a head unit that can handle compact discs and then probably 2x pioneer 6" in the front doors and 2x 6x9" in the parcel shelf;
-new/different springs (not going coilovers though);
-rolling the rear guards;
-obtaining some dish;
-swapping the aerial over for a small one;
-LEDs behind the dash.

-sporitvo spoiler risers would be good if i ever see any pop up anywhere.

(since that first photo was taken there is now a dashmat)

Edited by roulade

the quest for dish:

the current Levin rims are 14x5.5 at +45:

stock_rim_specs.jpg

ideally looking for something in 15x7 with whatever offset works in terms of them not poking out past the guards yet still being on a strong look.

would love to go gold Rota Aleica (Hayashi Yayoi[/sakura] knock-offs) in 15x8 but with the available offsets i don't think it's going to happen.

currently thinking Enkei 92 or RPF1 in gold or Rota Grid Classic in white. Hayashi Streets or Rota Shakotans in stock/silver would be cool but the budget and available offests in those too options is prohibitive.

Sell me your grille? :P lol

I'll Photoshop the wheels if you want when I have time!

Looks pretty clean as well nice job!

Sell me your grille? :P lol

ha! i reckon you'll have an easier time getting hold of a levin grille than i will sportivo risers.

yeah photoshopping the wheels would be cool when you have a sec at some point, here's a side-on photo as i'm guessing that makes it a fair bit easier? as you can see though it's on a bit of an angle. also, looks like i weirdly had the flash on but it's just a coincidence with the sun.

washed2.jpg

Swap the risers for the grille? JOKES! NEVER! :P HAHA

No worries man, ill try and do it during the week and ill pm you the results haha what rims do you want me to Photoshop? Give me a list lol

emotional rollercoaster morning: the Enkei 2013 catalogue suggests RPF1 only happens in gold at 18" but it turns out some MX5-centric place in America managed to get hold of a bunch in 14" and 15".

$321.51 for shipping to Australia a bit of a downer though...

the bigg dogg Jaay has been kind enough to photoshop some potential realities in terms of wheels and lowering.

the car as it is now:
washed2.jpg

Enkei 92:
jaay_enkei92.jpg

Enkei RPF1:
jaay_enkeirpf1.jpg

Rota Grid Classic:
jaay_gridclassic.jpg

my pick is def the Enkei 92. wasn't sure if it would work but definitely into how it looks here. don't think the AE112 is mean enough for the RPF1 though unforcho.

keen to hear what anyone else may think.

thanks Jaay!

RPF1s are the sort of wheel that never seem to look good in Photoshops etc (too "flat" and thin-spoked), but see them in real life and they are an awesome wheel.

Nice car mate i love that colour, you know if i would of found one in that colour , the idea was always to find a chunky 5 spoke and paint the wheels grey as opposed to silver, but where talking 18's with it dropped. Its just that colour mmmm love it. Id go the rota grid classic

whoah ok yeah those are pretty good. thanks mate.

el donkey, i see where you're coming from but don't think i could pump up the jam to that extent. going to be white or gold and 15" or maybe even (get ready) 14".

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note hey there i'm vinh, nice to know there are some perth boys getting in on the ae112. =] On another note these are my rims that i got for my ae112 sedan ascent.

2ln8mrs.jpg

I also scored a bargain of a guy who originally owned an ae112r sportivo limited edition model. The TR bodykit for $250 all painted in gold..... where is my car is white. The kit's been sitting in my backyard for a solid 6 months and I haven't had enough money to paint and fit it after purchasing the rims and coilovers.

We should meetup sometime and talk about or ideas/customization we want to do.

P.S. today i saw a levin and i was hellllll jealous the fact that it had dual disc brakes where as my ascent has only front disc brakes =[ I want a convert to dual disc brakes so badly.

nice one, i'm leaning more and more towards mesh as well when i eventually get stuck in on the wheels and tyres (although can't get RPF1s off my mind at the moment).

so yours is a sedan? do the sportivo skirts, etc fit on it? in which case does that mean you'd probably wanna hang on to all the sportivo stuff except the risers/spoiler...? will pm you about this.

yeah have seen a few ae112 (liftback though) that people have put effort into around perth. there's a guy in/around bull creek with a levin the same colour as mine who has this giant LEVIN EURO decal done up and splashed across the doors. some guy out the front of my work the other week in a white first gen with the skirts and factory sport rims and some sega rally-ish decals up the back. but then also there was a guy selling a car on gumtree (and i saw it parked in west perth until it sold on gumtree) with a first gen in the same colour as mine, with skirts and... both a levin badge and an ultima badge

search for "ae112 corolla" on facebook, the page is starting to get a bit more active lately.

planning on changing the bulbs behind the dash with some LEDs sometime soon.

the main bit is tinted orange so i'm going to put white bulbs in so at least it's a bright orange rather than a hard-to-read orange:

dash.jpg

i think the sub-sections off to either side (ABS, seatbelt, handbrake, etc) are their own bulbs so might cut sick on a fruity miami/LA 80s sunset tip:

dash_bulbs.jpg

Edited by roulade

ahaha i like your idea, i've been having the same idea for a while but a bit too chicken with ripping out my instrument cluster and replacing them with white LED's

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-Corolla-98-01-AE111-AE112-Dash-Cluster-White-LED-Light-Upgrade-Kit-/181084639524?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&fits=Plat_Gen%3AAE112&hash=item2a297c5124&_uhb=1#ht_1702wt_1037

I've been eyeing these for ages, but never really bought them yet.

• 2 weeks later...

got the car back from getting the roof and spoiler resprayed today. combination of age and hail damage had the clearcoat peeling back like there was no tomorrow. also fitted a CDM fake TRD aerial from eBay:

spoiler.jpg

aerial2.jpg

massive thanks to Joe at Distinctive Smash Repairs in Osborne Park

distinctive.jpg

Edited by roulade