Is it the Battery or the Radio??

melb_echo

Hi all,

My radio is forgetting all its presets. Even after programming them in multiple times, the radio forgets them the next time I get in the car.

Is it the battery that's dying or the radio?

I don't have any trouble with starting the car. The battery is about 4 or 5 years old.

Cheers

Chris

Probably the battery,

Any problems starting the car ?

Nopes, no probs starting the car.

How much would a battery cost? Do I just buy the ones I see in Kmart?

• 1 month later...

Is it a stock radio or after market?
Head units have 2 power wires going into them, one from accessories so you have to turn the key to turn it on then a constant 12v from the battery.

This keeps power to the head unit while its off so it remembers all your pre sets.

My guess is you've lost your constant connection and only have an accessory power wire running to it

Is it a stock radio or after market?

It's a stock one. How would I check the constant connection wire? It doesnt look particulary removable for me to check the wire connections (presumably in the back of the unit).

Does the clock on the headunit reset itself every time you start the car? If it does then it may be that your constant connection is faulty. In regards to battery, they will set you back roughly $80-$120 depending on the size of battery your car needs and of course what brand you decide to buy as well. Though if your car is starting fine, I don't think that it's the battery affecting your presets.

Maybe your unit has developed a fault over the years.

• 1 month later...

Does the clock on the headunit reset itself every time you start the car? If it does then it may be that your constant connection is faulty. In regards to battery, they will set you back roughly $80-$120 depending on the size of battery your car needs and of course what brand you decide to buy as well. Though if your car is starting fine, I don't think that it's the battery affecting your presets.

Maybe your unit has developed a fault over the years.

I am totally agree with you. You are 100% good here that In regards to battery, they will set you back roughly $80-$120 depending on the size of battery your car needs and of course what brand you decide to buy as well.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info on batteries guys.

Looks like its most likely the headunit is bung. It's 11 years old afterall. I unplugged and replugged the connection to the unit to make sure it was secure, and it didnt help. Time to go buy a new one.