Range - Distant To Empty

aem

Hi all, yesterday by car fuel warning light did not light up till 30Km left on the Range.

I know the indicator is not 100% but yeh 30Km is very far off. Normally it's 50Km.

Has it happen to anyone else?

Btw the camry drinks like crazy and i'm left to feel insured about the reading.

The range varies the way you drive and I is calculated based on Number of L/100KM.

My average is 12L/100KM so if I take 70L (Full Tank) divide that by 12L = 5.834L * 100KM = 583.4KM.

---

Camry is a heavy car so the engine has to work more compared to say a Corolla - driving close distance increases the fuel consumption (stop/start traffic). More occupants = more work for the engine due to heavier wait so can increase the fuel efficiency again. And then you can calculate all these other factors in.

Based on NRMA's 1000KM testing, they did confirm the average for city driving is 11-14KM. Toyota's 9.9L/100KM is the average of both Highway driving and City driving. You can read their findings here.

If you're really looking for a car with low consumption you should be looking at a Corolla :)

you shouldnt really leave the tank that low .

theres a thread somewhere stating it is harmful to the car ,and can damage fuel components.

i will try and dig it up

The car feels light and quick off the mark so it's not weight that is causing it to drink i don't think, rather the the 2.4L displacement, big engine drink more.

If it's 100km i don't usually fill up but before i know it it's down to 30km.

The "don't let fuel go too low" sounds like load of bull. Keeping tank half/full all the time will actually increase your consumption due to weight. I drive 2007 model, CITY only with 2 occupants always. I started tracking my fuel ups for a while using FUELLY so you can check my stats in the link: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/distress/camry

That should give you a comparison to pure HIGHWAY and HALF/HALF. The fuel light is actually random. For best reading stop on even flat road that way it will give you correct reading. My street parking is on a slope so mine always comes on with too many KM still to go.

Edited by Distress

Your numbers are pretty much what i get if not they are a tiny bit better than mine. Although are you using E10 or 95/98 fuel?

What about the models after 2007, they say fuel economy has been improved for those post 2007 cars.

Edited by aem

The figures for Gen 6 and Gen 6.5 are the exact same. However the gen 7 has an average fuel consumption of 7.8L, I haven't seen any real life figures yet but I'm sure you can ask someone :)

Also our sportivo range is slightly heavier compared to other camry's due to a variety of extra sports features.

I (like Distres) also do city driving with 2 occupants and drive 40-50kms every day and get about the same figures that he gets.

They are not, the MY10 (released in 2009) is an upgrade to our 2007s which has improved fuel economy at 8.8L. Our Gen 6 is 9.9L. You know it's a gen 6.5 (sportivo) when you see the door having no strip on it. Gen 7 is the new one.

Edited by aem

Your numbers are pretty much what i get if not they are a tiny bit better than mine. Although are you using E10 or 95/98 fuel?

What about the models after 2007, they say fuel economy has been improved for those post 2007 cars.

90% of fuel ups are Coles/Shell Unleaded which is honest pretty much same as E10. I personally prefer Woolworths/Caltex true unleaded which IS available next to me. Unfortunate due to abundance of free Coles vouchers I never get to fill it up.

I am no fuel expert so take this with grain of salt but pumps are as so for Coles:

Unleaded - May contain up to 10% ethanol.

E10 - Contains 10% ethanol.

Woolworth:

Unleaded Contains up to 5% ethanol.

I am no fuel expert so take this with grain of salt but pumps are as so for Coles:

Unleaded - May contain up to 10% ethanol.

E10 - Contains 10% ethanol.

Woolworth:

Unleaded Contains up to 5% ethanol.

NSW is different to Victoria (where thtupid is from) - practically all service stations in NSW have to sell 91 E10 instead of normal 91 Unleaded (the Government introduced legislation stating that ethanol has to make up a minimum percentage of sales), so much so that most sites now just say 91 Unleaded and then in small print afterwards "E10" or "with ethanol" or "Contains up to 10% ethanol" or the like.

NSW 6% total sale ethanol mandate

Also, anything labelled E10 in NSW has to contain between 9% and 10% ethanol. There is also a difference between plain E10 (which is ~94 RON) and 91 E10 (which is obviously minimum 91 RON)

well that sucks. If I fill up with BP I may as well just start using 95 from now on...or is that 10% ethanol too? And BP doesn't have the discounts (although coles seem to be 1-2 cents more expensive anyway so it's kinda cheaper by 2 cents really) I don't get why greenies are so obsessed with "biofuels". It ruins the environment and uses our food source to burn...oh well. I hate you coles!

well that sucks. If I fill up with BP I may as well just start using 95 from now on...or is that 10% ethanol too? And BP doesn't have the discounts (although coles seem to be 1-2 cents more expensive anyway so it's kinda cheaper by 2 cents really) I don't get why greenies are so obsessed with "biofuels". It ruins the environment and uses our food source to burn...oh well. I hate you coles!

95RON premium unleaded from all the major retailers (Caltex, Shell, BP etc) does not contain ethanol. As for "using our food sources" and "ruining the environment", ethanol for fuel usage in Australia is derived from the waste products of the sugarcane (molasses) and livestock grain feed (sorghum) industries in NSW and QLD, waste products that would otherwise be burnt or dumped.