AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Defyant

Easy DIY instrument cluster colour change

10 posts in this topic

Thought i'd post this up. This mod was done to an 08 Aurion but may work for other model cars as well.

It's a cheap simlpe non invasive reversable way to customise your dash colours. With out the need for soldering LED's

While LED soldering is still a very low skill level of modding not a lot of ppl are comfortable taking a iron to their beloved dashes.

This method/guide makes for a much easier way with a low cost of materials for almost as pro look as LED replacement.

I had originally wanted to change the LED's in my dash. (like i had done to my iload) But upon opening it up i seen that i could not get the dash to be multicoloured without extreme bleed.

It's a bit more crafty skills than electronic or LED modding.

As you can see here our AU dash is a bore.... cold and non enguaging.

2007_Toyota_Aurion_Prodigy_08.jpg

The new look dash. Not for everyone i know.

IMG_2354.jpg

I used simple A4 coloured plastic folders from the local Bargain shop. cost was around 2bux all up.

I picked a bunch of different colours to cover as many combo's as i could.

1.jpg

The next thing i did to help out was to build a temp mini back lit light desk. This gives a better idea of the end result.

IMG_2328.jpg

IMG_2321.jpg

Dash out and strip down.

2.jpg

3.jpg

You can see a diffusers plate, this simply catches the light and spreads it evenly though this section.

4.jpg

Time to experiment. As you can see simply slipping a different colour behind the dash plate creates a brand new colour.

Your pretty much only limited buy your imagination.

7.jpg

8.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

To create a multi coloured dash just cut and butt join different coloured plastic.

The best (reversable way) to hold the plastic inplace is with small tabs of normal clear selotape.

You only need to keep the plastic inserts held in place untill the dash is clamped back together.
Then the new inserts will stay inplace.

IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

Using the same method is multi coloured the Fuel and temp Guages as well.

IMG_2331.jpg

Fitted up and back in the car.

IMG_2354.jpg

IMG_2358.jpg

21.jpg

2 people like this

looks good! great idea

Nice. Only when they have white LEDs... Stupid corolla sportivo dash lights are red LEDs AND the backing on the face is red too. Fail -_-

Well was half way installing my angel eyes today. When the sky opened up. This looked like a good rain day exercise so.

This is my crack

post-33395-0-51084100-1378993597_thumb.j

I think I'll have another go when there is another excuse to rip the cluster out

Ps be careful on how many layer of plastic. I had to go a bit thick on the blue and the dials stuck a bit. But some precision filing sorted her.

I wish you could somehow change the colour of the blue part of the clusters on these :( I just want a simple white, but it looks like its not possible without starting from scratch

Yeah that would be nice in the trooper!

It's nice being able to have a play around with the colours tho :)

Didn't like it!

This much better I think

Right up shadow's ally this one haha

post-33395-0-47370700-1379061795_thumb.j

WOW Drew! that's v'nice combo....... it's got me thinking again :P

Cost me a trip to the wreckers this one haha

Ill give ya a buzz later man. Amy on nights and I got to get this little **** to sleep.

Double dose of Panadol coming on...

Kidding!

Kidding!

Bringing this thread back from the dead, have you got any steps / instructions for removing the instrument cluster?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By aussieboy
      Hi there Toyota owners,
      Would like some help replacing the aircon/heater controls in my car.
      The hot/cold ratchet in the centre has had its gear teeth stripped over the years.
      I pulled the entire module out and there seem to be all electrical connectors except 3 which are mechanical wires.
      One controls the the fresh/recirculate while the other 2 go to the hot/cold rachet.

In order to replace the module, I need to know how to disconnect the 2 mechanical wires that go to the hot/cold rachet.
      Or i need to know where these wires go to in the engine bay, so i can disconnect them there.

Thankyou very much for your assistance.
      Let me know if you need any more information and I will be more than willing to provide.
      Here is an image of what the control module looks like, for reference.

Regards,
      Aussieboy
    • By MY22ZZ
      Hi all, here is a quick run through of my Corolla Spotivo 2005 model.
      Heres a few details
      2005 Toyota Corolla Sportivo 5Y
      Purchased January 2012 with 110XXX on the clock
      Black Mica
      Stock standard apart from lowered on king springs lows
      MODS TO DATE:
      Injen Cold Air Intake with Injen Pod
      DIY red climate control
      DIY red brake calipers
      DIY JDM taillight mod
      Future Mods:
      CES or Varex Exhaust system 2.5’ from cat back
      3A racing pod
      Tein Coilovers or S-tech Springs
      DIY red headunit lights to match dash and climate control
      Red COROLLA illuminated door sills
      Celica engine cover
      Federal 595ss
      TRD sway bar
      Phillips crystal vision globes
      New floor mats
      New gear knob
      Red stitch gear boot
      Red stitch leather arm rest
      Sports pedals
      Sound system (nothing over the top)
      BBS RS 16x8 +20 offset
      The Day i bought it :D

Its first day at home

New speakers, Kenwood 3 way speakers :)

Just a small photo shoot

INJEN ARRIVED!!!

DIY Red Brake calipers, only took around 3 hours!

Just another weekly wash

JDM Taillight mod

and thats all so far :)
      thanks for looking
    • By phatYRs
      hi everyone, just wanted to spred the word about the DIY topic LED door handle install,
      while the DIY post (its on this site, just search DIY LED install) explains in great detail how to attach the lights it gives no real explanation on how to wire them.
      i have a 2010 YRS sedan and after much testing, asking and yelling i finally figured out how to do it (insert face palm lol)
      the dome light has 3 wires going to it.
      i found a full yaris wiring diagram here http://www.scribd.co...ecret_password=
      a blue one=constant power
      a white and black one=earth
      and a purple one=power switching
      once you have installed the lights in each door and ran the wires to the B pillar, you need to run a power wire from the battery (with a fuse installed as well) and splice the power wire for each LED to this power wire.
      once this is done connect each earth wire from the LED's to the purple wire (power switching) and hey presto!!!!
      all done here's some pics
    • By VIPZR6
      Ever wanted to have a completely black diffuser on your Aurion, but not sure about the best way to go about it? Here is one option for you to try out if you've got a spare couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon and want something fairly cruisy to do.
      Total time to allow for - 2hours max (depending on humidity, conditions)
      Difficulty - Easy
      Firstly, gather all the supplies;
      - Painters Masking tape
      - Newspaper (or something similar to mask up the back of the car with
      - 150-300 Grit sandpaper
      - Prepsol/Wax & Grease remover and a rag
      - 3M/K&H ACRYLIC Primer Grey
      - 3M ACRYLIC Bumper Black

Then proceed to start masking up the back of the car around the diffuser. Depending on the environment your doing it in will depend where you want to be more or less liberal on this (wind etc can cause an upspray, possibly ending up on the boot/lights)

Start by sanding the coloured part back with 150grit sandpaper. In my case because of the finish I was after I didnt bother sanding with any higher grades. Obviously if you were after a glossy finish you would continue up. Then proceed to wipe the excess dust off with a rag and give it a quick rub with prepsol to remove any remaining road grime etc
      Proceed to applying the first coat of Primer Grey. I ended up doing 3 initial light coats followed by a final heavier coat. leave 5 minute intervals between coats, or until it is completely dry (which wont take long)

Once the final coat has been left for 45mins-1hr, proceed with applying the first coat of Bumper Black. Again, because of the finish I was chasing I didnt bother to sand back the primer at all at this point.
      After about 3-4 coats this is the result you will start to see. Because of the nature of the bumper black, it sprays on very thick, and leaves a texture if you don't rub it back, which is what I was after.

After the final coat has been applied, proceed to carefully pull your masking off, and you will be left with something similar to this. Much cleaner!