5L non turbo blowing black smoke

98sr5

Hi all, new here!, just trying to find the correct method to correct my annoying problem.

I have a 1998 sr5 dual cab 4x4 with a 5l non turbo in it. everything has been maintained to the the highest standard, although recently it has started to puff black smoke when under load in 2nd and 3rd gear.Not all that much but enough to have me paranoid. I know these motors are quite dirty and i should allow for alittle smoke now and then under heavy conditions, but under acceleration with an empty tub, it seems to blow smoke.

Its just hit 300,000

its just had a fresh aircleaner and fuel filter at service.

I have used some injector cleaner as a quick solution , but it hasn't done the job.

I'm expecting either injectors or fuel pump to be on there way out. Just wondering if there has been anybody else with similar issuses and whats the best way about resolving it.

Any information regarding this topic would be greatly appreciated

Cheers Sam

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm new here but I notice there are a lot of unanswered questions throughout the forum. Surprises me a bit. I thought there were millions of Hilux owners in Aus :unsure:

Anyways, Black smoke in a diesel under load is usually a sign of over fuelling. Fuel pump might need calibrating. Could also be dirty injectors. I'm only brand new to Toyotas but have and still do have Diesel Nissans old and newish.

Cheers Ric