Effect of Eco Mode on Economy of 2012 Camry Hybrid H

Dazzling_Darryl

Some of you may be interested in the result of my experiment with the eco mode button in my 2012 Hybrid H.

I turned it off at my last fill about a week ago. I have since done approximately 600 kms of roughly 50/50 highway/city driving (which is similar to my normal usage)

The Hybrid's economy the way I drive it, seems to be much the same on the highway as around town anyway.

The car definitely feels more responsive with it off. A few times I have unintentionally screeched the tyres when taking off (whoops) and a couple of other times said "Oh S***" to myself at the unexpected acceleration...

Anyway, it looks like the extra response costs me between .5 and .6 LPH (so roughly 5 litres per tank full or $7.50 at current prices) 6.3 LPH versus 5.7 LPH

The amount of kilometres I do that is up to $300 a year.

Being a tight ar*e, I think I'll put eco mode back on.

Edited by Dazzling_Darryl
  • Like 1

Hi Daz,

Sounds like you're using the big accelerator movements that you are accustomed to using with ECO, where the setting compensates for the movement. It is possible to drive it with a very light foot without Eco on, to the point where fuel consumption difference is negligible. This applies to my motoring, which is biased towards highway running. Continual city use is possibly another story.

We have ECO off all the time, and A/C on all the time. Currently averaging 6.0 including all the 1 km hops around the village that destroy fuel consumption. Besides if I left ECO on when Mrs.coolscan took it to town she'd probably take it to the dealer and complain of the loss of power - I don't think she knows it has an ECO switch, let alone what it does.

Regards, coolscan.

• Like 1

Home to city is 45km.Trip in usually starts with depleted battery and cold engine. It is also against the prevailing breeze. Typically we record 5.8 to 6.2 (indicated) depending on wind strength. The return trip with the breeze and starting with charged battery and warm engine returns 4.9 to 5.6 typically. This is ECO off and A/Con at 25C.

I have done this trip several times with ECO on, and remain unconvinced that it made any real difference. I suspect the best gains from ECO would be in suburban commuting, but I don't do enough of that to form an opinion. If there were no short 1km hops around the village, I think we'd be averaging about 5.7, Which is about what we get on intercity runs.

Rain is hard on economy, as one would expect. Slower speeds boost economy considerably.

All in all, I'm happy with our economy and like that instant acceleration available - so I'll leave ECO off.

incidentally, I think the 0W-20 oil is good for about 0.2 L/100km over the 10W-30 that was in before. At current prices, that's about $90 worth of fuel service to service.

Regards, David.

Thanks for the info David,

I have noticed also that head winds and the extra rolling resistance caused by wet roads affects economy a bit (and short trips from a cold start of course)

Tassie is generally pretty hilly compared to South Australia and most of the Capital Cities. This obviously doesn't help me either.

But, like you, I am happy with my 5.7 L/100km.

Surprised to find switching back to ECO after a week with it off not too much of a difference power wise.

Cheers,

Dazz

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

Just having a browse and notice you guys are driving the Camry Hybrid (obviously) love the car by the way and averaging 5.7LPH, this is from what I understand, both highway and around town???

I drive a Aurion (for those that don't know it's a V6) and I average 6.6LPH on highway and depending on my mood, between 7.5 and 9.7 around town, which is pretty good for a V6 and a 22 year old.

My questions are:

There isn't much difference in fuel consumption highway driving, so is it really worth my while changing?

Does it have much power?

Obviously it's a 4 not a six but still, is it gutless?

The reason I'm asking is pretty much, don't know if I should get the Camry Hybrid or Aurion...

If it's got descent power with descent fuel economy like the Aurion maybe I should...

Thanks Guys/Girls

Hi Geoff,

If you had a good drive of a Camry Hybrid (current Model) I think you would be amazed how well they go (definitely not gutless) I have replaced mine in the last 5 months with a Holden Calais V with a 210 KW V6 motor and was surprised that it doesn't really feel measurably quicker than my Hybrid H.

I was seduced by the Interior and exterior styling of the V and the extra goodies like heads display. But, I would now rate the two cars about equal and will always remember my Hybrid H fondly.

I think the H is better than the HL in a couple of areas, namely nicer ride and a bit quieter due to higher profile tyres.

I may very well have another Toyota Hybrid at some time in the future!

Hi folks,

Have just this week been Mackay to Cairns and return. A/C at 24 degrees, ECO off as usual, all speed limits observed (no areas are over 100 kph and areas through towns and roadworks are slower - these slower areas improve the hybrid's fuel consumption).

Averaged about 5.6 l/100km calculated. Very little wind either way. Still averaging 6.0 indicated overall, probably 6.3 in reality.

For highway overtaking think V6 power. It is more than adequate - this from someone whose last car was a 2.2 twin turbo diesel with 400nm of torque.

My only complaint is the firm ride on 55 profile tyres. Try the H with 60 profile. At 82,000 km it has no rattles or squeaks and has been totally reliable and trouble-free, and with the first 5 services at $130 each, very cheap to run. Wears its tyres evenly, and holds its alignment well.

Regards, coolscan.

Hi All, I head over to Melb (from Adelaide) a fair bit. I primarily use Eco mode and around town average 5.3. Over to Melb I average 5.8. I drove over last time with Eco off and man, can she boogie...! I ended up with an average of 5.9, so was wrapped. I keep Eco on around town, as I have forgotten a few times and squeezed on takeoff from the lights...! I'm about to do a 5,500 k round trip to QLD in a couple of weeks, so will update my consumption if anyone is interested. Cheers, Corey.

• Like 1