Buying a Used 2006 Aurion Sportivo

Hi guys,

I've been looking for some help regarding purchasing a Used Car. I'm currently looking at a 2006 Toyota Aurion SX6 with 196,000km on the clock for $9,000 and I was wondering if there are any issues I should be looking out for, Mechanically and Cosmetically?

I'm aware of the Driverside Power window call back which hasn't been adressed with this car but is there anything else I need to consider before I fork over the cash?

What do I have to look foward to at nearly 200,000kms?

any advice you might have would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have owned an Aurion before (2009) and it was a fantastic car which is why I want another.

Also I aplogise if I've used this thread incorrectly, I'm not 100% on Forum etiquette.

Be aware of any abnormal sounds(clacking) upon starting, could be as a result of a VVT-i issue. Check to see if appropriate upgrades have been completed in regards to the VVT-i oil line as well.

^ as above, you should check for 'VVT-i rattle'. I've done 110k km on my aurion sx6 and it started appear at around 80k km. It's a known issue and if you do a search of this forum there is a thread on this rattle. You could do an engine oil change to get rid of temporarily, but it didn't work for me unfortunately.

Mine makes the rattle noise after letting my car rest for a few hours, even up to 6 hours after first drive, on start up i get the rattle.

its not supposed to do any damage to the engine but its not a pleasant sound to hear..

To rectify the issue outside of warranty is a costly exercise as it requires dropping the engine. can cost roughly up to $3k for the job (inc labour and parts). I haven't bothered with mine, and its still running strong.

Edited by the drake

so I took it for a test drive today and there are gaps in the service records :( and nothing from 150k up unto its current km's

I have a question about the VVT-i Rattle. is it only on start up or is it a consistent noise whilst driving? This car had a rattle that grew louder with acceleration, was pretty horrible. I never experienced it with my 2009 model.

Thanks for the advice

so I took it for a test drive today and there are gaps in the service records :( and nothing from 150k up unto its current km's

I have a question about the VVT-i Rattle. is it only on start up or is it a consistent noise whilst driving? This car had a rattle that grew louder with acceleration, was pretty horrible. I never experienced it with my 2009 model.

Thanks for the advice

Yeah, I would get an RACV/NRMA check or something on it, or take it to a reputable mechanic before handing any money over.

If the said rattle is coming from the engine, lots of money to be spent lies ahead (judging as to why it was so cheap in the first place)

Edited by VIPZR6

the rattle is only at start up and lasts for 1-2 seconds..not long at all but it is quite noticeable so you won't miss it

are you confusing the rattling with piston slap? I believe piston slap is quite normal for the 2GR-FE, though it is not as audible compared to a diesel.

I find that when the engine is cool, the piston slap is more audible which probably is due to low oil temperature. As the engine warms up and hence the oil as well, the engine will run smoother due to better lubrication. I'm no mechanic so correct me if i'm wrong..

the rattle is only at start up and lasts for 1-2 seconds..not long at all but it is quite noticeable so you won't miss it

are you confusing the rattling with piston slap? I believe piston slap is quite normal for the 2GR-FE, though it is not as audible compared to a diesel.

I find that when the engine is cool, the piston slap is more audible which probably is due to low oil temperature. As the engine warms up and hence the oil as well, the engine will run smoother due to better lubrication. I'm no mechanic so correct me if i'm wrong..

Piston slap would be highly unlikely, realistically the engine should not have that much wear, even considering those kms. Could potentially be a timing chain/tensioner issue.

I would strongly advise against purchasing that vehicle.

Hi guys,

I've been looking for some help regarding purchasing a Used Car. I'm currently looking at a 2006 Toyota Aurion SX6 with 196,000km on the clock for $9,000 and I was wondering if there are any issues I should be looking out for, Mechanically and Cosmetically?

I'm aware of the Driverside Power window call back which hasn't been adressed with this car but is there anything else I need to consider before I fork over the cash?

What do I have to look foward to at nearly 200,000kms?

any advice you might have would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have owned an Aurion before (2009) and it was a fantastic car which is why I want another.

Also I aplogise if I've used this thread incorrectly, I'm not 100% on Forum etiquette.

Hey dude I have a 2006 ZR6 with 74K km's which I'm about to sell

PM me if you want a squizzy or have any questions ..... I also live in the ACT

Hi guys,.

Hey dude I have a 2006 ZR6 with 74K km's which I'm about to sell

PM me if you want a squizzy or have any questions ..... I also live in the ACT

Oh sweet! What are you hoping to get for it? To save wasting your time my budget is limited to 12k at the moment. Im sure you could get much more.