oil cooler lines..it can rupture.

bisdake

Kluger MY 2008-2011. Beware that oil cooler of our vehicle has that rubber type of lines. This could lead to massive oil leak if ruptured. It may be strong by design.

But rubber vs metal?

I will get mine replaced with metal.

Hi

I have a 2007 Kluger KX-S AWD.

A couple of months ago the rubber hose that makes the 90 degree turn between steel pipes from the sump (guessing the oil pump is behind this) to the oil cooler started dumping oil.

I was driving home, just off the freeway and a few kms down the road noticed smoke wafting out from the grill. I got off the road and turned it off. Popped the bonnet and found oil everywhere.

I checked the dipstick and it has a drop of oil on the very bottom below the minimum marker. It was full two days earlier when I checked it on the weekend.

The small rubber host is about 4 inches long and had a tiny pin prick hole. I topped up the oil and started it for a couple of seconds to find out where the leak was coming from and the tiny hold had enough pressure to spray the oil 5 meters over me, the drive way and side fence.

I went back the next day and had a look at the oil trail... Looks like it was going for about a kilometer, so purging oil for around a minute. In that time it dropped about a litre. So if I hadn't noticed, or if it let go when I was on the freeway, I figure it had another minute or two before losing too much oil.

I jumped online and found a few reports of this from the USA where the 3.5L V6 in the Highlander, Avalon and Sienna have had the same problem. According to some horror stories the oil is dumped so fast that by the time the low oil light comes on it's too late and you're engine is toast. Awesome...

So I towed it to Toyota and they told me the rubber hose "should" have been replaced as part of the normal setrvice schedule during the warranty period. I showed them the book where it has been serviced at the same dealier all of its life and asked why it hadn't happened. The service manager back pedelled pretty quick!

Anyway 600 bucks later the rubber was replaced with a steel pipe and problem solved.

There are another two rubber oil hoses at the back of the engine that can cause grief as well. Next service I will be getting those replaced with steel as well just to be safe.

I have a photo of the dodgy hose around somewhere... Will post when I find it.

James

I actually read it as well from US forum. I checked mine it and yes that rubber hose line was there near the oil filter connected to the oil cooler and to the block. I decided to change it myself. Just don't want to take chance or wait for it to do engine damage.

Bought the metal part and gaskets for $210 and spent 2.5hrs changing it.

• 1 year later...

I just read from that US forum. Looks like Toyota Canada step up their game of changing them to all metal oil cooler line. I havent heared anything from Australia.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone visiting this topic regarding the ruptured oil line; I have had mine replaced with a metal line (out of warranty) at no cost. The guy said that there is a factory recall so you should not be paying for the replacement. If you need the recall number PM me.

Cheers

For anyone visiting this topic regarding the ruptured oil line; I have had mine replaced with a metal line (out of warranty) at no cost. The guy said that there is a factory recall so you should not be paying for the replacement. If you need the recall number PM me.

Cheers

I did the replacement myself but I bought the parts from toyota. Wondering if they do reimbursement. If you can send over that recall number please. Thanks

• Like 1

Cheers

I did the replacement myself but I bought the parts from toyota. Wondering if they do reimbursement. If you can send over that recall number please. Thanks

I have it at home; its shows on the service invoice.

I will reply later tonight.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2008 Toyota Kluger Grande AWD with 140000+ on odometer. Today when I was reversing the car in garage I saw some oil for the first time. I opened the bonnet and the engine looked clean so I searched an ended up this forum where you mention about oil leak recall. Can you please provide the details of guide what needs to be done.

Never had any leaks before and car is due for service which I will get soon. I would appreciate your reply.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been through this too, had the failed pipes and paid to have them replaced.

To confirm what is said above: a dealer has also told me this is now a recall and can be claimed for reimbursement.

Info you need is: TNF07/15 or LNF09/15

Good luck to other owners battling this issue, I am glad they finally saw this for the major design flaw it was.

• 4 weeks later...

Just had the same thing happen to my 2008 Kluger. Oil cooler hose burst and not knowing this issue had my local mechanic repair it. A week later it blew again. Mechanic was told by toyota that it needs to be replaced with the metal hose. But guess what? Not replacement hoses available. Maybe a 2 month wait.

WTF Toyota?!? Seriously? A known issue like that that renders the car un-drivable and no replacement parts available?

Thanks Toyota. Never again.

Add this to the list of Intermediate Steering Shaft and the infamous whine at 60kmh and you have a car worth getting rid of as soon as you can. Suspension and turning circle as amazing though ! *not*

• 4 months later...

I just had this happen to me - I've had the car around 6 weeks and this happened on the way home from the local shops. I discovered a massive pool of oil in my driveway.
Clay type kitty litter is your best friend here - hubby sprayed the oil with degreaser and then put the kitty litter on to soak up the oil. Left it a day and it worked a treat.
As for the oil hose, I had the car towed back tot he dealership and they had to liaise with Toyota to arrange the repair to be covered by Toytota themselves. Thank goodness it's all fixed but I shudder to think if this had happened when we were on one of our trips away - 100kms from home.
Be sur to get yours checked and insist on getting it replaced - if they don't want to do it, go in with the possibility of the engine being damaged because of this issue.

• 1 year later...

It happened to me last friday night - 2008 Kluger - thankfully in a public carpark not far from home. 

Toyota have replaced the part "under warranty".  Thankfully I had it towed to the Toyota Dealership as I normally get it serviced at AutoMasters and would no doubt have been slugged for the experience. 

• 11 months later...

I’ve just had my 2007 Toyota Kluger drop all its engine oil on the highway today. 21/10/18

i noticed a smell and pulled over (no warning lights on dash) I saw oil all over the underside of the car and turned the engine off straight away. 

I can’t visually see anything wrong but the oil is coming from near the filter.

From these feeds im certain it’s one of those oil line.

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that I have also had the lower oil cooler pipe on my August 2009 Aurion fail today.  I spotted a trail of oil when we got out of the car, and recognised it for engine oil straight away. Not a chance I'll be able to get it fixed on a Sunday. Not bloody impressed that the recall for these engines in America was halted in 2008 when they changed the design, but continued to install the defective lines in other countries like Australia for years onwards(I've seen one post on here for a 2011 vehicle that still has the rubber type lines installed). I'm concerned that the VVTI line is the same style now as well.

I'll be calling Toyota tomorrrow.  They just replaced the sticky dash on my car, and carried out the recall for the power window switch which hadn't been done before.  It obviously goes to show that the VIN tracking for these vehicles is a total crapfight for Toyota.  I wish I stuck with my little 2000 Echo, that bugger never gave up.

• 3 months later...
On 8/24/2015 at 9:54 AM, Mr Lee said:

Cheers

I’d be interested in this please as my 2008 Grande has just dumped oil. Having it checked today, but a free replacement from Toyota sounds better. Thanks

2009 Kluger Grande, oil pipe erupted this morning. No warning sign just smoke coming out from the engine.

will try and get Toyota to cover the cost.

Thank you guys for your help, this post covers all the info I needed.

Quick update - Toyota Brighton took full responsibility and fixed my car free of charge. They didn’t admit to the recall but I felt that what convinced them was all thanks to the info you guys shared on this thread that helped, for example the recall number.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:26 AM, KelAsh said:

I’d be interested in this please as my 2008 Grande has just dumped oil. Having it checked today, but a free replacement from Toyota sounds better. Thanks

My 2008 Grande just had the same thing happen. Toyota advised because it was over 10 years, the replacement was no longer under warranty/recall. Did they mention this to you or anyone else?

• 2 months later...
On 3/25/2019 at 1:22 PM, MJW said:

My 2008 Grande just had the same thing happen. Toyota advised because it was over 10 years, the replacement was no longer under warranty/recall. Did they mention this to you or anyone else?

My 2008 Kluger had the same problem, earlier this year.  I noticed my car had dumped a lot of oil & I took it to my mechanic.  He immediately recognised the problem & said it was a known issue & rang the Toyota dealership for me.  The dealership asked him for car details, including odometer reading. The dealership towed my car from the mechanics & repaired at no charge.  It must have been borderline, as to whether it was covered - car would have been 10 yrs at the time.  (Odometer was approx 148,000.)