Spare Aurion keyless entry key

oldcruiser

Hi Guys,

Bought an Aurion zr6 '08 model today... pretty exciting!

One problem - it only came with one key. I'm looking on ebay for a spare but some people are saying on forums that they are only available from Toyota for $490?

Has anyone had any luck sourcing them from ebay or elsewhere?

Thanks for your help!post-13835-0-67195200-1378615113_thumb.jpost-13835-0-79399000-1378615125_thumb.j

Don't waste your money on the Ebay/ China ones. I have tested a couple of these and even though they are the correct frequency and identify as having the right chip for the transponder they wont code in. You also need a scan tool to code it in which would mean you will be paying someone to attempt to code in your key.

Go to an Auto Locksmith, you will get it for the same price as Toyota sell it except you won't have to book your car in for half a day, the dealers get the keys cut my the Locksmith anyway.

Ok, thanks very much for that.

I have found a couple of sellers from USA - they seem to have 2nd hand keys... perhaps from written off lexus?

Here's a link (sorry, I don't know how to hyper-link):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-KEYLESS-KEY-REMOTE-ENTRY-FOB-1551A-14AAB-HYQ14AAB-271451-0140-/230833867284

The serial number HYQ14AAB is the same as my remote.

Has anyone given this a shot?

Cheers!

The dealer won't be able to code in a used Prox but it is possible to do.

Worth a shot but personally I would be going original. If you try and get that coded in and it doesn't work you will be up for a genuine Prox key.

Sweet! It's not essential (my initial concern was being locked out with the only key being accidentally locked inside) but it seems on testing the car knows when the key is inside! Not sure what would happen if I locked it in the boot with all doors locked though...

More importantly is if you loose that key it's not going to be cheap, expect Toyota to quote you up around $4,600.

Prox keys are normally locked in a car when they are in a boot with the shopping or in a bag so even though cars now have the sensors in the boot too, it can still happen.

No typo, give them a call and see what they charge when you have no keys, especially you guys with a 2010 Toyota that has a G stamped on the key. And you might think that us Locksmiths are expensive :) :)

I got a VIN for same car as above to get some prices, these are close to trade price so add on more and then labor. 2 Keys are also needed.

2 Prox keys @$410ea cut and coded = $810

Immobiliser box (Toyota need to replace this) $1000

Lock kit $400

So that is just $2210 in parts, add their labor and Toyota tax you won't get much change from $4,600.

it is much cheaper to get a spare.

Hi mr2, do you know anyone out west who will supply new cut keys? Dealers want $590 a pop. Also, one of them was saying I had to produce the master key (it's got a black border apparently). Will the one I show above in first post do? If not, I might be stiff out of luck....

Cheers!

I do know a couple of guys, where out West are you??

Pretty sure that Toyota don't use Master and Valet keys with Prox, I have never seen it in the menu when coding in a key so ignore what he said.

Thanks mr2, sorry I meant I'm out west as in Western Australia (Perth). Not sure if you have contacts out here?

I think what I might do is buy one of these for $280 on ebay then spend $60 on programming at Toyota, but for $410 I'll consider getting everything from a local auto locksmith.

The ones on ebay are either...

1. New Chinese "Genuine" Toyota ones, good luck with it working

2. used ones, this is the best bet

or

3. From the States, so they will most likely be 1 or 2 plus the wrong frequency.

Those $260 ebay ones I can buy for around $60 if it gives you some idea of the quality.

Turns out the old owner found the spare key...

Really saves a lot of $$

Thanks to all who helped. I wonder how the consumer can influence Toyota to change their ways of shafting us when it comes to support down the road...

Edited by oldcruiser

• 3 weeks later...

For future reference, used keys can be programmed but are very tricky - you need access to a head Toyota technician at their dealership. They call up Toyota for a code to "reseed" the cars computer and basically wipe all keys from the cars memory before adding them all back on.

If you try to use a used key with the normal Toyota Techstream software - it won't be successful.

For future reference, used keys can be programmed but are very tricky - you need access to a head Toyota technician at their dealership. They call up Toyota for a code to "reseed" the cars computer and basically wipe all keys from the cars memory before adding them all back on.If you try to use a used key with the normal Toyota Techstream software - it won't be successful.

Or see a Locksmith :) :)

I hope they find your key too.... I treat each of my keys as if they are worth $600... because they are.

When it's your only key you should price it at a lot more than that :)