TRD Wheels on a ZR6

Hi Guys

I am looking into getting a set of Gunmetal Grey 19" TRD wheels for my ZR6. Anyone tried fitting them? I had a quote from Toyota for 620$ a rim, and just over 400$ each for tires, which is not exactly cheap, but..... I really like the look of the wheels. I saw them on a red ZR6 few days ago, and I couldn't really decide which looked better, the car, or woman driving it. Have to love women in Aurions ;-)

Aurions are popular enough, statistically you will end up finding a driver who is an attractive female. I am sure there are mingers out there as well.

I reckon with that money you can easily get yourself a different set of alloys that will look as good and not cost you so much. $2480 for set? Yeeeeeowch!

• Like 3

They will fit fine, as for cost, when I bought a genuine spare from my local Toyota it stung me $430 for the Gun Metal Grey one, funnily enough the silver version was slightly dearer (maybe because it came off the SL as opposed to the S?) at $450~

As for tires, depending on what sort of driving you plan to be doing, half decent 19s can be as cheap as 170-180, Federal 595s go for about 220-230 which would be the go honestly

I average 1000 kms every week, so I need really good tires. Currently I have stock 17" Zr6 wheels, and Pirelli P1 Cinturato tyres (215/55) 38-40 psi. As the standard size goes, I am happy with Pirellis, but I was born with extremely light right foot ;-) and as a result, tires on my car generally don't last long, I have just over 50000 kms on the Pirelies, and in all honesty, they will not last much longer.

I was thinking 19" wheels, with 245/35ZR Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tires (heard nothing but good things about these tires), basically the same set up that TRD has. What I gathered from scouring the forum is, most other high end tires in this size/profile are either very noisy, or compromise ride comfort. I don mind spending little more to get performance and comfort. And the best part is, anything I buy is 100% tax deductible :-))))

I have Dunlop Sport Maxx RT in 235/40/18R and I was incredibly disappointed with them. I highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport III. In the same size they are more expensive than the Dunlops but they are quieter, more comfortable, better in the wet and equal in the dry plus they are far more grounded when pushing them. They lasted me 35k and I still was 1-2mm away from the indicators before I bought the Dunlops.

35k only? That doesn't sound like much. I guess your right foot is also feather light :mellow:

Unlike the Pirelli P1's, the Michelin Pilot Sport III's are not a 'green' tyre that is designed for high mileage. So I wonder how many km you'll get on them.

I could have reached 40k but I gave them to a mate for burnout tyres.

I've had the Dunlop Sports Maxx (225/45/R17) for about 3 months now and they are not all that great..

I had Bridgestone RE001's previously and these had better handling compared to the Dunlop Maxx.. (although the Dunlops were more quieter than the RE001's)

I've had the Dunlop Sports Maxx (225/45/R17) for about 3 months now and they are not all that great..

I had Bridgestone RE001's previously and these had better handling compared to the Dunlop Maxx.. (although the Dunlops were more quieter than the RE001's)

Christ, the RE001's must make a racket. I can't stand my Sport Maxx RT.

Switching back to the Pilot Sport III (may splurge on the Pilot Super Sport though...)

Hmmmm..... I guess it is a good thing I didn't just go and guy Dunlops. I think I might actually stick to Pirelli's, although, the were was a Continental tyre that looked really good last time I was in a tyre shop. Can't remember the model, but the thread was made of two different materials, about a third of it (outside portion) was smooth and different colour, maybe even red if I remember correctly. Guy in Bob Jane couldn't praise those high enough.

Any experiences with Continentals?