98 Camry Intermittent staring problem

Ignite69

Hi just got my son a 98 camry csx his first car, sometimes it just wont start it might happen once a day or every second day I found that when it wasnt starting that the security light on the dash was not going off when the key was in the ignition after several attempts the light eventually went off and the car started ,

so i went and purchased a new key and programmed it as he only had on key anyway but a day later same problem any help would be apprieciated

• Like 1

As you found out it's not the key, the chips in these very rarely fail. I would first be looking at the antenna that goes around the ignition. the last one that I got from the wreckers was only a couple of dollars.

What else could it be.... it's probably the antenna.

I couldn't find any on Ebay but there will be heaps at the wreckers.

Sorry about the bad photo but you will get the idea. The one in the photo I think might even be the same as yours. These aren't coded to the car so you will have no problem with changing it over. From a wrecker you really shouldn't be paying more than $20 for it, I got this one with the immobilizer box for that.

post-2320-0-34481700-1378817875_thumb.jp

The one in my picture plugs straight into the Immo box so no amplifier.

What do you mean one that sits on the side of the barrel, there is only the one antenna. There could also be a switch on the side of the barrel which is for the buzzer when you leave the key in the ignition.

Well u wont believe it, took off the cover to get to it, unscrewed reader to find no wires connected to it couldnt see the connector so I took off the lower piece of the dash under steering column and saw the box just showing on left side of column so I pulled it out and bugger me its another reader with a key taped into it u bewdy took the barrel out down to the locksmith he matched it the key i found and all good, so the locked must have stuffed up hes grabbed one from wreckers and done that little shifty good idea though

u got me on the right direction cheers Brendon

There are a couple of guys that do that so the customer can use a non transponder key as it is cheaper, it also voids your car insurance and personally I think it is very dodgy . Did you get a spare key while you were at the lock shop?

hopefully it's now all fixed :)

• 1 year later...

When this is the problem, will the engine actually turn over but not start, or will it not even turn over?

Daughters 2002 Camry now doing the same every day or so. Turns over fine but won't start. This only started happening 3 days after it was serviced at a diffrent mechanic to my usual one (because she is away at college, so no choice). Could it be the same problem? (I've asked her to check if the security light is going out - awaiting answer). Or something else (fuel pump/filter, loose sparkplug lead)? It seems to drive fine once started.

The security light will help tell you if the car is accepting the key or not. Get her to note what the security light is doing before she puts her key in ( It should be flashing) and when she puts her key in and turns the car on ( If she has a master key it should go out straight away, if a valet key it will stay lit for half a second then go out). If it continues to flash and the car doesn't start then there is possibly a fault with the immobiliser system.

Thanks mr2. I did ask her to check that and she said one time putting the key in casued the light to go out, the second time it did not, but both times the engine started :blink: Sounds a bit odd to me - should not start if the light is still flashing. Probably need to check it myself, 19yo girls and mechanical stuff = minimal interest....not that it stopped her getting work selling V8 stuff at Bathurst these last few days :D She'll be home in a few weeks, so will do the checks myself :whistling:

• 1 month later...

Yup definitely the imobiliser not switching off, and not the aerial, but seems to be the master key. The light always goes off using the spare key, but sometimes have to put the master in/out six times before security light stops flashing.

With the spare key does it still start and then stop straight away or is the car working properly?? So the issue is ONLY with the master key?

It is very uncommon for the chips to fail but does happen, more so when it is not the original chip and just a "clone chip".. If it is just the master it could still be possible to copy the information from it so you still have a master, you need this to add/ remove keys from your car and becomes expensive when the master is missing.

Brendan, the car is working properly - once started it runs fine.

I would not be suprised if it is not the original master key. We bought it 2nd hand and it came with 2 black keys (no grey valet key) which look quite different and no remote locking fob. We bought a fob from local Toyota dealer for $70 which they programed, but when you unlock the door with that, it does not shut off the imobiliser light (maybe it is not meant to?).

The main black key she has been using (the one which you often have to put in and out of the ignition several times to stop the light flashing) has a button-like circle on it which is not actually a button. The other black key (which works everytime) has no button circle. Both keys open the boot lock - but we had to get the boot lock changed at the locksmith as when we bought it, you could only open the boot with the release lever inside. I think the car was rear-ended and the boot replaced, as parts of the car have been re-sprayed, the stop light on the rear wing is not wired up, and some of the light access panels inside the boot are missing.

So we may not have the original master - we could have 2 clone masters? Would it be worth using one of these keys to get a proper Master added? What might that cost?

The other thing to add is both keys make the security light go out straight away when put in the ignition, without the need to turn the
key. It does not stay lit for half a sec.

Also, neither key has the Toyota symbol on it - a quick search for images of 2002 Camry keys suggests it should.

cheers

Edited by thommo

Sounds like you have aftermarket keys which would jut be a clone of the original master. yes it would be worth getting a proper chip coded into you car, this doesn't mean that you have to go to Toyota though just make sure that whoever you go to knows what they are doing... Tell them that it has to be a carbon chip and not a glass TPX.

Cost wise I do these for $160 on site for a complete key. Does yours have a red or black insert in the top of the key? and if so can you pull it out, not everyone glues these in. There will be a small hole in the bottom of the key near the blade, you can poke the insert up with that ( If it hasn't been glued). If it comes out you only need the chip replaced and not the whole key, this should only cost you $50 or so with getting it coded. I can send you one if you like and you can code it in yourself provided your other key is a master.

Thanks Brendan. Actually, I was wrong (going senile in my old age!). One key (the one which seems to be working fine) does have the Toyota symbol on it - maybe this is Master? The one which is playing up (a clone?) does not have the symbol.

Neither appear to have an insert (photo of both below).

Edited by thommo

Bottom one is a Master ( Black key, security light goes straight out) Top one is a copy, so I would bet money that its the glass chip that is in it and it's broken. I don't use that style key but I'm guessing that there would be a seam around the out side of the head? If so if it hasn't been glued it will come apart.

Bye they way, I can cut a mechanical key of that photo... it's a good idea to not show the cuts of the key. I know it is very unlikely that someone will cut a key from this picture and know where you live.....but they could if they wanted to :_

Thanks Brendan

Key photo deleted - don't want on our hands the demise of some poor muppet who tries to pinch our daughters car, and have her kick ***** and pick handles out of them. I'll see what I can do about getting another with a carbon chip done based on the Master. If no go locally, will be in touch with you.