What is the cheapest way to improve handling

bathuu

Hi guys,

What is the cheapest way to improve handling on my car. It is stock standard sportivo with factory front and rear strut bar. Currently running crap chinese tyre /man, it would not wear down/. I believe suspension setting is little better than Altise and other models.

Overall, I am pretty happy with the car. But sometimes I like it throw in the corner and wish it handled little better.

Besides getting better quality tyres what is the good way without spending mega bucks to improve handling or boaty feeling.

What is the cheapest way to improve handling on my car.

Sell it. :P

As Jeffy said, rear swaybar. You should be able to get out of it under $350 fitted, depending on price of the bar.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail4.php?part_number=BTR39

• 2 weeks later...

cut the springs, but you wont be able to get a roadworthy when you sell it ... you will have to replace the springs when you get a roadworthy.

^absolutely stupid as hell.

Handling is hard as the ratio between cost and effectiveness is pretty dramatic. If you want it to really handle well, put some camber on the wheels, lower it a bit, preferably using king springs, make the sway bars thicker for both rear and front and maybe put a sway bar also above the engine bay using the suspension mountings.. But all that being said, you will be quite out of pocket, but if you spend only a few hundred you arent gonna feel as much of a difference.

Oh and do it all yourself, its tough, its messy, its time consuming but you cut out about 50% of your costs if not more...

Edited by doobey123

• 2 months later...

Rear sway bar, poly urethane bushes,

Other than that coilovers.

Thinking to do these upgrades as fund allows in the future. Getting first one done tomorrow, so others to will be followed eventually in due course.

The second upgrade will be poly urethane bushes. I think i definitely should do bushes as i can feel disconnected sogginess over bumps and train tracks and it must be soft rubber bushes mashing things up..

So the questions are

1) how much would I be looking at if i buy set of poly bushes?

2) Is this feasible DIY or bit too much and should be done by shops?

3)if it is to be done by shops how much rough estimate that I am looking to pay for their labour?

Cheers

Rear sway bar, poly urethane bushes,

Other than that coilovers.

Thinking to do these upgrades as fund allows in the future. Getting first one done tomorrow, so others to will be followed eventually in due course.

The second upgrade will be poly urethane bushes. I think i definitely should do bushes as i can feel disconnected sogginess over bumps and train tracks and it must be soft rubber bushes mashing things up..

So the questions are

1) how much would I be looking at if i buy set of poly bushes?

2) Is this feasible DIY or bit too much and should be done by shops?

3)if it is to be done by shops how much rough estimate that I am looking to pay for their labour?

Cheers

How old are your shocks? They will almost be on their way out. Replacing them will make a huge difference (KYB Excel-G are affordable and good replacements).

Poly bushings are unnecessary unless they need replacing with the exception of the Lower Steering Rack bushes which really does wonders for steering feel and response. If your car is pulling left or right, get a set of the eccentric (offset) control arm bushes which will make your car drive straight.

Realistically, the rear sway bar is still by far the best value for money upgrade for handling.

Thanks for the reply Andrew. I feel all sorts of disconnected handling when i drive over irregular roads. I don't know the age of the shocks as it came with the car. I don't see any oil leak things from the shocks. However, the driver side sits a centimeter lower than passenger side when i measured from the centre of wheel hub. All these disconnected feelings could be steering rack bush, and wheel bushes or shot shocks. I guess I just start tackle them one by one as I go in the future.

by the way is it the lower steering rack bushes?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-Camry-2002-2006-F-Steering-Rack-Pinion-Mount-Bush-SuperPro-SPF2857K-/360753299563?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53fe92806b

and lower control arm eccentric bushes?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Camry-2002-2006-F-Control-Arm-Lower-Inner-Front-Kit-SuperPro-SPF2663K-/380732447661?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a56c1bad&vxp=mtr

As for the shocks springs, better to go with KYB and king low for $500-600 or a coilover for around $1000-1200? It looks like for coilovers I have to spend twice much money than low spring and shock.

Done the rear sway bar myself today, and I've got a problem.

After replacing the bar and tightening bolts I have snapped one of the bolts that hold sway bar to the frame. The threaded end left in the frame. I am bit disappointed Toyota used p1ss soft tiny bolts for the sway bar holder hook. I did not apply even that much torque to tighten the bolt. The bolt looks like made from very soft metal. Any solutions and ideas how to get the snapped end off the frame and get a stronger replacement bolt?yq14.jpg

Cheers

Edited by bathuu

The items you have linked appear to be the right ones but you will need to assess which Lower Control Arm bush you need. They sell offset kits as well to correct steering to allow the car to drive straight when the wheel is pointed straight. I personally needed a double offset kit which coincidentally I just found out today have failed after some 40000km; which is fricken annoying.

I wouldn't give any of the low end coils (BC/DGR/K-Sport/D2) the time of day, so I would go the shock/spring combo but you will sacrifice the ability to really drop the car on it's *****. Ultimately though, it is up to you.

I don't mind if car is not low and I know lowering helps for handling. But lower look is not what I am after.

I just want this camry's famous boaty bouncy characteristics of the car is gone.

Is this caused by softer springs or shot shocks? How do I stiffen up the car to achieve what i want?

Should i first try shocks on my stocks spring or go for stiffer springs and new shocks altogether?

Cheers

Edited by bathuu

I don't mind if car is not low and I know lowering helps for handling. But lower look is not what I am after.

I just want this camry's famous boaty bouncy characteristics of the car is gone.

Is this caused by softer springs or shot shocks? How do I stiffen up the car to achieve what i want?

Should i first try shocks on my stocks spring or go for stiffer springs and new shocks altogether?

Cheers

The standard Sportivo setup in reviews all say it handles well but isn't a racing car so it is likely your shocks are dead. Replacing the shocks on their own will make a big difference;given the labour required it isn't a bad idea to replace the springs as well. I was very happy when I replaced my worn shocks with the KYB Excel G and a King Low Sprng combination.

Where can I source some KYB Excel G shocks cheaply? The cheapest i find on ebay is $160 each or $600 a set, which a bit steeper than I thought. Is this normal price? In this case, shocks $600 + springs $300 almost reaching to coilover price territory.

Where can I source some KYB Excel G shocks cheaply? The cheapest i find on ebay is $160 each or $600 a set, which a bit steeper than I thought. Is this normal price? In this case, shocks $600 + springs $300 almost reaching to coilover price territory.

That's about the right price.

It's your choice RE: Coilovers or Shock/Spring combo

Is not general consensus that coilovers are always better and expensive than springs and shocks?

Just because it is a coilover doesn't mean it is better. I wouldn't touch the entry level coils with a 30 foot pole.

Way late, but my 5c (+GST) worth would be -

First - Throw the Panda Poo tyres as far as you can. The difference between cheap tyres and good (ie not just the cheapest non-Chinese) is night and day.More grip, quieter, smoother, no going out of round overnight.

Shocks. Good quality shocks (KYB as mentioned, or take your choice) will be better than what the car came with new. A rule of thumb is to replace your shocks with every second set of tyres. Nobody does! Crappy roads will shorten their life as well. Soggy shocks bring boat like handling, and make the car feel like it's rolling more as it will heel over quicker to a given point.
New gas shocks will reduce roll a bit, but more importantly, the car won't lurch into a corner.

Springs. Probably worth doing with the shocks, and may influence your choice of shock - shorter springs may require shorter shocks, not sure on the Camry. I seem to remember the Sportivo was already a touch lower than the stock Camry, so don't go too far. Running out of suspension travel ain't good, nor is dragging the belly over speed bumps. The Falcodore/200SX/etc boys who run no travel at all must have all manner of fun when the suspension bottoms out on a bump going around a corner.

Sway bars (anti roll bars if you like). Most front drivers will benefit from a harder rear bar, as it makes the read end work harder. Resisting the car's natural tendency to roll will put more load on the outer rear tyre, taking some off the front, thus reducing understeer. But... Go too far, ie too big a bar, and it will want to swap ends on you, usually in the wet.

OK, I'll shut up now :clap:

thanks for the replies guys,

I am pretty much set on lowered king/kyb combo. i have a quick question re king springs. How is the load ratng of the lowered spring? Is it better than my stock spring? Currently i am on the road with a bit of load in the trunk and 2 passengers in the back and rear wheel arch is about 3cm away /usually 5-6cm when not loaded/ from the wheel. i am thinking if king spring can handle this sort of load and if not should i look for heavy duty version of lowered king springs for rear springs? It is important for me as i do quite bit of road trip.

Edited by bathuu