diesel performance chip

prodigy 07

Hii guys, a friend of mine recently bought a 150 series prado and has done the usual exhaust, snorkel and bullbar. Now he is considering a performance chip. I told him to do his research on them first because some of the cheaper ones may cause damage. Just wondering if club members here may have any suggestions.

Unichip or ECUTek.. but this one works on petrol, I am using unichip and like it very much,

Unfortunately, rarely are these toys plug and play, you need to pay someone to tune, so you are looking to pay 1K+

http://www.unichip.net.au/petrol-results/toyota-petrol.html (scroll to the bottom)

Edited by ben yip

Hii guys, a friend of mine recently bought a 150 series prado and has done the usual exhaust, snorkel and bullbar. Now he is considering a performance chip. I told him to do his research on them first because some of the cheaper ones may cause damage. Just wondering if club members here may have any suggestions.

Need to know if diesel or petrol

Sorry guys. Its the diesel. The local performance diesel workshop has been trying to sell him a "dp chip" for somewhere around $1200. I'm not questioning the price, just don't wanna see him stuff it. I dont know exactly how this chip works. Fuel rail pressure? Inlet temperature? Like I said, was just hoping to find someone here with experience in this.

buy the following, they have prado diesel avaliable, it is avaliable in australia, and get someone professionally done for you

http://www.unichip.net.au/diesel-results/toyota.html (scroll down for 2009 prado)

In US,it is only for 600, plug and play, not sure if it fits australia model

http://www.unichip.us/vehicle/vehicles/3506-2010-Toyota-Prado-D4D-Diesel-turbo

Unichip is a famous product, and I have been using it in my car for few years now, and I like it, you can click my signature below for dyno graph

Australia dealers are below

http://www.unichip.net.au/dealers.html

When it comes to chipping, get someone you trust to do it

Edited by ben yip
  • Like 1

Indeed, for a diesel either HKS or Unichip are the best and safest options. Alot of chips out there might promise even better gains etc, but they accomplish it in ways which can be very detrimental to the lifespan of the engine.
Chipit was quite popular until recently (due to poor customer service more than anything) but even they can't compare to unichip or HKS. They have recently released a new product called the Dominator ecu, but there are reports errors, fault codes and sometimes even non-delivery from chipit themselves for this product. For this reason they've been removed as sponsors from many other forums so keep this in mind when looking around,

With either HKS or unichip the best option is for a custom dyno tune, for best economy and power/torque output.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Sorry guys. Its the diesel. The local performance diesel workshop has been trying to sell him a "dp chip" for somewhere around $1200. I'm not questioning the price, just don't wanna see him stuff it. I dont know exactly how this chip works. Fuel rail pressure? Inlet temperature? Like I said, was just hoping to find someone here with experience in this.

I have a DP chip in my Prado D4D (2008)Auto. For around 4 years and around 80K+. It has done it's job well. I tow a 20' van and it is definitely an improvement. In standard trim I feel that the prado is a little sluggish at lower RPM, and in my opinion thats where the chip helps the most. I don't work my Prado very hard and the chip does its job well. I also run UNI Filter and a larger exhaust(beaudesert). I had mine tuned up by turbo Engineering in Melbourne and ray informed me that the DP chip increases injection PSI to gain the increase in performance. He did tweak it a tad(probably thru one of the settings). He did say the changes that the DP made appeared to not adversely affect the engine.

He did say that injecting at 30,000psi is a bit of an unknown. He told me all the euro diesels inject at around that pressure.